210 Trade | EpiCentre

monsoon

10 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I was recently in Seattle and the Pacific Place reminded me of the Epicentre a little bit (design).  Although theirs is enclosed, it has a similar open-air, multistory retail destination.  No clubs, not too many bars, but rather shopping retail and restaurants.  This is probably a similar vision the Epicentre's owners would like to emulate.  Anchored by a Barnes & Nobles, shops that include Francesca's, Victoria's Secret, Kate Spade, J Crew, Michael Kors, JNBY to name a few.  An AMC Theaters up top.  Just a very cool place downtown and something I wish the Epicentre could become someday.  Let's hope changes come sooner rather than later. 

1194629841_PacificPlace.jpg.2ffd6459c35b9ca613ccdeab6dd4b1b9.jpg

Yeah, this is definitely the best-case scenario for the EpiCentre. Pacific Place is never super-busy but the stores there are decent and they've got a couple good restaurants. It's not a destination in and of itself but it's another good example of Seattle's downtown retail.

• Like 2

I was recently in Seattle and the Pacific Place reminded me of the Epicentre a little bit (design).  Although theirs is enclosed, it has a similar open-air, multistory retail destination.  No clubs, not too many bars, but rather shopping retail and restaurants.  This is probably a similar vision the Epicentre's owners would like to emulate.  Anchored by a Barnes & Nobles, shops that include Francesca's, Victoria's Secret, Kate Spade, J Crew, Michael Kors, JNBY to name a few.  An AMC Theaters up top.  Just a very cool place downtown and something I wish the Epicentre could become someday.  Let's hope changes come sooner rather than later. 
1194629841_PacificPlace.jpg.2ffd6459c35b9ca613ccdeab6dd4b1b9.jpg

I haven’t seen an indication that that is the Epicentre owners vision. If anything their silence towards rumors stoked by Fox Charlotte and other local TV news stations speaks volumes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Until they move the bus center/hangout joint they are always gonna have kids loiter, steal from stores if any come, and just make the general public uncomfortable gong in the epicenter.   Everybody I see passes the bus center on the opposite side of the street if they need to go by  it. 

My days of going to the epictre are over bc I’m 35 now but I feel like the only people that have been going to the epicenter the last couple years are people from the burbs and bachelorette parties looking to come to the big city for fun.   I Don’t know anybody who lives in town and regularly goes out ever go to the epicenter anymore. 

• Like 1

Certainly wasn't my first visit to Asheville, but I went today and took note of what I saw, it will be incredibly hard to recreate the streetscape there naturally, but a muti-block spread of bars, restaurants, art galleries, shops, with some parks and limited surface lots made for a great evening with my brother. I think Uptown is doing a good job at recreating a natural cityscape when it comes to the spread of entertainment, nightlife, and some burgeoning retail. My brother put it well, he asked me if it would be possible for someone to live their day to day life in Uptown, assuming they worked there, and the answer is generally yes, but it's not an obvious yes, I think the Epicenter becoming more of a retail hub, with some bars and restaurants still sprinkled in, would make Uptown truly a more livable area, and as much as I wish to discourage unregulated car traffic into Uptown, despite often driving there myself, I believe offering validated parking (with reasonable limits like the Whole Foods at Stonewall, or the Harris Teeter) will help to thin the crowd of degenerates who have tainted what was a promising venture at one point. 

1020,  225, and Clttranspro, if I could like your post a 1000 times, I would.  Ppl true colors are coming out on this one.  Just go ahead, stop the charade, and just say what graphic, you feel is responsible, for the crime wave at the Epic Center.  You've certainly thrown enough hints, that's for sure!

Edited by Hornets
  • Like 2

On 11/29/2019 at 2:55 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I haven’t seen an indication that that is the Epicentre owners vision. If anything their silence towards rumors stoked by Fox Charlotte and other local TV news stations speaks volumes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meaning that the rumors might be dead-on ?

15 hours ago, nicholas said:

Great job pushing the racial agenda forwards.  There is a reason that some people are uncomfortable around the Epicentre and transportation center, and if you bothered to read through the thread and check out some of the articles that have been linked, you would see why.

"Holaday’s murder was one of at least 18 reported Epicentre crimes since 2017 that involved a gun, data show.  Across the street, the Charlotte Transportation Center reported 22 crimes involving a gun. Only the airport had more – and most of them were nonviolent weapons law violations."

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article237668974.html

Are people going to be drawn to a block where at least 40 crimes involving guns have been committed in the past two years??? 

People who aren't afraid of a very Diverse city aren't crossing the street because the bus transit has a lot of Black people...lol.  Stop framing it as though these sorts of incidents are exclusive to Charlotte.  Charlotte ain't this quaint little ole Huckleberry town anymore.  Just last night in New Orleans:

Last night on  Canal St:

https://www.wdsu.com/article/nopd-at-least-10-people-shot-along-canal-street/30064186

Maybe they should shut down Canal St.  In a REAL urban city, this stuff is status quo, especially in entertainment districts/areas.   Either get over your fear or do something else with your time....welcome to the big leagues.   The stats don't bear out this unwarranted fear as thousands of people frequent the Epi each week without incident.  

Here's how a sunbelt city used to dealing with entertainment address the issue:

https://www.wkrn.com/news/crime-tracker/violent-crime-on-the-rise-in-downtown-nashville/

7 minutes ago, Durhamite said:

People who aren't afraid of a very Diverse city aren't crossing the street because the bus transit has a lot of Black people...lol.  Stop framing it as though these sorts of incidents are exclusive to Charlotte.  Charlotte ain't this quaint little ole Huckleberry town anymore.  Just last night in New Orleans:

Last night on  Canal St:

https://www.wdsu.com/article/nopd-at-least-10-people-shot-along-canal-street/30064186

Maybe they should shut down Canal St.  In a REAL urban city, this stuff is status quo, especially in entertainment districts/areas.   Either get over your fear or do something else with your time....welcome to the big leagues.   The stats don't bear out this unwarranted fear as thousands of people frequent the Epi each week without incident.  

https://www.wkrn.com/news/crime-tracker/violent-crime-on-the-rise-in-downtown-nashville/

Canal Street and Epicentre aren't the same thing, even if they both have crime.

2 hours ago, Durhamite said:

Last night on  Canal St:

Where have I said that this is exclusive to Charlotte???  There is crime in every city.  I am white and have walked past the transfer center and Epicentre many times without incident.  The only exception I can remember was some drunk/high guy (who was also white) who started asking for money and wanted me to take his picture for some reason (I had my camera with me, but still, odd request).  I've had a lot more issues on Tryon St over the years with people asking me for money, trying to get me to ride around uptown in their car (seriously, wtf), or offering me a "brand new" pair of Jordans for $60.

Not sure I understand the comparison to Canal St.  It is a historic street with a lot of legacy.  The Epicentre and transit center are (relatively speaking) new draws to the area and don't yet carry the same weight as Canal St.

Edited by nicholas

I used to avoid the sidewalk on Trade near the transit center before they cracked down on loitering (And I used CTC to get to UNCC daily and occasionally South Park. And randomly for Burger King) But for the last few years, it seems like the loitering went away. 

(And I too avoided birkdale village for a while on Friday nights because  high schoolers just overran the place and caused trouble too. Including big fights I’ve witnessed.) 

I think if people feel unsafe, they should probably follow that instinct. They’re also probably nervous near allies, walking to a parking garage alone, etc. but people get used to areas. Or find solutions. 

With that said. Tearing down this place or white-washing it isn’t going to help the situation. Mass transit and other stores and places to eat, etc. that cater to all demographics, not just white collar whites with no kids, is what uptown needs. 

You have a divide between demographics. Us vs. them. I don’t think it’s people being prejudice, at all, the city is just set up to keep people divided. Essex, the new places at 300 south trying, BofA plaza renovations etc aren’t going to bring different demographics together

• Like 1

RE: Transit Center

I think if CATS did a better job of keeping the TC clean and well-lit, there would be fewer problems. When it first opened, the steel trusses and exhaust stacks were lined in neon, the bays were better lit, and it was kept clean. Now there are broken shards of neon tubing and trash everywhere. It's a proven fact that when buildings are allowed to deteriorate and/or look run down, crime or no crime, the perception is that there is danger. Clean it up, get better lighting, and for god's sake, have it power washed!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Seabrooke said:

I walk by it all the time with no issue. If you do constantly have problems walking by it, I’d maybe do some self reflection on what kind of vibe you’re putting off when passing it. I’m imagining a fast pace gripping your personal belongings for dear life pretending you have a text message to avoid eye contact and pretending to not hear someone if they say something to you. Try confidence and treating people with respect and as equals, and youll be fine...

Isn't this akin to victim blaming?  

FWIW, I seem to have the same problem. I've recounted a couple of incidents I've had on The Blue Line, and now I can mark yet another incident with a homeless dude in, of all places, Boulder Colorado (on Pearl Street).  Maybe it is my vibe, but my paranoia is only increasing these days, especially since I'm usually walking with my 7 year old.  I hate to turn into a gun carrier, but what's an old man to do ?

• Thanks 2

I would argue it's about economics.  Rich people, middle class people, aren't comfortable around poor people, regardless of race.  I mean, look at how people react to poor white areas in say, rural NC or Appalachia.  Talk about gross prejudice, generalizations and stereotyping.  

Edited by Phillydog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...