Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

I don't know how long this has been up, but I just noticed it. Sorry if this has been mentioned. Fluor has their name on their building now. The large white letters stand out quite well on the black building and are VERY visible from Haywood. Good exposure and a nice name to have looming in the distance.

I mentioned that to my sweetie on Sat. and she swears it has always been there. :dontknow:

Apparently the folks at the Aladdin restaurant on Congaree Road took the general public's comments seriously. They wasted no time in painting the exterior trim red, eliminating the "cheap" appearance that the royal blue provided. I think it is a great improvement, personally. :shades:

My wife rented "Catch and Release" on Friday and we watched it over the weekend. The movie is set in Boulder, Colorado and there's a line in the movie that refers to Boulder as "a Patagonia Disneyland" - I had to laugh at that. Although it refers to Boulder, I could very much see Greenville sorta becoming like a "Patagonia Disneyland" with all of the great outdoors activities that there are around this area: kayaking, cycling, fly fishing, hiking, mountain biking, camping, etc.

My wife rented "Catch and Release" on Friday and we watched it over the weekend. The movie is set in Boulder, Colorado and there's a line in the movie that refers to Boulder as "a Patagonia Disneyland" - I had to laugh at that. Although it refers to Boulder, I could very much see Greenville sorta becoming like a "Patagonia Disneyland" with all of the great outdoors activities that there are around this area: kayaking, cycling, fly fishing, hiking, mountain biking, camping, etc.

Ding ding ding ding! And we have a winner! :D This is precisely what some of our leaders and community activists have envisioned as possibly our best tourism magnet. :hi:

You hit the nail on the head RT.

Perfect analogy! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Apparently the folks at the Aladdin restaurant on Congaree Road took the general public's comments seriously. They wasted no time in painting the exterior trim red, eliminating the "cheap" appearance that the royal blue provided. I think it is a great improvement, personally. :shades:

I'll have to drive by on my way to work. That blue was hideous!

Didn't know where to post this, but there was an article today on greenvilleonline.com stating that Greenville has one of the lowest costs of living in the nation. Now the interesting part was they studied Greenville and Spartanburg individually and it said that Greenville was like the 85th largest area studied with a population of 570,538 and Spartanburg was 166th with 259,224. If only Greenville and Spartanburg's populations reflected these numbers maybe people and businesses would'nt be so reluctant to give us a chance. Although Greenville is starting to come into it's on we could still use a little help. Spartanburg too, I didnt forget about ya'll :P .

Ok, I know it has been a holiday weekend, but for the past couple of weeks this forum has been DEAD! Many of our projects are in a holding pattern, or in the twilight zone, so maybe that is the major cause. Still, when "disc golf" and "bike to work day" have become the busiest threads, there has to be something wrong! :rolleyes::whistling:

Hi Everyone,

This might not be my place to say this, but as someone who has posted here for a couple of years and contributes daily to the forum I have to speak up. I just noticed that g-man430 has been banned, and all of the drama is getting really old. I enjoy having him post here, and feel that he adds something to the forum that nobody else does. He brings a youthful enthusiasm regarding economic development to the forum. Also, he is willing to contact developers and obtain information - something most of us do not have time for. Sure, he posts a lot and sometimes talks out of both sides of his mouth, but he's also 19. I'm not trying to make excuses for g-man, but I am impressed by the fact that he is already interested in what's going on in his city.

But anyway, I don't know what he's done to get banned/suspended so many times, but as someone who reads this board multiple times I can't help but wonder what is going on. First he's banned, no wait, he's suspended for two weeks. Then he's back for a few days. No wait, he's suspended again. Hold on, he has a new screen name. And another. That's not allowed, so he's banned again. Conclusion: this is getting really old! I don't know who is to blame - whether it's g-man himself, or moderators who can't make up their minds - but regardless, the charade is distracting from the discussions. At least that's how I feel.

I hope g-man is allowed to have an account, and if so I hope he can follow the rules like everyone else. It seems that he really enjoys posting here. If he didn't, I don't think he would have 20+ posts per day, and often single-handedly keep threads going on his own. But perhaps he only wants to post here under his own set of rules. I don't know, but as I said before, something's got to give.

I am kindly asking everyone involved to come up with a reasonable solution (if one has not been determined already). The integrity of this forum - which is one of the most popular on UrbanPlanet in terms of readership, traffic, and posts per day - is at stake.

Thanks for reading,

Greenville

P.S. Sorry if I hijacked this thread. That is not my intent, and if this post belongs elsewhere please move it to the appropriate place. I just felt that something needed to be said. Thanks again.

Edited by Greenville

I agree with Greenville. G-man brings a lot of good information to this board. I know that he rubs some people the wrong way, but really, is anything he does worth getting banned for? I get the feeling that some people might be too sensitive. It's just a message board. It's not like he's going around smashing mailboxes and kicking puppies.

Without g-man, it's kind of dull around here.

P.S. I am not g-man.

I'm going to throw in my $0.02 here. He was passionate about Greenville, I stand corrected, he is passionate. That passion can carry over to posts, and arguments ensue. Likewise, I've wondered at times when I ranted on like maybe 10 posts, if that were grounds to get me banned. I just know that if something pisses me off, I need to walk away and cool off. The nature of the beast in ourselves is to fight, or flight, and flight I don't think was in g-man's vocabulary unless it dealt with GSP. I think that he just got carried away. Now, with that said, I'm sure that he might have pissed off a few people in other subforums, I mean, I saw his new sig welcome to the ATL, and I thought to myself "WTF?"

Anyways, I remember when I was 19, just five years ago, and I was a hothead if there ever was one. Hopefully he'll grow up in the next few years. He's had some great ideas, and truth be told, he could very well be the next leader of Greenville County. If he ran, I'd move back, into said district, and he'd have my vote. I'm sure that council sessions would be entertaining to say the least. Of course, would the UP Mod team be there to ban him from speaking at the meetings if he got carried away? I mean, would Spartan and Krazeeboi be sitting there with duct tape and a straitjacket?

/end rant

I want to be very careful what I say regarding this present discussion because it is easy to be misunderstood on any online forum.

Over a year ago I had a silly idea that we could post nominations for "UP Greenville" awards for members who specialize in specific categories. The very first award I thought of was, "The Most Ambitious Member Award," which obviously should go to g-man430. Most of us have just as much passion for Greenville, but none of us have shown this much ambition. Ambition can be a priceless treasure, a valuable tool to use in accomplishing unprecidented tasks of benefit, however, misguided ambition can be very detrimental to any hope of progress. G-man seems to have enough ambition to be dangerous. Perhaps we all do at times. I know there have been moments when my ambition to see Greenville grow has caused a negative impact to that very goal I so desperately work for. We are all human (as far as I know) and as such can be expected to make at least occasional mistakes. Part of maturity is knowing how to harness our senses and channel them into the useful instruments they are meant to be. That includes understanding the limits of useful verbal expression to complete strangers. While I absolutely appreciate g-man's many online discoveries, his constantly belligerent attitude toward everyone else became annoying to some of us long ago. The administrators have shown plenty of mercy and patience with him, but his fate is in his own hands, just as is each of ours. I have been hoping he would learn to respect and appreciate their benevolence, but it may be too late now. :unsure:

By the way, everything G-man discovered online can be discovered by any of us as well. It just takes enough ambition to keep digging through pages of search results and following links on various websites - especially our local government sites. Each of us also has the ability to send e-mail to any of the developers and politicians in town. We aren't being forced to rely on one person's correspondence. It is that simple. :thumbsup:

I tend to agree with all of the posts above. He does have a great passion for the city and that passion has gotten us "in the know" many times (e.g. Project Skyline). I believe G-man was the one who found this DAYS before any news outlet released information. And when he is gone, activity definitely drops.

I'd personally like to know why he keeps getting banned and what he has done this time in particular. Can someone shed light on this? I think that if we all wouldn't mind seeing him come back, we'd all be willing to, in some form or fashion, help hold him accountable for not committing those same mistakes... :dontknow:

I want to be very careful what I say regarding this present discussion because it is easy to be misunderstood on any online forum.

Over a year ago I had a silly idea that we could post nominations for "UP Greenville" awards for members who specialize in specific categories. The very first award I thought of was, "The Most Ambitious Member Award," which obviously should go to g-man430. Most of us have just as much passion for Greenville, but none of us have shown this much ambition. Ambition can be a priceless treasure, a valuable tool to use in accomplishing unprecidented tasks of benefit, however, misguided ambition can be very detrimental to any hope of progress. G-man seems to have enough ambition to be dangerous. Perhaps we all do at times. I know there have been moments when my ambition to see Greenville grow has caused a negative impact to that very goal I so desperately work for. We are all human (as far as I know) and as such can be expected to make at least occasional mistakes. Part of maturity is knowing how to harness our senses and channel them into the useful instruments they are meant to be. That includes understanding the limits of useful verbal expression to complete strangers. While I absolutely appreciate g-man's many online discoveries, his constantly belligerent attitude toward everyone else became annoying to some of us long ago. The administrators have shown plenty of mercy and patience with him, but his fate is in his own hands, just as is each of ours. I have been hoping he would learn to respect and appreciate their benevolence, but it may be too late now. :unsure:

By the way, everything G-man discovered online can be discovered by any of us as well. It just takes enough ambition to keep digging through pages of search results and following links on various websites - especially our local government sites. Each of us also has the ability to send e-mail to any of the developers and politicians in town. We aren't being forced to rely on one person's correspondence. It is that simple. :thumbsup:

I think you've summed it up quite eloquently here, Skyliner. I don't think anyone else amongst us could have phrased it better. Mr. Sharp does have a great deal to offer; however, he's the Anakin Skywalker of Urban Planet...and I got tired of trying to be Obi-Wan Kenobi ages ago. Unfortunately, I don't have the time (time is a necessary factor, too) or ambition to contact all of these various developers or dig for the information the way he does.

I think you've summed it up quite eloquently here, Skyliner. I don't think anyone else amongst us could have phrased it better. Mr. Sharp does have a great deal to offer; however, he's the Anakin Skywalker of Urban Planet...and I got tired of trying to be Obi-Wan Kenobi ages ago. Unfortunately, I don't have the time (time is a necessary factor, too) or ambition to contact all of these various developers or dig for the information the way he does.

Hey....don't bring Star Wars into this! What has George Lucas ever done to you?