Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

I think the phone book madness has gone two far with all the competing yellow page companies and competing phone books out there.

I remember when I was working at an office a few years ago and this dude dropped off about 24 of that alternative phone book and the secretary told him to take them back because they wanted the "real" phone book. I don't mind getting extra ones however because I have more I can toss in the recycle bin and feel good about myself! :whistling:

:rofl:

Seriously however I can't even remember the last time I actually used a phone book for anything.

Exactly! I almost always look up phone numbers online. It is faster and easier. The only time I use a phone book is if I'm out of town in a hotel room but don't want to pay for internet access. :lol:

Exactly! I almost always look up phone numbers online. It is faster and easier. The only time I use a phone book is if I'm out of town in a hotel room but don't want to pay for internet access. :lol:

Funny. I just used my phone book last night for the first time in a very, very, very long time. My power went out (hence no internet) and I had to call Duke Power to inform them of the power outage.

Thinner paper and smaller print. What irritates me about these things is that I get a new phone book from one of 3 or 4 companies at least every 3 months or so. I actually do like to keep one up to date phone book around, just in case. Can't say I really use it that much though.

Thinner paper and smaller print. What irritates me about these things is that I get a new phone book from one of 3 or 4 companies at least every 3 months or so. I actually do like to keep one up to date phone book around, just in case. Can't say I really use it that much though.

I don't think it's thinner paper, cause it used to be thicker than some of our peer cities, like Cola and Knoxville. If it were thinner paper (or smaller print), all of them would have shrunk.

I guess I am the only one who uses them then. I use mine at least weekly. :P I agree, that the other phone book is not as good.

Did you guys see this?

The 3 million that was suppose to go to Donaldson for improvement for Lockheed, is now going to construct a new port road. This is not good news for the 1,200 jobs in question at Lockheed.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....EWS01/704110368

I did see that. I wonder the details of this. The main question is 'why'? I wonder how 1200 jobs compares to what the road will provide...??? :dontknow:

Here is an article in The Greenville News about a group of downtown businesspeople who want for the city and county to increase their efforts in marketing downtown:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....NEWS01/70416022

I find this to be interesting, and will be curious to see how their presentation is received at tomorrow's council meeting. Some of their suggestions are very good ones, and I fully support better recruitment efforts to try to increase the number of companies with a downtown presence.

I find this to be interesting, and will be curious to see how their presentation is received at tomorrow's council meeting. Some of their suggestions are very good ones, and I fully support better recruitment efforts to try to increase the number of companies with a downtown presence.

I agree. Let's hope for the best. :thumbsup:

Anybody think the new development at the Point, Magnolia Park Town Center, or the development at I-85 and Highway 14 might include a IMAX theater? I would rather see one be built downtown somewhere, but I would also rather see one built at one of these developments than no where at all.

I did see that. I wonder the details of this. The main question is 'why'? I wonder how 1200 jobs compares to what the road will provide...??? :dontknow:

That new port road is very important as the Port of Charleston is a significant economic engine for the entire state (especially since Savannah's and Norfolk's ports have surpassed Charleston), but wow, I wasn't expecting this at all. Couldn't the $3 million have been taken from something else?

That new port road is very important as the Port of Charleston is a significant economic engine for the entire state (especially since Savannah's and Norfolk's ports have surpassed Charleston), but wow, I wasn't expecting this at all. Couldn't the $3 million have been taken from something else?

In a recent Greenville News article, they said that the $3 million that would go to Donaldson Center for improvements to the facility and keep Lockheed Martin here has been found and added to the budget: http://www.greenvillenews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...SINESS/70413027

Edited by g-man430

Where is everybody? Is there some new holiday i'm not aware of? :dontknow:

You're a couple days early or I'd think everybody was off celebrating 4/20.

LOL @ "has been found"...

I'm now wishing I hadn't turned that brief case in to the authorities...I didn't even check to see what was inside... :lol:

I assume it is connected to the kick-off party for Artisphere 2007. I am out of town until Saturday afternoon, so I hope someone has been there taking photos for us. :shades:

Not me, I'm afraid. I'll be down there this weekend though, if I can ever get all of my work caught up.

Edited by RestedTraveler