Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

Speaking of Greenville's growing success, just take into account the recent news;

• Greenville was chosen to host the 2008 Bassmaster Classic
  • Greenville was chosen to host the 2008 SoCon college baseball tournament
  • Greenville is likely to be chosen to host the 2008 Wing Ding
  • Greenville just hosted the largest charity golf event in the nation, the BI-LO Charity Classic
  • Greenville is about to host the USA Cycling Professional Championships for the second consecutive year
  • Greenville will eventually host the Gary Player Invitational, another World-class event

This list includes just a few of the many events and developments that have brought Greenville unprecidented success. Mayor White envisions much more success to come. :shades:

Edited by Skyliner

I just saw a Mitchell for Mayor ad. YIKES! If he gets elected, this city is going to go to pot!

He cites the development at the Point and its new 31,000 vehicles per day on Woodruff Rd as a reason to vote Knox out of office. I hope that people see the real value of this development and don't get swayed by this terrible platform. It's an emotional issue for some, but I would think that most of those individuals live outside the city limits.

Anyway, like others have said: vote KNOX WHITE FOR MAYOR! get out there people! :thumbsup:

Anyone know how the votes lined up in the last mayorial election? IOW, did MItchell come close to White? Do we have anything to worry about here?

I just got info that Barack Obama is coming to Greenville this Friday

What: Upstate Rally with Barack Obama

Where: McAlister Square, Main Entrance, 225 Pleasantburg Drive, Greenville, SC

When: Friday, June 15 @ 12:30 PM

Tix are required you might can find some info on Barack's site

The information on where you can get tickets has been released. Here it is:

The event is free and open to the public. Tickets are required and are available at the following locations.

Greenville Democratic Party Office

1300 East Washington Street, Suite J

Greenville, SC

Mon-Fri: 9:00 am - 7:00 pm

McAlister Square

Suite Four

225 South Pleasantburg Drive

Greenville, SC

864-250-1111

Mon

I'm going to throw in my $0.02 here. He was passionate about Greenville, I stand corrected, he is passionate. That passion can carry over to posts, and arguments ensue. Likewise, I've wondered at times when I ranted on like maybe 10 posts, if that were grounds to get me banned. I just know that if something pisses me off, I need to walk away and cool off. The nature of the beast in ourselves is to fight, or flight, and flight I don't think was in g-man's vocabulary unless it dealt with GSP. I think that he just got carried away. Now, with that said, I'm sure that he might have pissed off a few people in other subforums, I mean, I saw his new sig welcome to the ATL, and I thought to myself "WTF?"

Anyways, I remember when I was 19, just five years ago, and I was a hothead if there ever was one. Hopefully he'll grow up in the next few years. He's had some great ideas, and truth be told, he could very well be the next leader of Greenville County. If he ran, I'd move back, into said district, and he'd have my vote. I'm sure that council sessions would be entertaining to say the least. Of course, would the UP Mod team be there to ban him from speaking at the meetings if he got carried away? I mean, would Spartan and Krazeeboi be sitting there with duct tape and a straitjacket?

/end rant

I'll start off by apologizing for my late reply here, as this whole thing went down while I was on vacation over the last 2 weeks. Please understand that Gman has been a challenging member for us as a moderating staff, myself and krazeeboi included, but particularly monsoon and Neo. What you see on your monitors is what we allow to be seen. Krazeeboi and I spent a lot of time filtering through his rantings, and trying to bring numerous discussions back on topic. We saw his actions as a distraction- many of you have alluded to the same thing. This is just what you guys get to see. What goes on behind the scenes is an entirely different story.

With respect to gman and to not cluttering up the forum with internal goings on I will not go into detail on what has happened. Suffice it to say that the decision to remove gman as a member was one that made the most sense. He has already been "unbanned" once, and he continued to be disruptive like he agreed to not do. On top of that he has cause a lot of trouble behind the scenes. He clearly is an emotional person for better or for worse. I do not question his passion for Greenville, or his desire to share and discuss information and ideas with all of us. However, this forum is a hobby for everyone, and it should not be a distraction and a nuisance to login and talk about things. Perhaps some of you didn't mind it. I know that for many people, it did.

I assure you that banning a member is not a decision we make lightly. Infact, in all of the SC forum's history (and even before that when it was "The Carolinas") we've banned maybe 2 or 3 members (that weren't spammers) including gman. In Gman's case he was given multiple opportunities to prove himself. Many more chances than would normally be given to a member with his history. UP has a reputation for strict moderators, as we are aware- but the reality is that the vast majority stand little chance of being banned. Think about it. How many times have any of you been suspended or even have a warning of any sort? Most all of you are generally respectful to one another and to the moderators, and thats all we ask. The occasional rant will never get you banned. Who doesn't have a bad day or accidentally piss someone off sometimes? I've been around a long time, and I think we have a pretty good group here, and y'all generally don't need me to step into any discussion to calm it down.

Anyway- I hope this clears some things up. Please feel free to contact me directly about this kind of issue or anything else for that matter.

Spartan

IMO banned accounts need absolutely no explanation, especially considering the extremely low number of actual banned accounts here on UP. As Spartan noted, UP is well known for having strict moderators but that view comes from most users not being able to have the privilege of what really goes on when A) you are not online to witness something that was posted or B) when we receive a PM or e-mail from a user. I can assure you that any banning of an account we question between the staff goes through scrutiny and decisions are not taken lightly as it is in almost all circumstances non-reversible.

In g-man's case we unbanned the account under the false assumption that he would be a model forumer which was a mistake on our part. When several rules are consistently broken we have no need to justify why we take action against the offending account. When anyone signs up for an account here they agree to our rules. This site is under no circumstance a daycare and we refuse to put up with nonsense from anyone, regardless as to how loyal they are to their city or passion of interest.

Having said that, it is *EXTREMELY* unlikely that any of you will encounter suspension or especially a ban here at UP as long as you follow our rules. We really are easy-going folks that care about issues surrounding our communities but we also have a quality to the site that we need to uphold and that means not putting up with bull when it comes our way.

What's up with Greenville's description on the South Carolina subforum? Most of the other forums have simple, elegant, romantic titles:

Charleston

The Coastal Empire

Columbia

The Riverbanks Region

Spartanburg

The Hub City

But we have this:

Greenville

Skyscrapers, Mass Transit, Highways, Downtown, the Metro

Yuck. Skyscrapers? Columbia has more. Mass Transit? Doesn't exist yet. Downtown? Yes, we do have one of those. The Metro? I have no idea what the Parisian subway system has to do with Greenville.

Why can't we have something more catchy and succinct...The Gateway to the Mountains...The Jewel of the Upstate...The Foothills Metropolis...something, anything better than what we have.

^ Good point. I think most everyone on this forum had agreed a year or two back that it should be "Greenville: The Heart of The Upstate" but for some reason that never happened. :dontknow: Anyone remember why? Everyone seemed to like that moniker.

I wish I had a good explanation for you. I remember that conversation, but I'm not sure why it was never changed. Is "the heart of the upstate" still something y'all want? Something different (I kinda like "foothills metropolis")? Just let me know, and I'll get it changed.

I wish I had a good explanation for you. I remember that conversation, but I'm not sure why it was never changed. Is "the heart of the upstate" still something y'all want? Something different (I kinda like "foothills metropolis")? Just let me know, and I'll get it changed.

I don't really care for "heart of the upstate," but I don't have any suggestions for something better. :)

I don't really care for "heart of the upstate," but I don't have any suggestions for something better. :)

You're majoring in Internal Medicine and you don't like "heart"? :lol:

I really don't have any great suggestions either. I think we all discussed that Greenville has never really had a nickname.

You're majoring in Internal Medicine and you don't like "heart"? :lol:

I really don't have any great suggestions either. I think we all discussed that Greenville has never really had a nickname.

:rofl:

I guess it's better than "armpit of the state," which I have heard many people use when referring to another metro in SC. :whistling:

Edited by Greenville

Just my perspective here- the word "cosmopolitan" in this instance is a matter of opinion, as people's definition of 'cosmopolitan' will tend to vary. While I don't necessarily disagree with the cosmopolitan nature of Gvill, I think its important to keep this label as neutral as possible. "Foothills Metropolis" is very neutral, for instance. "Piedmont Metropolis" is another idea.