Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

Thought this was interesting from the Charleston thread. For years I have thought this sort of center would be perfect for Gville. I know Chas has the port, but with the upstates international companies, Gville being the primary city, and the addition of the Global Center a couple years ago, you would think a WTC/Gville deal would be a match made in Heaven. Comments?

Thought this was interesting from the Charleston thread. For years I have thought this sort of center would be perfect for Gville. I know Chas has the port, but with the upstates international companies, Gville being the primary city, and the addition of the Global Center a couple years ago, you would think a WTC/Gville deal would be a match made in Heaven. Comments?

I wonder how this would compare to the Global Trade Park in Greenville?

Thats good to know. I haven't used Firefox in a while since I use Safari.

If you have OSX 10.4 you call spell check within Safari. It uses the OSX built in dictionary. You can either manually do it after you finish or as you type but you have to check it from the Safari menu edit menu or by right/ctl clicking within a browser text box.

Ok, just some speculating here for FUN, but what do you guys think? Today we've been hit with major development news. Our second downtown or uptown/midtown, whatever you want to call it, has a great chance of becoming a reality. Verdae construction is underway. CU-ICAR just hired the engineer for the second neighborhood-- who knows what announcements could be lingering around the corner for this. Magnolia Park seems to be going more upscale. The Point is going to be adding a truely dense mixed use development. The boom belt is really booming. So, it makes me wonder: Is now the time when Greenville charges forward and surpasses the rest of the state? Is this Greenville's big break? Nothing of this scale has been announced in any other SC metro in this sort of cluster, probably ever.

Interesting question. I have wondered about this too lately. I think Greenville will need a few things to happen before it has a chance to "surpass the rest of the state." It will certainly need to have more of a tourism name. Hopefully, this new tourism package will meet that demand. It trails the rest of the state miserably in terms or tourism, at least from the standpoint of popularity and national attention. I was looking at an updated "Moon Books" Travel Guide for SC in B&N the other day. The upstate is still only a few pages in the back of the book. It still spoke of Gville being a textile town, and provides little reason for a reader to visit. It even talks about GSP being difficult to get to, and suggests flying into Columbia and driving up (if you can believe that). Believe it or not, this book was written by a SC native (though one from Charleston). I think this illustrates how little awareness, and how much misconception still exists about the upstate and Greenville, even within our own state. (Perhaps we need to get an upstater to write a travel book on SC :rolleyes:) Basically, Greenville needs to be put on the map (again, perhaps the tourism campaign will help), the city needs to be able to annex at least enough land and population to put it more in line with the other big two, mass transit is crucial, 85 and 385 need to be improved, Greenville will need to take advantage of assests it has that the rest of the state doesn't (as Charleston and MB have done with the ocean), the airport needs to grow ahead of in-state competition (we already have the numbers for it), and DT will need to continue to expand and diversify. I think Greenville definately has the potential to surpass the other areas; all the ingredients are there, but the potential needs to be built upon first.

there will be Greenville band on this years' Ozzfest tour....Greenville based (egyptian themed) death metal band Nile will be on the second stage at Ozzfest, Nile is one the top names in the genre for those who don't know. It good to see these guys getting a big break, and it will be fun to see them lay to waste all the "mall metal" kids.

for anybody that wants to check them out:

official site

Myspace with Songs

Nile will also be releasing their 5th record this summer via Nuclear Blast Records. \m/

Believe it or not, this book was written by a SC native (though one from Charleston). I think this illustrates how little awareness, and how much misconception still exists about the upstate and Greenville, even within our own state. (Perhaps we need to get an upstater to write a travel book on SC :rolleyes:)

How true this is. I met someone the other day who is from the PeeDee. She said upon hearing that I was from Greenville: "I didn't know Greenville was so big." She carried on about Columbia and Charleston as if they were the only areas of any size in the state and light years ahead. Apparently some people live under rocks :dontknow: .

You bring up some good points that would be key in passing the instate competition. Tourism is a key thing, and I definitely think we're on the right track. With tourism and mainly just population, we should see GSP pick up in traffic. Among our assets that we must capitalize on is Clemson University. President Barker is trying to strengthen ties with Greenville, and I think it can play a key role in excelling into the future.

A South African band will soon be recording their first studio album in Greenville. The band is "Civil Twilight." Check out what the band's manager, Michael Carney said about Greenville:

"I was living in Los Angeles and working in Atlanta," Carney says. "I had a friend in Greenville so I rented a car and came down here and literally fell in love with it. The downtown, the restaurants..."
:shades:

Since I don't have the time to look for the discussion, and wouldn't even know where to begin looking, I'll post this here. This is a photo I shot sometime last year, which is an excellent visual reference for the location of the new 9-story residential building recently proposed. It is planned to be built on that small lot just beyond the row of lamposts, just to the foreground of the Bellacino's building in the middle of the shot. As you can see, adding a 9-story structure in such a location will greatly enhance the growing density of this part of downtown. Just to the right of the old cigar factory in the foreground (Devereaux's), The Peacock Hotel & Spa is under construction. I am eagar to see the renderings. :shades:

OldDowntownGville_01.jpg

Since I don't have the time to look for the discussion, and wouldn't even know where to begin looking, I'll post this here. This is a photo I shot sometime last year, which is an excellent visual reference for the location of the new 9-story residential building recently proposed. It is planned to be built on that small lot just beyond the row of lamposts, just to the foreground of the Bellacino's building in the middle of the shot. As you can see, adding a 9-story structure in such a location will greatly enhance the growing density of this part of downtown. Just to the right of the old cigar factory in the foreground (Devereaux's), The Peacock Hotel & Spa is under construction. I am eagar to see the renderings. :shades:

That is a good reference and a nice photo. I'm anxious to get more details on this development as well.

Speaking of rumored development information. I'd also be interested in more info on the old Shealy site...

OldDowntownGville_01.jpg

This is a great photo, Skyliner, but it's also a perfect example of why I disagree with your statement that a nine-story building will greatly "enhance" the density of this part of downtown. I LOVE the perspective you get in this photo -- the perspective of being able to see several layers/depths and heights of buildings. THAT is what makes a downtown visually interesting and emotionally engaging, I think. If you get so dense that you basically have 1 giant mass of buildings, I think you lose something. This project is either going to happen or it's not, regardless of what any of us thinks about density or perspective. But it's not going to change my mind that density for density's sake is far from a positive thing.

Oh come now, we're not that dense. :lol: I do totally understand your reasoning though. I don't think we're in danger of becoming "too dense" anytime soon, so additions such as this would be welcome. Consider what it means for downtown - more residents in the heart of the city, helping to support the shops and restaurants in the vicinity. Next door, in the old Liberty Building, Clemson is about to begin a new downtown venture to increase entrepreneurship throughout the city. Perhaps a few of these advanced students may decide to live in the new building? :thumbsup:

Oh come now, we're not that dense. :lol: I do totally understand your reasoning though. I don't think we're in danger of becoming "too dense" anytime soon, so additions such as this would be welcome. Consider what it means for downtown - more residents in the heart of the city, helping to support the shops and restaurants in the vicinity. Next door, in the old Liberty Building, Clemson is about to begin a new downtown venture to increase entrepreneurship throughout the city. Perhaps a few of these advanced students may decide to live in the new building? :thumbsup:

I agree with both statements. We are certainly not too dense, and additions are welcome. But I also agree with DTcitygirl, that "layers" within the skyline really make a difference. In this case, a 9 story building will probably be a little shorter than most in the area. Combine that with the taller than the rest Peacock, and we have 3 "layers" right there together. The planned 7 story hotel (though slightly dissapointing) will help with this too. These three layers will help to give that part of DT a much needed depth and tier feel. It will contrast to the current look in this part of DT that Paul Bunyon came along with a chainsaw and cut all of the buidings off flat at the exact same height. :lol:

Actually, I think adding a variety of designs to the rooftops would do as much to improve the appearance as anything. The Poinsett Plaza Office Building and the Peacock Hotel & Spa together in this vicinity will create some of that needed variety. I don't care so much about the concern for over-densifying our downtown since this is not going to happen anytime soon. We have yet to hear of any major highrises to be added to the CBD.

Where is everyone? I notice several guests browsing the forum regularly, but very few new posts lately. There is plenty happening around the metro to be sharing. Let's discuss it. :thumbsup:

I have noticed that as well. It seems we are in a holding pattern again for many of the projects, without much new stuff coming out on them right now, perhaps that is part of it.

Here is an off topic question I have been saving for a rainy day; What is up with the Greenville phone books? I remember back in 97 and 98, the Bellsouth book was about a third larger than it is today, and I thought it might not be too long before we went to a two book system; you know, with the yellow pages in one book and the white in another. Instead, 9 years later, it has progressively shrunk. :dontknow: We can't even begin to count all the new businesses or influx of new residents since then, so what is the reason? I know at that time, areas like Clemson, BHP, and even Newberry and Clinton were in the pone book (but no Anderson or Sptbg numbers). (Funny about Newberry though, since it is now considered part of the Cola Metro). But losing these areas would not have made the book shrink that much, especially with all the new developments and residents since that time. And I think the yellow pages are several hundred pages less now than then. Any thoughts?

I have noticed that as well. It seems we are in a holding pattern again for many of the projects, without much new stuff coming out on them right now, perhaps that is part of it.

Here is an off topic question I have been saving for a rainy day; What is up with the Greenville phone books? I remember back in 97 and 98, the Bellsouth book was about a third larger than it is today, and I thought it might not be too long before we went to a two book system; you know, with the yellow pages in one book and the white in another. Instead, 9 years later, it has progressively shrunk. :dontknow: We can't even begin to count all the new businesses or influx of new residents since then, so what is the reason? I know at that time, areas like Clemson, BHP, and even Newberry and Clinton were in the pone book (but no Anderson or Sptbg numbers). (Funny about Newberry though, since it is now considered part of the Cola Metro). But losing these areas would not have made the book shrink that much, especially with all the new developments and residents since that time. And I think the yellow pages are several hundred pages less now than then. Any thoughts?

Thinner paper?

I think the phone book madness has gone two far with all the competing yellow page companies and competing phone books out there.

I remember when I was working at an office a few years ago and this dude dropped off about 24 of that alternative phone book and the secretary told him to take them back because they wanted the "real" phone book. I don't mind getting extra ones however because I have more I can toss in the recycle bin and feel good about myself! :whistling:

:rofl:

Seriously however I can't even remember the last time I actually used a phone book for anything.