Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

Just when we think we've reached a high point, we get another addition to our economy/tourism.

Gold Wing fans have picked Greenville for their 2008 convention over the 4th of July.

Get this: 14,000 people are expected to invade our streets for this event.

Gold Wings in Greenville

"People will be coming in and out during the convention," she said. The Greenville area has about 8,000 rooms so the convention is expected to more than fill them during the four-day event.

Wing Ding is anticipated to generate about $11 million in direct economic impact to Greenville and the Upstate, she said.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Haven't seen ManinthePark, NYT, or Whitehourseview around lately. Hope you guys are doing well. :)

I know Whitehourseview told me in an e-mail that he is having computer problems...not sure what's up with MitP or NYT, though.

Gville needs one of these (but for "Greenville")

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/768768

Now that's a wayfinder! It would be very nice to see something like this downtown here, I have to agree. I love it! :lol:

Gville needs one of these (but for "Greenville")

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/768768

That thing would have 100 signs for other Greenvilles on it, LOL.

That's in "the Green" in uptown Charlotte, between Tryon and College streets. They also have other ones with signs for towns in relation to authors. For instance, there will be one for "Charles, North Dakota" and "Dickens, Oregon" right under each other. I love the concept.

That could be cool, too, but we've currently only got two sister cities. We're going to have to add to the list. :thumbsup:

Yes, but Greenville should incorporate its own twist to that idea and create some form of attraction that shows every city around the world with a corporate presence in Greenville. That would be truly impressive. :shades:

Yes, but Greenville should incorporate its own twist to that idea and create some form of attraction that shows every city around the world with a corporate presence in Greenville. That would be truly impressive. :shades:

Bingo!!!!! Love that!!!!! :good::good::good:

I've been thinking about this while working this afternoon. I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY love this idea! This is one of the freshest ideas, IMO, in quite some time. Seems easy to do. I would think the companies (BMW, Michelin, Agfa, etc, etc) would jump on board and even contribute. This idea brings forefront and merges some of Greenville's strongest assets (international business, tourism, a downtown full of fun and surprise).

Skyliner, you should submit this idea to the city!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Skyliner, you should submit this idea to the city!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cool! I'll see what I can do. Thanks to each of you for the support! :D

If anyone has an idea or two for how to make this attraction somewhere in downtown (whether stand-alone or as part of a larger development) please share it with us.

The state repealed the law requiring bars and restaurants to use minibottles a little over a year ago. Some businesses have not made the switch to larger bottles yet (some because they fear change, some because their shelves were built for the minibottle and they haven't gotten new cabinets yet, some because of existing inventory)

Each municipality in SC has the option to vote on Sunday alcohol sales. The City of Greenville allows alcohol sales in bars, restaurants and grocery stores if that business has received a license for it. Greenville County (outside the city limits) does not allow any alcohol sales on Sunday.

Note: not all grocery stores inside the city limits have opted to pay for the Sunday alcohol license yet, you may have to shop around in your area.

Note 2: All liquor stores close at 7:00 pm M-S and are closed on Sunday.

Welcome to SC!

Certain Counties can vote on Sunday alcohol as well. Charleston and Richland (columbia) have approved sunday sales in restaurants, but Greenville County defeated it.

Certain Counties can vote on Sunday alcohol as well. Charleston and Richland (columbia) have approved sunday sales in restaurants, but Greenville County defeated it.

How recent is that decision? I can't believe Greenville County, in this day and age, would vote against Sunday alcohol sales in restaurants!

Im not sure really why or what it is but these Ron Paul Revolution signs annoy the crap out of me.

I think it is an interesting ad campaign. Sure, they look homemade and cheap, but they have caught my attention. I saw the Revolution one today for the first time, but I have also seen "Google Ron Paul" and "Who is Ron Paul?" signs. Pretty creative if you ask me. He has polled well thus far, and currently has more funding than John McCain. I like him because he's a little more Libertarian in his leanings, but hopefully the fact that he runs on the Republican ticket won't keep him from embracing the socially liberal aspect of Libertarianism as well (rather than just the fiscally conservative part). If you want the Constitution defended and upheld - and not manipulated to make a law or ruling seem justifiable - Ron Paul is your guy. He might be mine, but I want to see what the other candidates have to say (especially Obama and Guiliani)

Edited by Greenville