Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

Greenwood is known as "The Emerald City," and since it is so closeby that would likely create a problem.

Crap. I didn't know that. Thanks, Skyliner!

OK, then...I'm going to stick by "Cosmopolitan Foothills Metropolis." Whether y'all feel it's pretentious or not, it's accurate, I think.

Edited by RestedTraveler

• 2 weeks later...

What ever happened to the Gondola rides on the Reedy? RT's most recent picture made me realize that I hadn't heard anything about them in a LONG while. With all that's going on in the West End and especially on the river, it seems that they'd do a killing business these days. When the city ever does their possible re-routing the river, it'd be great if the city could widen the river and make it deeper in many places to accomidate these boats up further in the river. So, what did happen to it?

What ever happened to the Gondola rides on the Reedy? RT's most recent picture made me realize that I hadn't heard anything about them in a LONG while. With all that's going on in the West End and especially on the river, it seems that they'd do a killing business these days. When the city ever does their possible re-routing the river, it'd be great if the city could widen the river and make it deeper in many places to accomidate these boats up further in the river. So, what did happen to it?

i never really understood the Gondola rides...first off, the guy only had from the river street bridge to the pedestrian bridge behind the peace center to run, that's not very much room and not that scenic. Secondly, it wasn't even a gondola it was a crappy jon boat with to pieces of painted wood on the ends, what is that a "jondola"?. that just doesn't seem too romantic to ride around in. Now if he had an actual gondola than the space thing could be forgiven, but come on a jon boat...what is this the white trash venice, is he gonna sing Marshal Tucker Band songs to you as you ride around?

I'm with CS there...

The idea of Gondola Rides is a nice romantic one, provided you've actually got somewhere to go and have a proper Gondola (as CS cited).

I think that continued development of the Reedy River corridor north past Academy would have really been a necessary factor in order for the Gondola to make more sense. With the Camperdown going kaput and with any other development of the area being a ways off, it just doesn't make sense right now...if ever.

don't quite know where to put this one.....

Does anybody know anything about a development at Georgia Road and I-385 call Georgia Commons, all i got off the sign as i passed was that it would include Restaurant, Retail and a Hotel. Since we're going to be moving to the area i kind of wanna know what all this is going to include...

I'm with CS there...

The idea of Gondola Rides is a nice romantic one, provided you've actually got somewhere to go and have a proper Gondola (as CS cited).

I think that continued development of the Reedy River corridor north past Academy would have really been a necessary factor in order for the Gondola to make more sense. With the Camperdown going kaput and with any other development of the area being a ways off, it just doesn't make sense right now...if ever.

It seems to me to have something like that you would;

1.) have to get rid of the water fall

2.) design a system of locks

3.) make it circular can come back up to the point of origin so people would not have arrange parking or the service wouldn't have to provide a shuttle from say downtown to Cleveland Park

I know that sounds silly but I would not want to bother with a ride unless it went for a little bit of distance.

I am concerned however that we will hear about some kid cracking his or her head wide open by playing on the falls. Everytime I visit Falls Park with visitors they are amazed people and especially children are allowed to play on those rocks.

I am concerned however that we will hear about some kid cracking his or her head wide open by playing on the falls. Everytime I visit Falls Park with visitors they are amazed people and especially children are allowed to play on those rocks.

that should be a parents concern not one of the city, they put up signs that's all they can do. The first person to try to sue the city because their kid got hurt will be publicly called an idiot by me.

Nice find! I like the vantage point. Looks like the view you could have from the top of the Camperdown. Oh wait...

Yea... :cry: That's one building that I really hoped would make it given its proximity to Falls Park, RiverPlace, the West End, and Downtown...and the Swamp Rabbit Trail. The views from that building would have been spectacular.