Greenville Off-Topic

Spartan

A nice article from USA Today about Indian-Americans and their success in the hospitality industry.

Greenville based JHM Hotels is one of four called out in the article as successful. :thumbsup:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2007-0...tels-usat_N.htm

Now that I think about it, it does appear that Indian Americans are cornering that particular market. I know that several hotels planned/under construction in the Columbia area are being proposed by Indian Americans--at least I would assume so, based on the names given (most have the last name of "Patel").

Interesting trend.

Awesome! I'm sure you represented Clemson well. How is NOLA looking post-Katrina?

NOLA is still pretty devestated from what we saw. It was really unbelievable to see places like McDonalds, Circuit City, Toys R Us, and Walmart STILL closed and boarded up as if Katrina hit yesterday. Though Home Depot was doing very well. It was definitely something that has to be experienced to be understood really, but it was a great opportunity and we could not have helped a nicer family. :thumbsup:

I was just reading through several post and having a good laugh at what a tough crowd we are here at UP.

If you're a developer that wears a bowtie, watch out.

If your development has been stated to have 2 foot wide doorways, and you change them to 2.1, watch out, we'll call you out.

Media....you guys should really be on alert....incorrect spelling, incorrect dollar amounts for a project, wrong number of floors.....we'll call you out.

Site plan is wrong.....that's a big no-no.

And don't even think of telling anyone here that a project is delayed or canceled.

:lol::lol::lol:

I write all this in humor, because I've noticed how this forum has "moods". The last few days, the mood of this forum has been whipped into a frenzied state over "Project Skyline". When you go back and read some of the post slowly and let them sink in, there's quite a bit of humor (much of it unintentional).

That's all.......just a lighthearted observation.

This article is a pretty good read about the city of Greenville's trip to learn from Ireland. So great to see Greenville visiting Ireland as this country is on the "hot list" along with India and Dubai/United Arab Emirates. A country that in the not too distant past, was riddled with internal terrorism, civil unrest.....and now the place is booming. I'd say Ireland has the "can do" spirit. Only positives can come out of this trip for Greenville. :thumbsup:

http://www.wyff4.com/news/13258452/detail.html

I rode out Pete Hollis Blvd the other day on my way to Marietta to buy strawberries and I noticed a very nice "welcome to Greenville" sign on a rock wall. Similar to the one at Cherrydale, but with a normal sign embedded that looks like the typical city limit signs-- though it was in grey tones and dark green, I think. It was nice and I got to thinking of how nice of a job Greenville does with signage. One of these days I want to document all of the efforts, but that will require time... :whistling: one day.

I rode out Pete Hollis Blvd the other day on my way to Marietta to buy strawberries and I noticed a very nice "welcome to Greenville" sign on a rock wall. Similar to the one at Cherrydale, but with a normal sign embedded that looks like the typical city limit signs-- though it was in grey tones and dark green, I think. It was nice and I got to thinking of how nice of a job Greenville does with signage. One of these days I want to document all of the efforts, but that will require time... :whistling: one day.

That sign has been up for a long time now. It is not bad, but I much prefer the one at Cherrydale.

Do any of you guys use Windows Live Messenger? If you do, Microsoft has launched a new initiative

called "i'm Making A Difference, so that every time you use Messenger, Microsoft will share part of

the advertising money with one of the organizations involved, [you pick the one you want to support.] So if you already use Messenger 8.1, this is a great way to get involved and help

Microsoft give something back.

I don't know how long this has been up, but I just noticed it. Sorry if this has been mentioned. Fluor has their name on their building now. The large white letters stand out quite well on the black building and are VERY visible from Haywood. Good exposure and a nice name to have looming in the distance.