Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

Good guess, and it would make sense now that redoing of the BOFA building has actually started. Wasn't this area the site of a building that GvilleSC hinted at a couple months ago, where he saw a rendering for a 20+ story building (although it didn't get chosen)?

Could it be an announcement on Bob Ellis' other "state's tallest"?

I can't say how I know this, but the TBA I teased about was the announcement was for the County building redevelopment. However, I didn't know they were swapping with old Greenville Mall

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good guess, and it would make sense now that redoing of the BOFA building has actually started. Wasn't this area the site of a building that GvilleSC hinted at a couple months ago, where he saw a rendering for a 20+ story building (although it didn't get chosen)?

Could it be an announcement on Bob Ellis' other "state's tallest"?

No, that did not work out.

I can't say how I know this, but the TBA I teased about was the announcement was for the County building redevelopment. However, I didn't know they were swapping with old Greenville Mall

I found out about the swap probubly 2 months ago and it was very hard to not tell you guys about it, I really wanted to.

I was intrigued by a comment in last weeks artcile regarding the proposal of the 10 story residential highrise in the West End. The comment said something to the effect that, if it gets built, it could result in a wave of highrise development all around the area ( I love that idea!). But if not, the development would more likely be of the 2-3 story variety found elsewhere in the West End. I really think the DPC or whatever needs to let go of the power trip, and let some projects happen. This project is actually zoned in the CBD, NOT in the West end. And as has been pointed out, it wouldn't be much taller than Riverplace. In fact, it would probably be shorter that Phase 3 (assuming it gets built). And if this wave of development occurs, it certainly would not stick out in the coming years since it would be surrounded by others. I am all for protecting historically valueable buildings and sites, but stop getting in the way of progress and projects good for the city. I really hope this project happens, but the article does not paint a promising picture. :(

Don't have time to post all the TBA's but the biggest ones were these:

Cleveland St. YMCA will make announcement next week. Apparently either a major addition or a new facility will replace the current one.

Furman is looking to offer some Urban Planning courses DT.

Texas, Florida and California developers are looking at he Pete Hollis corridor.

Article on County Square proposal. New access roads would be cut if the county goes to Magnolia Park.

The 10 story tower proposed for West End will wait until November's DPC meeting. Renderings being done now to show the building in relation to it's surroundings. (height, etc.)

Even though this is the Greenville Journal thread, I have decided to post this very interesting story here, seeing how it is from a newspaper like the Greenville Journal.

CREDIT TO GSA BUSINESS:

While developer Mark Kent continues to move ahead with plans for a luxury hotel in downtown Greenville, the fate of an adjacent property remains up in the air. Kent and business partner Grant Peacock plan to build the Peacock Hotel and Spa on the corner of Spring Street and McBee Avenue. The former Kimbrell's Furniture building at 113 S. Main St. abuts the hotel property.

Kent, president of Keystone Properties LLC, purchased the Kimbrell's building in 2002. Shortly thereafter, Kimbrell's decided to relocate its business to a shopping center near Pleasantburg Drive. Several ideas have been proposed for the Main Street site, but none have come to fruition. Kent says he doesn't currently have any plans for the site. "Everything is under wraps," Kent says. "We want to finish the hotel and then look at potential projects."

The city Design and Preservation Commission rejected plans in 2004 to demolish the Kimbrell's building and build a multi-screen movie theater in its place. Commission members denied a second request filed a year later that would have demolished the building to make way for a public park with a mixed-use building behind it.

Last year, developers won preliminary city approval to demolish the building and replace it with a similar-looking building as part of a plaza and townhome project. Kent says he planned to include the Kimbrell's site in the Peacock Hotel and Spa development. "We originally wanted the condos to go there, but we became aware it would be easier to put the condos vertically on top of the hotel," Kent says. "When we started looking at the cost per square foot, it would have cost almost double to put the condos there."

The 11-story Peacock Hotel and Spa will consist of 116 rooms, an upscale restaurant and full-service spa. The property will also contain meeting rooms, a boardroom and a ballroom with capacity for 150 people. Kent hopes to break ground by the end of the year and wrap up construction in 18 months. "Presently we're doing fundraising efforts," Kent says. "We're hoping to get some local investors and out-of-state investors."

Kent have been active in redeveloping downtown Greenville for several years. He purchased and restored the nearby American Cigar Factory and Chamber of Commerce buildings. It is unclear what will take place at the Kimbrell's location. Any future use of the property would likely result in preserving the 88-year-old building's facade, which has been a particular point of debate with the Design and Preservation Committee.

Greenville Mayor Knox White says the city believes the building would be an ideal mixed-use development. "It's a great site because it's on Main Street," White says. "If you look at Main Street, there's not a lot of frontage available." Robin Prince, a member of the Design and Preservation Commission and a local architect, says he is hopeful the Kimbrell's site will be an important part of downtown's redevelopment. "I would like to see something that energizes Main Street and adds a lot of vitality to it," Prince says.

That should probably go in a new thread relating to GSABusiness news.

Since it is located here, I will reply here. Those bozos in the DPC dictating Greenville's future are driving me absolutely crazy!!! What the heck is wrong with replacing the plain, rather ugly Kimbrells building with a flashy new mixed-use development with plenty of space for both street-level retail, and overhead residential space - similar to Wachovia Place? If any new development is hinged on keeping that building, how long will it just sit there and bring down the charm of our beautiful Main Street?

No matter how you look at it, vacant buildings or storefronts are a serious detriment to the high quality of life we hope to convey to newcomers/visitors. Whether they (the DPC) realize this or not, people are pouring into the city left and right from other parts of the nation, and it appears that a large quantity are out exploring the downtown area as a tourist. I for one am quite embarrassed that they have to see so many buildings and properties on Main Street that need to be redeveloped into street-level retail, or restaurant space to solidify the urban strength, vitality, and charm of the beautiful core of our city.

No matter how you look at it, vacant buildings or storefronts are a serious detriment to the high quality of life we hope to convey to newcomers/visitors. Whether they (the DPC) realize this or not, people are pouring into the city left and right from other parts of the nation, and it appears that a large quantity are out exploring the downtown area as a tourist. I for one am quite embarrassed that they have to see so many buildings and properties on Main Street that need to be redeveloped into street-level retail, or restaurant space to solidify the urban strength, vitality, and charm of the beautiful core of our city.

Agreed! There are indeed many parcels and storefronts that could use development. And not just main St. There are dozens of lot around te city, and some big ones on Washington and Mcbee sts tht could be home to some very good projects. Lets get it in gear! :D

For 2006-10-6:

A new Greenville tourism strategy will be announced next month. One of the early tidbits is more money to make Table Rock and Caesar's Head more accessible to the public and get them tied into downtown tourism.

A developer is looking at a major redevelopment project in the "triangle" section of the Pete Hollis Highway corridor.

One of the Midwest's most popular sandwich chains is coming to downtown Greenville. Jimmy Johns will be in teh Bookends development at the corner of McBee Avenue and Spring Street. This could be a key spot when it comes to getting people to walk off of Main Street.

Chamber leaders are working on a plan that would aim to keep business here. Chambe already started NEXT, which is charged with helping entrepreneurs. This plan could be similar.

In case you missed the U.S. Pro Cycling Championship when it came to Greenville last month, the city is working on showing the OLN highlights on its Charter cable channel in the coming weeks.

Spring Street will be torn up sometime in the next 30 to 60 days. This storm water work will cause some delays, but could spur future development.

October 12 is the go date for the official opening of the 1.5-mile trail that straddles the Reedy River from downtown to the county line. The rubberized trail is slated for walkers and cyclists. It is part of a much larger plan to have trails along the entire river corridor.

Look for a Main Street office building to open an art gallery in its lobby.

Thanks so much, BoDragon! :thumbsup:

I am curious to know more about the redevelopment in the "triangle" section of the Pete Hollis Highway corridor. Does anyone know the size of the land we're talking about there?

I am not familiar with Jimmy Johns, but it sounds like they are expecting to do well. Hopefully they will be the cause of increased traffic in their vicinity, rather than the victim of a lack of traffic there!

The art gallery in a main street office building sounds interesting.

I am curious to know more about the redevelopment in the "triangle" section of the Pete Hollis Highway corridor. Does anyone know the size of the land we're talking about there?

Would this be the area boarded by West Stone Avenue to Rutherford Street? Aside from the new Spinx station, I do not see land big enough to pursue things like a supermarket, etc.

Would this be the area boarded by West Stone Avenue to Rutherford Street? Aside from the new Spinx station, I do not see land big enough to pursue things like a supermarket, etc.

I would assume the Triangle is the one formed by Pete Hollis, Rutherford and the City Limits.

There is a building for sale at the Rutherford/Pete Hollis intersection. I dont remember the price, but it seemed pretty reasonable when I looked it up. I look forward to this area changing.

There is a banner on a Rutherford Rd. parcel that says "Discount Builder" coming soon. I think that was the name. It is near the McDonalds and Hardees.

TBAs for 10/12/06

**Runners and cyclists using the new DT Reedy River trail may have noticed a rather large, dilapidated structure along the path near Hudson St. The building will soon be gone, and the property will become part of the Kroc Center. However, there is not a schedule to get cracking on the Cleveland West plans along the river trail.

** Things look "optimistic" for the proposed county government/Greenville Mall land swap. City and County officials believe an agreement could be finalized by the end of the year if all the infrastructure costs can be worked out.

** It is likely a few months away, but work is being done on a new set of plans showing a massive overhaul of the corner of Main and Washington. This is the famed Woolworth's property, which has been vacant for years, but the new plans would include much of the entire block. The city will ink a deal with the potential developers next week that gives them two years to get the project going...

** City council will agree to sell its land around City Hall on Monday. Developer Windsor/Aughtry will agree to a design charette with the city as part of their deal. There has been a lot of speculation and talk about what the hotel developement will look like.

TBAs for 10/12/06

**Runners and cyclists using the new DT Reedy River trail may have noticed a rather large, dilapidated structure along the path near Hudson St. The building will soon be gone, and the property will become part of the Kroc Center. However, there is not a schedule to get cracking on the Cleveland West plans along the river trail.

** Things look "optimistic" for the proposed county government/Greenville Mall land swap. City and County officials believe an agreement could be finalized by the end of the year if all the infrastructure costs can be worked out.

** It is likely a few months away, but work is being done on a new set of plans showing a massive overhaul of the corner of Main and Washington. This is the famed Woolworth's property, which has been vacant for years, but the new plans would include much of the entire block. The city will ink a deal with the potential developers next week that gives them two years to get the project going...

** City council will agree to sell its land around City Hall on Monday. Developer Windsor/Aughtry will agree to a design charette with the city as part of their deal. There has been a lot of speculation and talk about what the hotel developement will look like.

What lame TBAs, I swear next week's is better.

Also, no comment on the city smoking story? Basically, the city wants people views on whether to create a citywide smokeout in buildings, public places, etc.

-- We also had a story on school construction and its costs inside.

-- Full look on the tourism plan. ie what the details. The big thing is the proposed redo of Heritage Green that would sink College Street and have overhead walkways to the library, and theater.

-- Biz cover was on the process of how beer gets to the marketplace. (for transplants, the big news is Greenville now has Yeungling

-- And my personal fave on the behind scenes of Fall for Greenville.

Finally, guys check out our new web site www.journalHOMES.com

No, it's not the editroial, but is a really cool guide to real estate. It has some cool features such as looking at the surrounding neighborhood when looking at a house.

Archived