Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

That's the site. But the proposal I saw was not chosen (i dont think). So, don't expect the 20 story tower I saw. But that's not to say that someone else's proposal didn't include a tower of that size or taller... I hope we hear something soon as to what they are planning...

Is your comment about a tower elsewhere a hint or just an uneducated hope?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wondered the same thing, but I think it may be an uneducated hope. It sounds like the 20 story tower was the only proposal he saw, and it did not get chosen. But I am curiuos as to why it was not chosen. A project of that magnitude would have certainly been popular. I wonder if they did not choose it because a better one was also offered. Bigger is not always better of course, but it would have to have been pretty darn good to beat out a proposal of that magnitude. But it sounds like whoever is buying the property is doing so purposefully, so we have to watch it. I persoanlly think this is a great peice of property, and one that needs to be developed in a first class manner, and preferably sooner.

I wondered the same thing, but I think it may be an uneducated hope. It sounds like the 20 story tower was the only proposal he saw, and it did not get chosen. But I am curiuos as to why it was not chosen. A project of that magnitude would have certainly been popular. I wonder if they did not choose it because a better one was also offered. Bigger is not always better of course, but it would have to have been pretty darn good to beat out a proposal of that magnitude. But it sounds like whoever is buying the property is doing so purposefully, so we have to watch it. I persoanlly think this is a great peice of property, and one that needs to be developed in a first class manner, and preferably sooner.

you hit the nail on the head. I wish I knew why... I'm sure whatever is winning out is bigger and better. Or more feasible atleast. It's one of the last missing puzzle pieces from the concentrated area of downtown's initial rebirth. With more of the property being bought, I'd hope to hear something this fall, maybe? We can hope anyway. :thumbsup:

TBA:

* Condos are going up on a former parking lot in the West End next to Brick Street Cafe. Ron Vergnolle, who was behind the Vineyards at North Main, is one of the developers.

* The so-called Army-Navy Store Annex could go back to the Design and Preservation Commisson in Sept. The Committee shot down plnas to redevelop the site previously.

* The property along North Main that belonged to the late gaming magnate Fred Collins is getting a lot of attention from developers. One rumor is that supermarket chains are looking, but that is still very preliminary.

* Max Heller Greenway will be dedicated this weekend.

* Artists are moving into the spaces underneath RiverPlace. They will rent space inside the parking garage and will work in public.

* The RiverPlace water feature will be ready at the end of the month.

* Baseball could come back to the Municipal Satdium on Mauldin Rd. An amateur team is trying to sign a deal to play there in Sept. and Oct. No word on long-term plans for the stadium.

City council:

A new giraffe exhibit will open at teh Zoo in Summer 2007. Council is leasing a nearby parking lot for overflow parking at the Palmetto Expo Center.

Articles:

Hollywood Gallery collectibles store that just opened on Main St.

Idle Factories get cleaned up with Brownfields grants.

Cover Story on efforts to clean up Reedy River

Upgrades to Clemson's Football Stadium

Other:

Southern Exposure event will showcase Wine, Food and Music. Sponsored by Cliffs Communitites Sept 22-24

People National Bank will build it's main branch for Gville on the site of the old Vince Perrone's / City Club location on Antrim drive.

Riverplace Bells housing structure decision could come on Friday.

Thanks for posting this vicupstate!

I'm extremely excited to hear that the Green Monster or "army navy store annex" will go before the board again! I hope that some minds will be changed and development can go forward!

Also, I'm glad to see Vince Perone's former plot of land being developed! This will be great for the Pleasantburg Dr/Laurens Rd "interchange" area.

So why is Council leasing nearby parking at Palmetto Expo? I would not consider that nearby the zoo...? Is this suppose to go together or are these seperate items?

* Baseball could come back to the Municipal Satdium on Mauldin Rd. An amateur team is trying to sign a deal to play there in Sept. and Oct. No word on long-term plans for the stadium.

It was my understanding, looking at diagrams for the Conestee Lake park project, that the Greenville Municipal Stadium site will be turned into an athletic park, and that the baseball field would be kept and soccer/football/ tennis/basketball/softball , etc. facilities would be added in what are now parking lots.

Again, that is just my understanding from just looking at the diagram.

Greenville could defintely use a site for American Legion or Dixie Youth League type ball, and that ball field would fit that.

* The property along North Main that belonged to the late gaming magnate Fred Collins is getting a lot of attention from developers. One rumor is that supermarket chains are looking, but that is still very preliminary.

Would this be on the 600 block between Park and Stone avenues?

Bi-Lo is looking to expand its North Main Street store into the old Rite Aid adding a pharmacy department. Like some Publix locations, Bi-Lo thinks they can offer full service products and services in a smaller location to serve immediate neighborhoods. This is a good move to improve an existing store in a downtown location.

^^ Separate items. Sorry for the confusion.

There ia a ratty looking vacant motel adjoining the Vince Perrone site. I wish someone wuld do something with it.

That place is rather shabby looking. A couple of years ago when Perone's closed, there was a plan to include the 2 vacant buildings beside the bank that front on Pleasantburg. However, after Perone's closed and sold out, the deal fell through. Not sure why. The plan included an Eckerds or CVS with some other stores as well.

If someone were to raze that whole block and start over, it wouldn't hurt my feelings. :)

Would this be on the 600 block between Park and Stone avenues?

Bi-Lo is looking to expand its North Main Street store into the old Rite Aid adding a pharmacy department. Like some Publix locations, Bi-Lo thinks they can offer full service products and services in a smaller location to serve immediate neighborhoods. This is a good move to improve an existing store in a downtown location.

Very interesting. How definite is this? If done right, it would be a great upgrade to this store. Most of that center is vacant. I wonder if this is BiLo's plan, if they are NOT one of the chains looking at the North Main site.

Yes, it is the 600 block that the TBA was referring to.

That place is rather shabby looking. A couple of years ago when Perone's closed, there was a plan to include the 2 vacant buildings beside the bank that front on Pleasantburg. However, after Perone's closed and sold out, the deal fell through. Not sure why. The plan included an Eckerds or CVS with some other stores as well.

If someone were to raze that whole block and start over, it wouldn't hurt my feelings. :)

Man, I wish that had happened. You are right, almost that whole block could be re-made.

That entire area needs a makeover, expecially with the traffic flow. The Laurens Road bridge over Pleasantburg will be up for replacement in a few years. The new one will be longer to accomodate Pleasantburg's 6 lanes from the current 4. Antrim Drive would be turned into northbound and southbound on/off ramps for Pleasantburg Drive.

Very interesting. How definite is this? If done right, it would be a great upgrade to this store. Most of that center is vacant. I wonder if this is BiLo's plan, if they are NOT one of the chains looking at the North Main site.

Yes, it is the 600 block that the TBA was referring to.

If you are speaking of a site on the east side of 600 block, it would be that large vacant site where a 1950s/1960s era Winn Dixie was once located. A 35,000+/- supermarket (w/ pharmacy) with two or three parking levels above would do well for the site. Imagine two glass elevators and people movers in Greenville!

The same could be done with 505 North Main, where Bi-Lo is presently located. The upper parking lot accessible to North Academy could be closed off to allow room for more retail/office space. A new parking deck could be built out in front with access to both levels.

For 2006/08/18...

TBAs:

South Carolina is quiely putting together plans to show the benefits of high-speed rail especially in the Upstate. This plan has been bandied about for close to a decade, but one of the hopes is high-speed rail will cuit fuel demands in the state by up to 10 percent.

Are the first tenants lining up for the proposed shopping center at Garlington and Pelham roads? There is a lot of buzz about major retailers and a possible movie theater, but the story seems to change day-to-day. It built, this could provide a major extension to the busy Pelham Road shopping district.

It looks like the sale of naming rights for the Palmetto Expo is not happening as fast as the city has hoped. This doesn't mean it won't happen, but it is just delayed for a while.

We keep heraing more and more about Bi-Lo adding a store on Church Street in the Haynie-Sirrine neighborhood, but the developers are remaining officially quiet. However, the project could include housing as part of a major redevelopment of this sometimes overlooked neighborhood a few blocks from downtown.

One of those many downtown towers that were proposed last spring may be comign to fruition. The Pinnacle on Main's Web site states construction could start sometime in the third quarter of 2006.

With the changes made to the Pete Hollis Highway area's zoning, it will be interesting to see what happens with the proposed Spinx gas station along the corridor. Such businesses appear to be banned under the new laws, but would Spinx be grandfathered in because of its plans?

The Pelham Road corridor has received some mention here lately with the development idea at Garlington Road. I would not be surprised to hear more about a multiplex with the vacant Pelham 10 still standing.

Though the South Church Street store is not officially confirmed, Bi-Lo recently announced a capital investment plan in several upstate SC counties. It officially confirms two Super Bi-Los, the existing Pelham Road Bi-Lo and the new northwestern Simpsonville location as SC-14/417. The Clemson location will undergo an expansion, but no word if will become Super Bi-Lo.

Bi-Lo plans six additional locations/relocations in Greer, Anderson, Wren, Moonville and Greenville. This may include the announced locations in Anderson (SC-24 at Whitehall Road) and Moonville (US-25 @ Old Grove Road). Wren (SC-81 @ Wren School Road), Greer (SC-14 @ South Buncombe and Hammett Bridge roads) and Greenville (South Church Street) are unconfirmed but likely to happen. I'm unsure on the sixth one, but interest may be back in Taylors near Greenville Technical College's Greer Campus.

Regarding the Pete Hollis Highway, I think gas stations/convenience stores were not considered in businessed banned from locating along the corridor. Spinx owns the land and had a former store on it 15-20 years ago. It is something that needs to be built.

Regarding the Pete Hollis Highway, I think gas stations/convenience stores were not considered in businessed banned from locating along the corridor. Spinx owns the land and had a former store on it 15-20 years ago. It is something that needs to be built.

I know the residents behind that site on James St were complaining about the plans to build a station there. It would definitely be a good spot for one. It would get a ton of traffic.

What I don't understand is why Spinx would want to develop a new station where they've proposed when there's a perfect location at the corner of Stone and Rutherford, just about a block away. Is that location too small for Spinx? Do they always have to build huge stations?

Spinx already owns the other property, and he has for a long time. This location has been on the radar for years.

Huge Stations - I would say yes. It is part of the Spinx brand. The big WELL lit store with Gas, food, milk at grocery prices, etc.

What I don't understand is why Spinx would want to develop a new station where they've proposed when there's a perfect location at the corner of Stone and Rutherford, just about a block away. Is that location too small for Spinx? Do they always have to build huge stations?

I would rather not have a convenient gas station located next to a shelter for suspicious activities. Locating along Pet Hollis Highway would bring some business back to a neglected corridor. The Rutherford Street/Poinsett Highway corridor will see its rebirth soon.

I know the residents behind that site on James St were complaining about the plans to build a station there. It would definitely be a good spot for one. It would get a ton of traffic.

I guess those reactors want to see their property values decrease if they do not see a vision of revitalizing that specific area. Change must be accepted if you want to prosper.

I would rather not have a convenient gas station located next to a shelter for suspicious activities. Locating along Pet Hollis Highway would bring some business back to a neglected corridor. The Rutherford Street/Poinsett Highway corridor will see its rebirth soon.

I guess those reactors want to see their property values decrease if they do not see a vision of revitalizing that specific area. Change must be accepted if you want to prosper.

Convenience stores aren't exactly the 'anchors' of revitialization. Often they are the opposite. Convenience stores can vary greatly in appearance and quality. Spinx stores are on the higher end certainly, but any place that sell beer cheaply will be an invitation to the vagrants that are already in the area. Read the Journal cover story, if you haven't already.

I realize gas/convenience stores are a necessity, and it might turn out okay, but it would definitely be wise to tread carefully on this one.

Archived