Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

But the big news we are talking about internally is the one-year audit of Journal readers. ABC, which is the official auditor of the newspaper industry, said we average 250,000 readers a week. That is by the most in the Upstate. Since I know a lot of on UP read the paper, I just want to say thank you for the support.

So I guess my advertising rates are about to go up? :D

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I knew it couldn't be Rolls, because they are justing starting the process and haven't selected a state even. But that is good, because eventually we might get Rolls too and then there are two major projects.

Congrats on the circulation achievement! You guys do a great job! Keep up the great work.

What is this Rising Roll Gourmet? Is it a resturant?

Maybe with the plans for the second story, Ayers Leather Shop will give their exterior a nice facelift. I'd love to see balconies at that corner overlooking Main and North Streets for residential units. :)

The big announcement has me excited. I hope the suspense doesn't build too long. I want to know ASAP :blush: .

I wish I could confirm it was Rolls Royce, but I don't think it is. Sorry guys.

Some of the other stuff covered this week was:

Talk about Rudolph Anderson monument

Smoking Ban lawsuit.

Story on the Carlton Owen/$200 million forestry endowment

Story on a cool product being designed by Milliken. It's a kayak that is half the weight of a typical one.

GSP's plans and how it fits into the Upstate.

But the big news we are talking about internally is the one-year audit of Journal readers. ABC, which is the official auditor of the newspaper industry, said we average 250,000 readers a week. That is by far the most in the Upstate. Since I know a lot of you on UP read the paper, I just want to say thank you for the support.

Thats fantastic news. Is that for Greenville, Spartanburg, and Anderson editions combined?

But the big news we are talking about internally is the one-year audit of Journal readers. ABC, which is the official auditor of the newspaper industry, said we average 250,000 readers a week. That is by far the most in the Upstate. Since I know a lot of you on UP read the paper, I just want to say thank you for the support.

Yes, congratulations on that! :thumbsup: I somehow missed this the first time I read through. I have the same question: Is this Greenville-only or all three papers/markets?

I am fortunate enough to live in one of those neighborhoods where the Journal is delivered to us; however, if it was not, I would certainly go out and buy it on a weekly basis. I'm like a kid at Christmas on Thursday evening looking for that bright shiny red truck. :lol:

Yes, congratulations on that! :thumbsup: I somehow missed this the first time I read through. I have the same question: Is this Greenville-only or all three papers/markets?

I am fortunate enough to live in one of those neighborhoods where the Journal is delivered to us; however, if it was not, I would certainly go out and buy it on a weekly basis. I'm like a kid at Christmas on Thursday evening looking for that bright shiny red truck. :lol:

It's all three markets, we are still waiting on the full breakdown per sector.

In TBA a couple of weeks back, there was an item saying some some annexations would soon be occurring. They were commercial areas. We now know what those are. Greenville Mall, as expected and also the Old Jeff Lynch location, and lastly Chiefs Wings and Firewater on Congaree.

Also, 20 acres were recently added for Verdae. About 100 acres total, that should bring substantial $ to the city without significant costs.

I found it interesting that Chiefs is annexing to sell Sunday liquor even though, it will mean also no smoking will be allowed. I guess alcohol is a stronger draw, :P

Greenville adds commercial areas

In TBA a couple of weeks back, there was an item saying some some annexations would soon be occurring. They were commercial areas. We now know what those are. Greenville Mall, as expected and also the Old Jeff Lynch location, and lastly Chiefs Wings and Firewater on Congaree.

Are there big plans for the old Jeff Lynch location or what's there now? I haven't ventured that far up Pleasantburg in a long time.

Partial quote:

** Gville based Aussie Burger appears to be reopening. An opening soon sign popped up on the Pleasantburg/Mauldin Road location.

Aussie Burger at S. Pleasantburg and Mauldin Road has a For Sale sign out front and appears to be closed. Not sure about the one on N. Pleasantburg...

So far, Moes South West Grill, Shane's Rib Shack and Great Clips at the Jeff Lynch Site.

When Fresh Market moves, their space will be taken in by Bi-Lo SuperCenter? Will this all tie in with Moes, Shanes, etc and be one larger center, or will these restaurants be freestanding?

When Fresh Market moves, their space will be taken in by Bi-Lo SuperCenter? Will this all tie in with Moes, Shanes, etc and be one larger center, or will these restaurants be freestanding?

I see them as one strip center, which is common with Moe's Southwest Grill and Great Clips.

Bi-Lo would only expand up to the current Fresh Market. The University Shop, North Hills Photography, and The Crate will relocate.

TBA:

* The city will soon announce annexstions in the area of Woodruff and Halton Roads. One could add 800 residents immediately. [Apartment complex(s) ??]

* The rule change on Sunday alcohol sales in stores will lead to several businesses annexing into city limits. That happened to some extent with restaurnats in the last few years

* Study on High-Speed rail will be out after the first of the year. Best case scenario is it will stop in Sburg, Gville, GSP, and Clemson.

* City is looking at footing the bill to pick up trash at townhouse and apartment complexes. This is because of the growing demand due to an increase in urban dwellings.

* With the Bof A garrage being demolished, the city will add a connector bridge between that building and the Richardson St. garage.

Will the connector bridge be open or will it be more like a skywalk? Will someone please remind me which street it will cross over?

There's currently a bit of a gap between the Richardson Street Garage and the BOA building (both being on the same block, separated by an alley and lower floors of the BOA building, as seen here:

83630983_ddd173730a.jpg

and to a lesser extent, seen here:

76899420_5178353bee.jpg

The bridge will cross between the two structures.

• 3 weeks later...

For the first time ever, I am posting the TBA. :lol:

TBA for 12/29/06:

* Look to hear information about an endowment trust being set up for downtown Greenville. Other cities including Chicago have done similar things...

* The "Shoeless Joe" Jackson Museum should be open by mid-April, which is the same time the Greenville Drive's season starts. The museum is across the street from West End Field. The building is Jackson's former home, which was moved last year. Also look for a Web site about the museum to debut shortly...

* Speaking of museums, the regional history museum on Herigate Green should be ready to open by the fall. The structure was built several years ago, but only recently has money been raised for exhibits...

* A downtown parking study will be available after the first of the year...

* Negotiations continue to see if City Council Chambers could go on the first floor of a proposed structure for City Hall Plaza. It has long been a city goal to move chambers from teh 10th floor of City Hall. The proposed building for City Hall is mixed-use...

* Much in the way the tower explosion for downtown Greenville never panned out two years ago because of the competition, some think the same will happen with the proposed hotel build-out at the vortex of Interstate 85, 385, and Woodruff Road...

* As conversations continue about county offices moving to Woodruff Road to be part of Magnolia Park Town Center, some are wondering about more than just traffic increases. A lot of businesses set up shop downtown to be close to county offices in case last minute permits and the like were needed. Some wonder if that ease will be there if the offices are on Woodruff...

For the first time ever, I am posting the TBA. :lol:

TBA for 12/29/06:

* Look to hear information about an endowment trust being set up for downtown Greenville. Other cities including Chicago have done similar things...

Thanks for posting Greenville. :thumbsup:

I'm curious about this trust for downtown. How will grants work? Who / what will be the beneficiary of these grants? Sounds interesting. Anybody know more on this?

I am intrigued by that one as well, gsupstate. I assume this is for buildings/facades and things that would preserve the charachter of downtown.

Haha, it seems we could all use a little more information on this one. It sounds great, though, and as if it'd go to contribute to the details of downtown.

I'll do this week's TBA:

-A major development may be brewing in the Greer area. Florida developers are said to be looking at a very big project in that area...

-Stevens Aviation will soon hold a rededication of its offices at Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport...

-Expect to hear some more news about the groundbreaking for the South Financial Headquarters along Interstate 85 in the coming weeks. The bank conglomerate's campus will provide the link between I-CAR and Woodruff Road...

-The refurbished sidewalks are done in front of McAlister Square. This is part of the city's plan to revitalize Pleasantburg Drive back into one of the city's main corridors. This dovetails nicely into the redevelopment of the area around Antrim Drive...

-Work has started on the Brick Street Lofts. This is just one of many developments that have been sparked by completion of the West End Field...

-The naming rights for the Palmetto Expo Center are still on the table, and there is hope a deal could be struck soon. Some feel the name "expo" has outlived its usefulness for Greenville...

-Also, work continues on getting plans to the public for the structure that will go at City Hall Plaza. The drawings should be out there within the next 30 days for a building that could include a hotel and City Council chambers on the ground floor...

-An announcement is imminent about 100 more jobs coming to Greenville. An out-of-state company is looking to move into a building just outside The Matrix, south of city limits along the Southern Connector...

-Expect to hear about a groundbreaking for the Pinnacle on Main real soon. This is the tower on Main Street near Springwood Cemetery...

-The naming rights for the Palmetto Expo Center are still on the table, and there is hope a deal could be struck soon. Some feel the name "expo" has outlived its usefulness for Greenville...

I think we discussed this at some point in the past. I'm not aware of any convention center that has sold naming rights to a company (I'm sure some exist), but it's not a bad idea. I, too, think the "expo" part of the name is outdated. It makes it sound as though the center is only for trade shows and things like that.

Archived