Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good news about Rush Wilson. The brand names that store sells are on par with the best of Madison Avenue and 57th Street- Oxxford Clothes, Burberry, etc. A nice renovation will really make that store be a jewel! Glad to hear it.

I haven't noticed them in the other building (temporary location) yet. They had big SALE banners up today, but were still in the original location. I am pleased with this news as well. Great store to have in the heart of the city. :shades:

Ok, I got the new journal this week.

Front Cover Story: Not Enough Money "Greenville sees Southernside Center as vital, but there's no money to properly fund it."

Stories inside the Journal-

*Peacock Hotel and Spa. "Developers beat several plans to the table for that site." (Note: each room will have flat panel televisions) Page 28

*Greenville will try to get greener. "City the latest to sign Kyoto Protocol." Page 43

*So close, but yet behind. "Upstate ranks 9th in mid-size cities for entrepreneurs in the country, but lags the state." Page 44

Tidbits-

*The Kroc Center now has the official support of County Council. A resolution passed that pledges to secure $2 million in funding for the center over the next five years. Page 21

*First National Bank of the South will break ground on its new Greenville market headquarters later this year on Pelham Road. The bank will be 6,000 square feet. Page 26

*Rendering of Bank Greenville's headquarters currently under construction. Page 11, bottom right.

*Cool advertisement for the USA vs. Japan game at West End Field. Page 24, top right.

TBA-(all on page 39)

*The Motorsport Industry Association is eyeing CU-ICAR as a possible place to set up an office. The group is one of the leaders in promoting the motorsports business worldwide...

*And Darlington Raceway also is looking at CU-ICAR in Greenville for some tie-ins. Darlington and Clemson officials are discussing ways they can partner that would help both groups...

*The Upstate Alliance will announce in August plans to add another public entity to its list of partners...

*The Peace Center is said to be trying to purchase the Klingman-Williams building on River Street. The building has been talked about for an art's enclave and would serve as an anchor for development west along the Reedy River...

*High-end movie collectibles store is coming to Main Street Greenville. Hollywood Gallery is expected to open in the coming weeks with vintage signed posters and other movie materials...

*The former Essentials store on Main Steet also will have a new tenant soon, but it won't be retail. A web company is moving its offices to the location...

*Convenience store chains continue to look at the central business district of Greenville, but none have signed any deals to date. City leaders have coveted a full service store with a pharmacy for some time...

Business Cover Story: Development in, garbage out. "Builders find oddities on project site." Page 39

*And Darlington Raceway also is looking at CU-ICAR in Greenville for some tie-ins. Darlington and Clemson officials are discussing ways they can partner that would help both groups...

I find this tidbit encouraging. I've been wondering how the Pee Dee could be tied into some of the research-oriented efforts in the state. I forgot all about the racing industry in Darlington. Good job!

Ok, I got the new journal this week.

Front Cover Story: Not Enough Money "Greenville sees Southernside Center as vital, but there's no money to properly fund it."

Stories inside the Journal-

*Peacock Hotel and Spa. "Developers beat several plans to the table for that site." (Note: each room will have flat panel televisions) Page 28

*Greenville will try to get greener. "City the latest to sign Kyoto Protocol." Page 43

*So close, but yet behind. "Upstate ranks 9th in mid-size cities for entrepreneurs in the country, but lags the state." Page 44

Tidbits-

*The Kroc Center now has the official support of County Council. A resolution passed that pledges to secure $2 million in funding for the center over the next five years. Page 21

*First National Bank of the South will break ground on its new Greenville market headquarters later this year on Pelham Road. The bank will be 6,000 square feet. Page 26

*Rendering of Bank Greenville's headquarters currently under construction. Page 11, bottom right.

*Cool advertisement for the USA vs. Japan game at West End Field. Page 24, top right.

TBA-(all on page 39)

*The Motorsport Industry Association is eyeing CU-ICAR as a possible place to set up an office. The group is one of the leaders in promoting the motorsports business worldwide...

*The Upstate Alliance will announce in August plans to add another public entity to its list of partners...

*The Peace Center is said to be trying to purchase the Klingman-Williams building on River Street. The building has been talked about for an art's enclave and would serve as an anchor for development west along the Reedy River...

*High-end movie collectibles store is coming to Main Street Greenville. Hollywood Gallery is expected to open in the coming weeks with vintage signed posters and other movie materials...

*The former Essentials store on Main Steet also will have a new tenant soon, but it won't be retail. A web company is moving its offices to the location...

*Convenience store chains continue to look at the central business district of Greenville, but none have signed any deals to date. City leaders have coveted a full service store with a pharmacy for some time...

Business Cover Story: Development in, garbage out. "Builders find oddities on project site." Page 39

Very concise post of this week's journal. I was kind of surprised they didn't have Peacock on the cover, but the story inside talked about what it means for biz conferences, and how it could help Greenville land mored, which I believe was a topic on urbanplanet this week.

MIA is also big news...kind of par with bringing SAE to ICAR.

SO the article says the developers of the Peacock beat several plans for the site. I wonder if these other planners are now looking other sites DT. As we know there are plenty of sites that could use some development. Anyone know what othr plans might have been made for that site? (or who was planning them)

Keystone Properties, LLC was planning to build a 12-story office tower on this same property, so I imagine they may be looking elsewhere. They had publicly announced the office tower would definitely be built whether the Kimbrell's building was available or not. Hopefully the ridiculous members of the DPC haven't run them out of town.

Heck, CU-ICAR should hopefully be entertaining not only Darlington, but also Lowes and Atlanta, too, at the very least for tie-ins.

Oh most definitely. It's just good to see such a significant in-state project helping other parts of the state, especially those that need it.

For July 28...

TBAs...

CU-ICAR has readied a $16 million order with SunMicrosystems for the automotive research park's computational center, but the request is being delayed until Clemson can find space for the equipment. One possibility is the first building that will be part of the park's "Neighborhood II"...

Trehel Corporation has purchased a building which has been a landmark in downtown. They will be moving their Greenville offices there in the fall...

The owner of Burt's Bees will be in Greenville this week to introduce a new line of his pipular lip balm products to the area. The event will be July 28 at Mast General on Main Street...

Expect a new advertising campaign with the change in leadership at the Greenville Hospital System. Teh Atlanta actress who has been the face of the company's print ads will be gone and likely be replaced with the new boss, Michael Riordan...

The "Shoelss" Joe Jackson museum's opening has been pushed back until next summer. The museum housed in Jackson's former home was scheduled to open this summer, but several issues delayed it...

The city will again look at what to do about downtown bars in regard to the Board of Zoning Appeals. Se3veral rulings by the board have led to legal challenges in the last year, and the city wants to clarify some of the issues such as what constitutes a bar as opposed to a restaurant that serves alcohol...

A contract for the remainder of the renovations at the Palmetto Expo Center should be awarded by the end of August...

Articles

*Pro sports struggle in Greenville

*Duke could study Greenville's race relations

*Changes are on the way for Interstate 85: focuses on CU-ICAR

How big is Trehel? Their website says that their headquarters are in Clemson, and that they have offices in Greenville. The TBA did not state that they are moving their headquarters, so I don't really know. If they were, I would wonder if purchasing a Greenville "landmark" downtown meant the Landmark Building.

How big is Trehel? Their website says that their headquarters are in Clemson, and that they have offices in Greenville. The TBA did not state that they are moving their headquarters, so I don't really know. If they were, I would wonder if purchasing a Greenville "landmark" downtown meant the Landmark Building.

Hmmm, this is all very interesting! I hope it's their headquarters.

The article on ICAR in the current issue makes pretty big claims about it. It says that ICAR could be the single biggest development for the state since the establishment of the Port of Charleston! I have not heard this comparison before. But the port has effected every part of the state for decades, so I imagine it might be difficult for ICAR to live up to that expectation, though I suppose (and hope) it is possible. In some ways I wish it were on a faster track. They said it could take 20 years to develop, but I would think it could be done just as effectively in half the time or less, without any negative impact on the project. Thoughts?

The article on ICAR in the current issue makes pretty big claims about it. It says that ICAR could be the single biggest development for the state since the establishment of the Port of Charleston! I have not heard this comparison before. But the port has effected every part of the state for decades, so I imagine it might be difficult for ICAR to live up to that expectation, though I suppose (and hope) it is possible. In some ways I wish it were on a faster track. They said it could take 20 years to develop, but I would think it could be done just as effectively in half the time or less, without any negative impact on the project. Thoughts?

I think the thing to keep in mind here is how large the total CU-ICAR project will be when completed. Consider this... there are five "neighborhoods". Only part of the first one is under construction... and much of that is taken up by the BMW and Clemson Graduate Facility... not exactly lured tenants.

There's a long way to go with this project. While it may be nice to hope to have things speed up, I think the twenty-year pace of the project will workout nicely with the developments nearby (The South and Verdae). By the end, it will probably end up as ultra high-end infill.

For 2006/8/4:

TBAs:

Control of the old Woolworth's building is almost complete. Pavilion Development Corp. is selling its rights to a section of the building to Main at Washington, LLC. Along with that goes Pavilion's development contract with the city. This change could mean the long vacant Wollworth's may be town down and something new put in its place...

The fast-growing CommunitySouth Bak will open its Greer branch sometime this fall. The Easley-based banlk is quickly adding branches across the Upstate...

The city's new zoning ordinance will come for a vote on Monday. Do not expect too many fireworks, but this plan will put more control on businesses such as day labor finders and plasma centers in Greenville...

Work coninues on the wind tunnel feasibility study for the CU-ICAR campus. The wind tunnel was one of original calling gards for the automotive research park...

City Council met behind closed doors this week on the long-awaited City Hall Plaza revelopment plans. No decision was made, and do not expect anything official being done by Council until September...

Now that Nathanael Greene has been encased in bronze along Main Street, the monument for Sterling High is next. Things are progressing quickly for the statue at teh corner of Main Street and McBee Avenue...

I want my Chamber Channel? OK, it may not be a s catchy as the old MTV slogan, but the Greenville Chamber of Commer is launching its own channel on the agency's Web site to highlight its events...

I expect something really great on the Woolworth's site. That is PRIME real estate, and a large piece of downtown property (in urban terms, anyway). As visible as that location is, I hope the developer does a top quality job!

Isn't this the site that GvilleSC hinted about a few weeks ago with the 20+ story building, or was it just near here? GvilleSC?

Isn't this the site that GvilleSC hinted about a few weeks ago with the 20+ story building, or was it just near here? GvilleSC?

That's the site. But the proposal I saw was not chosen (i dont think). So, don't expect the 20 story tower I saw. But that's not to say that someone else's proposal didn't include a tower of that size or taller... I hope we hear something soon as to what they are planning...

Archived