Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

Don't have time to post everything, but here are a few items:

Article with rendering of the Fountain at Heritage Green. COnstruction start sin JAn, finishes in April.

"some major changes coming in the next few months" to The Point.

Bloom looking at Stone Ave. locations

County Sq/ Gville Mall deal still on track, expect no annoucement before Feb.

Woolworth metal overhang may be gone soon, even if construction isn't immediate

Old Braves Stadium may stay, Upstate Mavericks have been successful there.

Article on Whittenburg School

Vacancy rates down across the board. DT Class A is at 7.1

207 N. Main DT, has been leased by retailer "Carolina Chocolates"

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably just somebody else that noticed the void and thought it'd be a good idea, too. :thumbsup:

I must give VicUpstate credit for doing his homework on the chocolate store...the only reason I found out about because I was getting takeout at Blue Ridge, and saw the owner doing work on the inside. I asked him what he was doing. VU got the information on the name that wasn't in TBA.

Some of the other stuff in this week's paper:

Story on shotgun shooting becoming a new form of networking.

Story on a pretty cool pharmaceutical company that is starting up here. They have a product called Bensal that seems to work on a lot of ailments. Former Bi-lo chief Jon Wilken is involved.

Also, stories on city cracking down on abandoned buildings around town, illegal dumping and kudzu.

"some major changes coming in the next few months" to The Point.

We know The South Financial Group should begin actual construction early next year.

A connector road between Market Point Drive and Carolina Point Parkway has been in the making. It is hard to transverse from Thomasville to Bob Evans dodging pedestrains through the Circuit City area.

Perhaps a major announcement of big retailer that will bring people to the site. Can you imagine a BPS at The Point?

Bloom looking at Stone Ave. locations

There are several vacant lots in the East Stone Avenue area around Wade Hampton Boulevard/North Church Street.

I must give VicUpstate credit for doing his homework on the chocolate store...the only reason I found out about because I was getting takeout at Blue Ridge, and saw the owner doing work on the inside. I asked him what he was doing. VU got the information on the name that wasn't in TBA.

The info. was in the Dealmakers column in this issue. No real sleuthing on my part.

While opening a business is always risky, a chocolate shop on Main seems like such a 'no-brainer', it will be a great addition to DT. It's amazing someone didn't do it sooner.

The info. was in the Dealmakers column in this issue. No real sleuthing on my part.

Ha!...actually, the chocolate shop was supposed to be in next week's tba...I was thinking I may have added it last minute, and was wondering where you got the name....got to find another tba for next week.

There was a chocolate shop on Main Street a few years ago. It was where the cellular store is now.

Story on a pretty cool pharmaceutical company that is starting up here. They have a product called Bensal that seems to work on a lot of ailments. Former Bi-lo chief Jon Wilken is involved.

Like starting from scratch? Does this sound like it will become a BIG thing and an important part of Greenville? Not sure exactly what the story is here. I need to get my hands on a Journal over here in Clemson.

• 2 weeks later...

TBAs for 24-Nov-2006:

Grading is scheduled to start soon on the Pinnacle on Main tower. After that, the first walls for the underground parking deck will be put on the site. Developer Bob Ellis said he is pretty clsoe to getting all his tenants signed, and is actively pursuing a main achnor for the bottom floor.

The parking garage and the first office spaces for the second phase of RiverPlace are on schedule for 2007 openings, but no definitive word on when the third phase may break ground.

With the development of Cherrydale Point shopping center on one side and the small strip of shops on the other, Pleasantburg Drive is starting to resemble Woodruff Road more and more. Makes you wonder if all those roads are big enough to handle growth.

Expect to hear an announcement about 100 more jhobs coming to Greenville. An out-of-state company is looking to move into a building south of the city limits along the Southern Connector.

Expect to see some more signs at Art Crossing, the artists' colony that bas been gaining a lot of attention along the Reedy River.

Greenville may get its first peek at the proposed hotel development at teh City Hall plaza site on Main Street by the end of the year. The look of the development has been heavily debated of late, so anticipation is high.

The new Fresh Market development at Antrim Drive will likely deplete the city's current funding for Pleasantburg Drive corridor improvements for this year as teh city has promised several upgrades to the project.

Democratic control of Congress could affect Greenville's fedearal wish list. The city will meet with its federal lobbyist soon to discuss what projects may or may not be getting funding.

With the development of Cherrydale Point shopping center on one side and the small strip of shops on the other, Pleasantburg Drive is starting to resemble Woodruff Road more and more. Makes you wonder if all those roads are big enough to handle growth.

North Pleasantburg Drive, East Blue Ridge Drive, and Poinsett Highway currently has no problems with the ongoing growth.

Old Buncombe and State Park/East Mountain Creek Church roads are two corridors in dire need of improvement within 10-15 years. These routes are primarily used for residential communities and light retail. Such improvement would be widening them to four lanes - Old Buncombe Road from West Blue Ridge Drive (SC-253) to Poinsett Highway (US-276), State Park/East Mountain Creek Church roads (SC-253) from Montibello to US-25 in Travelers Rest.

Greeville Journals's TBAs for 1-Dec-2006:

Expect to hear some big news after the first of the year on plans for Freedom Weekend Aloft. The event is returning to Greenville County after several years of calling Anderson its home base.

There is a lot of talk about what kind of money - if any - could be coming to Greenville if the state legislature passes a bond bill. The last time this was done was in 2004 and helped provide some much needed money for Palmetto Expo Center renovations.

The downtown landscape is rapidly chaning as new businesses move in, while older businesses move out. Normally these events are spaced out, but there has been a recent string of retail shops closing in downtown.

While presidential hopefuls will be courting votes in 2007, expect to see Greenville leaders courting dollars. South Carolina will be a presidential race hot spot and that means a lot of promises are being made. That could lead to federal funds for some much needed projects locally.

Expect to hear some more information on high-speed rail in the region coming soon. Greenville City Council is highly interested in the subject.

How can a Florence County senator help Greenville roads? State Sen. Hugh Leatherman is expected to push for an increase in hte gas tax to help transportation department funding projects.

A lot of houses in the Sirrine neighborhood have been boarded up in recent months. COuld the long-rumored redevelopment be around the corner?

A lot of houses in the Sirrine neighborhood have been boarded up in recent months. COuld the long-rumored redevelopment be around the corner?

Actually, several of the vacant houses have just been torn down, which should help keep the crime level down a bit in that neighborhood - well, at least it removes a few possible locations for the crack heads to do their thing. I say let the bulldozers continue on through the whole mess of a neighborhood, but give the current residents options elsewhere (Arcadia Hills, for example). I always cringe when giving friends directions into the city from that direction. Not that ugly neighborhoods are unique to Greenville, but that one is completely opposite from where Greenville is headed.

There is a lot of talk about what kind of money - if any - could be coming to Greenville if the state legislature passes a bond bill. The last time this was done was in 2004 and helped provide some much needed money for Palmetto Expo Center renovations.

While presidential hopefuls will be courting votes in 2007, expect to see Greenville leaders courting dollars. South Carolina will be a presidential race hot spot and that means a lot of promises are being made. That could lead to federal funds for some much needed projects locally.

Expect to hear some more information on high-speed rail in the region coming soon. Greenville City Council is highly interested in the subject.

How can a Florence County senator help Greenville roads? State Sen. Hugh Leatherman is expected to push for an increase in hte gas tax to help transportation department funding projects.

Could at least a few of these items be related? The key word in the first snippet is, "IF any." Somehow when it comes to Federal dollars for economic development, Greenville takes a back seat to Columbia and Charleston. That needs to change. It would be nice if bonds were being considered an option to get some of our transportation needs met. At this point, I would consider our desperate road situation an emergency - and it is not going to improve without serious and rapid help.

Some other articles in this week's Journal....

Where $ would go from County-wide Hospitality Tax. Total Funds $51mm.

Action expected within 2 weeks on Old G Braves Stadium. It will be sold. Few details so far.

Study shows USC getting whiter and richer.

City Council:

City agrees to more art galleries when the Riverplace Development expands.

City agrees to add three years to agreement with developer Tom Croft for 426 N. Main. Croft has first right of refusal if the city sells it. [he developed the adacent 400 North Main condo]

Article on Peacock Hotel. Expect a 20 month construction schedule.

More Underground power lines may be in Gville's future

Matrix Business Park is seeing a spike in activity. Two lareg spec buildings are going up in addition to two build to suit buildings.

Bank of America work to begin soon. Fascade and lobby work will start soon as will demo of the garage. Owner is still trying to acquire more adacent property. Woolworth/Piazza Bergamo areas may join the Bof A project into one larger project. Few details though.

Article on Magnolia Park. Concrete and steel will be reused from Gville Mall demo.

Could at least a few of these items be related? The key word in the first snippet is, "IF any." Somehow when it comes to Federal dollars for economic development, Greenville takes a back seat to Columbia and Charleston. That needs to change. It would be nice if bonds were being considered an option to get some of our transportation needs met. At this point, I would consider our desperate road situation an emergency - and it is not going to improve without serious and rapid help.

Bondas are better than raising taxes. Raising the gax tax in a time of rising fuel prices is regressive when taxpayers barely make enough to afford 10 gallons worth at very inflated prices.

Why not build new necessary limited access highways as toll roads?

How does Gville take a back seat to Cola or Chas? I'm not questioning you, just curious. Spartanburg takes the back seat all the time. I'd say that the roads thing is a statewide issue. My experience with Greenville County is that they are relatively good, but I don't get down to Mauldin/Simpsonville very often so maybe its different down there.

Why not build new necessary limited access highways as toll roads?

I think thats a fantastic idea personally. All forms of mass transportation, even for cars, should require a fee of some sort. But I doubt you'd see that fly given the general flop of the Southern Connector.

How does Gville take a back seat to Cola or Chas? I'm not questioning you, just curious. Spartanburg takes the back seat all the time. I'd say that the roads thing is a statewide issue. My experience with Greenville County is that they are relatively good, but I don't get down to Mauldin/Simpsonville very often so maybe its different down there.

The City of Greenville use to never get Federal funds because it did not seek them. Now it does, so it is seeing some money.

I think thats a fantastic idea personally. All forms of mass transportation, even for cars, should require a fee of some sort. But I doubt you'd see that fly given the general flop of the Southern Connector.

There is a fee that cars pay to use the highways, it is called the gas tax. Why not raise it rather than build toll booths.

Not too many people have to use the Connector to get where they want to go. If I-95 was a toll road, that would bring in some bank.

The City of Greenville use to never get Federal funds because it did not seek them. Now it does, so it is seeing some money.

There is a fee that cars pay to use the highways, it is called the gas tax. Why not raise it rather than build toll booths.

I'm ok with either. But with that should come a larger federal share of transit capital and operating costs. Right now the fed pays 90% of new highway contruction and something like 20% for transit (this figure may be off a little bit).

** Parking study results will be out soon. Rate increase may be recommended.

** Hubbell Lighting to open by this spring.

** Roadwork groundbreaking to be announced in the next couple of months for South Financial campus

** Atlanta based Rising Roll Gourmet is looking at Gville for expansion

** Gville Transit will achieve 1 mm riders this year

** Ayers Leather Shop is working a plans for it's second story, now used just for storage.

** Legislature will take up immigration bills this term.

and the best for last ......

quoting word for word here...

Big announcemennts could be on the way from the Clemson automotive research campus in Gville. The campus may soon have to expand in size and exercise its land options for the park..."

^ very interesting. Too soon to be Rolls Royce. In the posts on that topic, someone has mentioned a major project with I-85 frontage. That might be what that poster was referring to.

** Parking study results will be out soon. Rate increase may be recommended.

** Hubbell Lighting to open by this spring.

** Roadwork groundbreaking to be announced in the next couple of months for South Financial campus

** Atlanta based Rising Roll Gourmet is looking at Gville for expansion

** Gville Transit will achieve 1 mm riders this year

** Ayers Leather Shop is working a plans for it's second story, now used just for storage.

** Legislature will take up immigration bills this term.

and the best for last ......

quoting word for word here...

Big announcemennts could be on the way from the Clemson automotive research campus in Gville. The campus may soon have to expand in size and exercise its land options for the park..."

^ very interesting. Too soon to be Rolls Royce. In the posts on that topic, someone has mentioned a major project with I-85 frontage. That might be what that poster was referring to.

I wish I could confirm it was Rolls Royce, but I don't think it is. Sorry guys.

Some of the other stuff covered this week was:

Talk about Rudolph Anderson monument

Smoking Ban lawsuit.

Story on the Carlton Owen/$200 million forestry endowment

Story on a cool product being designed by Milliken. It's a kayak that is half the weight of a typical one.

GSP's plans and how it fits into the Upstate.

But the big news we are talking about internally is the one-year audit of Journal readers. ABC, which is the official auditor of the newspaper industry, said we average 250,000 readers a week. That is by far the most in the Upstate. Since I know a lot of you on UP read the paper, I just want to say thank you for the support.

Archived