Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

Interesting tidbit form one of the articles on DT from last weeks Journal, DT has a daytime population 110, 000, NOT the 200,000 we have heard and bragged about for years. :shok::huh:

The 200,000 is for the entire city. However, I'll wager downtown reaches this number on certain days - especially weekends. No one can deny that the number is clearly rising every year as well. ;)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this is the census report, but it is from the year 2000, which was nearly seven years ago. I think we can all agree things have definitely improved since then. The best estimate at this point would probably need to come from a local organization such as the City of Greenville, the Chamber of Commerce, the CVB, etc. These people have a much better grasp on the reality of growth in this part of the state.

I know this is the census report, but it is from the year 2000, which was nearly seven years ago. I think we can all agree things have definitely improved since then. The best estimate at this point would probably need to come from a local organization such as the City of Greenville, the Chamber of Commerce, the CVB, etc. These people have a much better grasp on the reality of growth in this part of the state.

I've heard council members say it is closer to 150,000 downtown during the daytime...so 200,000 is not out of reason for the entire city.

As of the 2000 census, Greenville was the only city in the US with more than 50k residents whose "population" grew by at least 85% during a work day. Greenville was listed as having 56,002 residents, with a daytime population of 110,513, which works out to an increase of 97% in population during the work day. The next medium size city with similar characteristics was Palo Alto, with 58,598 residents and a daytime population of 106,305 (an 81% increase during the day).

I think this speaks to the dynamism of downtown Greenville (as well as the fact that the most of the US does not have as restrictive annexation as South Carolina).

Welcome, RickC! Great to have you on board!

Again, it is even better when you take into account that the only "official" reference we have to go by here is the 2000 census - nothing to give a true and accurate representation of the actual amount of traffic we experience everyday in 3rd & 4th quarter 2006. :thumbsup:

Anybody catch the TBA section in this week's Journal? Some interesting stuff in there... :thumbsup:

I'll play spolier today (Journal really needs to go online)...the first two TBAs refer to a major announcement coming within in two months that is on par with RiverPlace as well as hotels being big. You have to give JB credit for only being off by a month and 28 days....expect to hear something about that in the next few days. That's all I'll say on the matter, but what will be announced is "speculative."

Other Tbas dealt with a garbage pick up plan for downtown, public restrooms, another Bloom coming to fruition and city leaders going to a major shopping center complex.

Biz story was on worker accidents.

Entrepreneur was on a guy who sells high-end electronic and his company moving to Greenville.

Other Tbas dealt with a garbage pick up plan for downtown, public restrooms, another Bloom coming to fruition and city leaders going to a major shopping center complex.

They were going to a convention to represent Greenville and try to entice more major retailers to town.

Another thing shown very briefly in the Journal is Historical Markers. According to a photo/caption, a new one has been added to Highway 14 - evidently the first new one in the area in 20 years. The caption hints that area leaders are going to be pushing to get more and more historical markers put up to emphasize our history more. I think this is great. Those historical markers were everywhere I looked when I was in Texas this summer. I'd love to see more of them throughout Greenville. :thumbsup:

Is anyone who has a copy willing to post the actual TBA's? It would be great to read them in their original form to get a better idea of what the rumors are. :)

Ditto.

2006-9-15

TBAs...

Expect to hear an announcement within two months on a downtwon project that some are saying could rival RiverPlace. Now, there are a lot of projects being rumored from downton on pretty much every piece of vacant or underused lot in the city, but at least one group feels they are close to getting the money together for a deal.

Remember two years ago when it seemed everyone with a tower project slated for downtown was looking for a bank to anchor their development? Well, apparently hotels are the hot anchor for 2007 adn several chains are shpping around downtown to locate.

A report on public restrooms may soon make its ways into the hands of city leaders. Many downtown merchants have posted signs in their windows stating restrooms are for custoemrs only.

City officials will be hitting a major conference for shopping centers in the coming weeks. Greenville will have a booth at the event, which is a major player in the industry.

The walls for the Bloom grocery store at Highway 14 and Pelham Road are almost finished. This Food Lion high end chain is quickly making inroads in the Upstate.

Downtown Greenville may soon have a master plan for garbage pick up and recycling. This may not sound that big, but it is important because people have complained that Greenville isn't clean as it was five years ago. Part of this is simply due to more people living and working downtown.

There is an interesting article on the non-decision by the DPC over the proposed residential tower in the West End as well. I have a bad feeling this may never actually happen - but only because of the out-of-control, NIMBY-DPC. They sure do get in the way of positive urban progress at times, and too many refusals could end up in Greenville's losing good developers to eager nearby cities.

Expect to hear an announcement within two months on a downtown project that some are saying could rival RiverPlace. Now, there are a lot of projects being rumored from downton on pretty much every piece of vacant or underused lot in the city, but at least one group feels they are close to getting the money together for a deal.

What can top RiverPlace?

With the development along the river, it would not hurt to expand a few blocks in either direction to become an "anchor".

Assuming it may have some residential, lodging and dining involved, more emphases should be devoted towards retail and entertainment complexes? I.e., spend hours shopping in a Bass Pro Shops, dine from a view high above the Reedy River, and watch a feature film in an IMAX cinema.

I'll play spolier today (Journal really needs to go online)...the first two TBAs refer to a major announcement coming within in two months that is on par with RiverPlace as well as hotels being big. You have to give JB credit for only being off by a month and 28 days....expect to hear something about that in the next few days. That's all I'll say on the matter, but what will be announced is "speculative."

Hmmm... our "speculative" announcements have not worked out too good of late. :unsure:

What can top RiverPlace?

With the development along the river, it would not hurt to expand a few blocks in either direction to become an "anchor".

Assuming it may have some residential, lodging and dining involved, more emphases should be devoted towards retail and entertainment complexes? I.e., spend hours shopping in a Bass Pro Shops, dine from a view high above the Reedy River, and watch a feature film in an IMAX cinema.

Note it doesn't say it will "top Riverplace", just that it will rival it. You ideas are good however. I just hope whatever it is will have some real HEIGHT to it. Riverplace has ended up being low-rise development (still waiting on phase 3). Any ideas where?

I sure hope your right that it's only a couple days away. :thumbsup:

Whatever is going to rival RiverPlace should be one that is a step above and topping it.

Height should be addressed. Instead of having dozens of low-rise towers, why not limit youself to two or three 20+ level towers and have a mid-rise retail/entertainment complex?

A report on public restrooms may soon make its ways into the hands of city leaders. Many downtown merchants have posted signs in their windows stating restrooms are for custoemrs only.

Does anyone think downtown merchants are against having public restrooms downtown? They would rather have people come into their stores and buy things before using their restrooms.

I will venture a guess that this scale project is referring to the redevelopment of the Woolworth/Young Fashions/Bank of America site in conjunction with Bergamo Plaza.

Good guess, and it would make sense now that redoing of the BOFA building has actually started. Wasn't this area the site of a building that GvilleSC hinted at a couple months ago, where he saw a rendering for a 20+ story building (although it didn't get chosen)?

Could it be an announcement on Bob Ellis' other "state's tallest"?

Archived