Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

Come with me to the Rock Hill Galleria or the Manhattan Mall (in NYC) and visit a Steve & Barry's; it is not a desirable tenant and with it and other desirable stores leaving and non-desirable stores coming, Haywood Road could eventually face the same fate as Pleasantburg Drive, which I don't want to see happen.

This is virtually destined to happen IMO. Enclosed malls are old news, everyhting is moving to Woodruff Road. By default that means Haywood is past it's prime. This is how Sprawl works. One day some Woodruff will face the same fate.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Haywood Road becoming the next Pleasantburg Drive- I also see that possibly happening one day, and the early signs of it (e.g., high-end tenants going elsewhere and good tenants leaving and being replaced by B-grade ones) have already started. However, Greenville needs to learn from past mistakes (e.g., letting new sprawl suck life away from old sprawl) to prevent this from happening.

Re: Haywood Road becoming the next Pleasantburg Drive- I also see that possibly happening one day, and the early signs of it (e.g., high-end tenants going elsewhere and good tenants leaving and being replaced by B-grade ones) have already started. However, Greenville needs to learn from past mistakes (e.g., letting new sprawl suck life away from old sprawl) to prevent this from happening.

Yes, Haywood Road has lost some businesses to the Woodruff Road area. Some have added additional locations. Does this mean the end of this corridor? No.

Pleasantburg Drive is undergoing its first phases of revitalization. Its main focuses are higher education (Greenville Technical College Barton Campus, University Center, Bob Jones University), conventions (Palmetto Exposition Center) and aerotransportation (Greenville Downtown Airport).

Laurens Road, still Motor Mile, has Clemson University International Center for Automotive Research and traditional retail returning (Verdae Village Super Bi-Lo).

In between Woodruff Road and Verdae Boulevard is Verdae, a massive residential/retail/office/entertainment community spanning years to realize.

Where does this leave Haywood Road? Businesses located near I-38 will continue to thrive. Much work is needed from Halton Road to Transit Drive where the eastern side remains barren. Its obvious uses can be small strip centers or restaurants. Why not some mid density residences?

For 20-OCT-2006:

TBAs:

The plans for an eight-story tower on Rhett Street will go back to the Design and Preservation Commission on Nov. 2. Some members questioned the height of the building during an August meeting when it was being called a 10-story tower.

Cal it the "BEST effect" if you will, but outsiders are taking notice of the almsot $1 billion spent on school construction in the last few years. At least one giant business prospect is said to be looking here because of the the new schools.

Retial stores keep inching into downtown Greenville and the WEst End. The latest is Go Fish Clothing and Jewelry, a semi-national, Christian-based chain. It has purchased a storefront on Main Street in the West End.

The Chamber of Commerce, Greenville Aera Development Corp., and the city economic development department are looking to hire two people, whose sole job will be to call on new businesses and get them interested in Greenville. It would be a joint effort between the three groups to help lure businesses here. The three are looking for a grant to fund the positions.

Renaissance Place, the mixed-use development on Pleasantburg Drive, will share more than just temporal proximity to Bob Jones University. Apparently, a lot of BJU alumni are purcahsing the condos to be close to the school.

Last week, SCRA announced it gave $150,000 to help bring a company to Charleston that will beta-test products with the Greenville Hospital System. However, there may be some announcements cming about Upstate projects shortly.

Wachovia is moving its mortgage division to a new location near St. Francis Woment's Hospital sometime in the coming months. It is currently located at teh corner of Laurens and Woodruff roads.

Other notes:

Steve and Barry's University Sportswear is coming to Haywood Road's The Gallery in the former Rhodes Furniture.

Here it is.

27-OCT-2006:

TBAs...

The idea of a mass transit hub in Greenville has taken an interesting turn. Most people thought a multi-modal station would go downtown, but now there is serious talk about putting such a hub at the Palmetto Expo Center. That doesn't sound so strange when you consider there is a rail line connecting to Verdae from there and the downtown airport is next door.

The Upstate Alliance has tripled its office space at the Bonaventure II space off Verdae Boulevard. And now the marketing company is looking to sell naiming rights for its office. Think local corporations.

It's been almot two years since the state allowed it, but Greenville still doesn't have an ordinance that handles tattoo parlors. The city, though, will soon look at where such establishments can go. The idea is tno limit tattoo parlors to service districts along Pleasantburg Drive and Laurens Road.

There is a greater demand on secondary roads now with all the development along Interstate 85 going on. One is a call to turn Salters Road into a four-lane throughfare. This is very high on the city's wish list.

The $750,000 federal appropriation for an East Washington Connector has been held up until after the November elections. Maybe one day a boulevard parallel to Intersate 385 between downtown and Pleasantburg Drive actually might happen.

The Discovery Channel will air a documentary on the GE plant in Greenville in early November for a series on "really big machine." The gas turbines are the highlight.

The developers of Pinnacle on Main have met with city engineers this week, so it looks liek this downtown tower project may soon be making some noise. It was announced almost two years ago when several groups were pirching downtown towers.

27-OCT-2006:

The idea of a mass transit hub in Greenville has taken an interesting turn. Most people thought a multi-modal station would go downtown, but now there is serious talk about putting such a hub at the Palmetto Expo Center. That doesn't sound so strange when you consider there is a rail line connecting to Verdae from there and the downtown airport is next door.

I never would have thought about it if it had not been suggested, but I really like the idea of having the multi-modal transit station near the Expo Center. :thumbsup: There would obviously need to be a rail line going from there to downtown, but think of the possibilities if the transit station located at the Expo Center:

- plenty of space to build a proper facility (with room to grow)

- it would really help the Pleasantburg corridor with redevelopment (anyone against sprawl should agree)

- very close to connect to downtown

- adjacent to one of the largest convention centers in the southeast

- adjacent to the downtown airport (as mentioned by John in the TBA)

- fewer underground train routes would need to be built downtown

- easier for buses to get in and out (as opposed to all the traffic and smaller streets downtown)

It might be a tough sell to convince some people that this could work, but I like it! It makes total sense to me, and the idea has me quite excited! Who's with me?

I never would have thought about it if it had not been suggested, but I really like the idea of having the multi-modal transit station near the Expo Center. :thumbsup: There would obviously need to be a rail line going from there to downtown, but think of the possibilities if the transit station located at the Expo Center:

- plenty of space to build a proper facility (with room to grow)

- it would really help the Pleasantburg corridor with redevelopment (anyone against sprawl should agree)

- very close to connect to downtown

- adjacent to one of the largest convention centers in the southeast

- adjacent to the downtown airport (as mentioned by John in the TBA)

- fewer underground train routes would need to be built downtown

- easier for buses to get in and out (as opposed to all the traffic and smaller streets downtown)

It might be a tough sell to convince some people that this could work, but I like it! It makes total sense to me, and the idea has me quite excited! Who's with me?

I'm with you Greenville. I personally would like to see an exit from 385 dedicated to the station/Expo Center rather than having to get onto Pleasantburg.

I'm with you Greenville. I personally would like to see an exit from 385 dedicated to the station/Expo Center rather than having to get onto Pleasantburg.

I agree as well. Everyone should note as well that the Greenville Downtown Airport is the state's busiest corporate airport. The addition of a dedicated interchange at I-385 would benefit all of these places. :thumbsup:

Which existing site would be the most feasible for this hub? The southwesten corner of North Pleasantburg and Keith drives is vacant and backs along the railroad.

There's also a mention of the East Washington Street connector to North Pleasantburg. This should be built at the same time. The corridor mast also extend farther eastward to Haywood Road. Imagine a four lane boulevard from the eastern reaches of Cleveland Park to a major retail district with a tree lined median (excluding the Greenville Downtown Airpot runway area). Woods Crossing/Congaree roads would be widened to five lanes from Old Airport to Roper Mountain roads to improve traffic efficiency.

I'm with y'all too. This really is an ideal spot. I kept thinking an area around 85 if it wasn't going to be downtown, but this is definitely where it needs to be.

This should become an urban area in itself. I'd love to see the transportation center built, followed by a lot of dense housing and businesses. Imagine the possibilities... I hope this does gain speed very soon. It needs to be done right, but I also want it to happen soon :rolleyes:

The more I think about that location, the more sense it makes. The airport, PEC, Gville Tech. And with this locations proximity to DT, it could be the type development that could realy expand DT and incorporate other parts of the city with DT success. You never know the after effects of something like that (aka West End Feild). It would need to have plenty of routes to DT, and to different locations, plur routhes to the malls, ICAR, GSP, etc.

TBA for 11/3

** A national chef with a TV show is looking at DT for a restaurant location.

** Keep hearing that the County Square/Gville Mall land swap is almost a done deal. Of course sometimes done deals get undone...

** The Chamber has launched a new program called Talking Green. The forum will provide participants with tools to differiate their businesses from others while contributing to quality of life in the community

** Details are vague, but there is talk of another shopping center along Wade HamptonBlvd. The word around town is the shopping center could be inside city limits.

** Upstate Alliance is looking to add a new member around the first of the year.

** More pressure being felt for work to start on Meadowbrook Park, the city's concept for 250 acres of land west along the Reedy River.

Articles on COnestee Park opening, new voting machines, Festival of Trees, Expo Center multimodal hub (rapid bus system on a exclusive route), Camperdown project ( new loan in place), Wind Tunnel at ICAR, and Election Guide

ICAR dates:

Feb '07 -- Parking facility done

March '07 -- Campbell building complete

April '07 -- Plaza done

Summer '07 -- Campbell building occupied.

What is this about the Camperdown? Can someone elaborate on the tease???

Basically the article goes through the reasons why it has yet to start. One was that the Developer had some damages from Katrina that diverted their attention. There original loan expired due to the delays, but they have a new one in place. They had reservations for 50% of the units at one time, but as time dragged on, they lost some. The relator and developer claim they still plan to proceed.

Personally, I have doubts... seeing is believing at this point.

One of the most important interest to have and keep in a project is the developer's. They can make others get excited about something and they are the ones driving the project. So I think it's positive for the realtor and the developer to still be pushing the project...

TBA for 11/3

** A national chef with a TV show is looking at DT for a restaurant location.

** Keep hearing that the County Square/Gville Mall land swap is almost a done deal. Of course sometimes done deals get undone...

** The Chamber has launched a new program called Talking Green. The forum will provide participants with tools to differiate their businesses from others while contributing to quality of life in the community

** Details are vague, but there is talk of another shopping center along Wade HamptonBlvd. The word around town is the shopping center could be inside city limits.

** Upstate Alliance is looking to add a new member around the first of the year.

** More pressure being felt for work to start on Meadowbrook Park, the city's concept for 250 acres of land west along the Reedy River.

Anybody who knows the TV chefs from the Upstate can probably guess who the Chef is.

Also, the Wade Hampton Shopping center mentioned is probably Wade Hampton at St. Marks Rd. I have the site plan in my office. They have asked to be annexed in to Greer because of the Taylors sewer moratorium.

Archived