North Gulch Gateway, (Tennessean site) Phase II: Gulch Central (41 story residential/hotel, 28 story office, 6 story mixed-use); Phase I: Asurion HQ (10 & 11 stories)

markhollin

I have mixed feelings about that shot.  On the one hand it was the home of some great journalists and for decades a faithful record of the city was churned out by two papers competing for readers and working to get the scoop.  But the current product is so pitiful I almost am glad to see the buildings go so the ghosts of Seigenthaler and others will not have to watch what became of Nashville newspapering.  Definitely the end of an era.

image.png.8a5e089b1f23695d97022ceb3de94a00.png

• Like 3

They are getting ready to demo the stair from the Gulch to Church Street too. This makes it very hard for pedestrians now as the sidewalk is closed on the otherside and there are signs on both sides directing pedestrians to cross a very busy street with no crosswalk. Hello law law suit Metro. What bonehead figured out this move.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

43 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

I wish the demolition happened just prior to new construction. I am afraid we could have vacant land on Broadway for a while...

Highwoods is a very prominent development company. They shouldn't have problems getting financing or tenants. It wouldn't surprise me if they already have tenants.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

They are getting ready to demo the stair from the Gulch to Church Street too. This makes it very hard for pedestrians now as the sidewalk is closed on the otherside and there are signs on both sides directing pedestrians to cross a very busy street with no crosswalk. Hello law law suit Metro. What bonehead figured out this move.

I wonder why they would demo the Church St. viaduct stair.   The stair doesn’t seem to be in the construction footprint, at least for now.   

Agree that rerouted  pedestrian crossing of 11th under the viaduct is a frogger nightmare.     Pedestrians are hidden behind the construction barrier until they peek out to cross and then, look out!    They really need to address that.    There are way too many pedestrians, cyclists and scooters trying to use what’s left of the Gulch Greenway.    

Thats the problem Bob, they have the sidewalk closed on that side of the street, so you have to cross Church with no crosswalk , like the drivers stop for you anyway, but its dangerous as heck trying to cross the street.

North side of Church sidewalk closed.

South side of Church stairs closed.

Both sides of Church Morons in charge of closing pedestrian access.

My question is what are they going to do when they take down the rest of the Tennessean building close to 11th as that is really close to the stret and the sidewalk is barely open through there now. I guess Metro will not want people walking from the North Gulch to the South Gulch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/19/2019 at 8:37 PM, chris holman said:

Does anyone know what this structure  Represents

SmartSelect_20190919-203312_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20190919-203351_Chrome.jpg

On 9/19/2019 at 8:51 PM, MLBrumby said:

I've seen similar around major building sites. I believe it shows the materials and how they fit together. A model for the overall building. There's one at the Vandy dorms site. 

Correct, @MLBrumby. This is a wall mockup. this highlights the materials (or other custom items such as lighting) used on the exterior of the building to do a number of things. 1) it helps the design team communicate a realistic look of the materials chosen (beyond a nice render), 2) It allows material representatives be on site to teach the contractor how to install either a new product or maybe a complicated project. 3) Intricate detailing (like integrating lighting into a facade) can be tested out to ensure the contractor is aware of design intent and understand what the final product is supposed to look like.

These mockups are essential, but unfortunately cost money and considered un-sustainable. While the information is very valuable, many times the mockups are trashed at the end of construction. Also, depending on the project, a mock up could be very very expensive (I've had a contractor mention a $1 million mockup before).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2