North Gulch Gateway, (Tennessean site) Phase II: Gulch Central (41 story residential/hotel, 28 story office, 6 story mixed-use); Phase I: Asurion HQ (10 & 11 stories)

markhollin

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

20190523_105552.jpg

I saw these the other day, and thought maybe they were somehow connected to the Asurion construction zone.    If that were the case, it would be an odd placement of the barriers.    It's still an odd placement if that whole wall is to eventually come down.    But, will be interested to see what is brewing for the Tennessean site.   

21 hours ago, CenterHill said:

If that were the case, it would be an odd placement of the barriers.    It's still an odd placement if that whole wall is to eventually come down.

TDEC just makes you place perimeter control prior to beginning construction as part of your SWPPP, even if said perimeter control doesn't serve a functional purpose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, WebberThomas4 said:

Demoltion permit for the old Tennessean building at 1100 Broadway.  I suspect it will take them a couple of weeks to get it issued.

https://epermits.nashville.gov/#/permit/3677315?initial=1&searchType=permit&orderBy=fullAddress ASC,permitNumber ASC&searchText=&page=1&searchCode=ADDR 

It was in the this notes story from the Post yesterday.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21071874/images-released-for-edgehill-residential-building

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rjgo said:

Barricades going up for demo of Tennessean building. Not sure how I’ll be walking to work now that the sidewalks will be closed on both side of 12th Ave between this and Endeavor across the street??

Side note: is there a separate thread to differentiate the Tennessean building site from the asurion headquarters?

9DD49174-2EFB-445C-A382-1204D40EBB04.jpeg

So it's going to be an empty lot for two years, right? Due to the logistical nightmare it would cause or something along those lines, or was it a different project that I might be confusing?

1 minute ago, OnePointEast said:

So it's going to be an empty lot for two years, right? Due to the logistical nightmare it would cause or something along those lines, or was it a different project that I might be confusing?

Yes they do not plan to build here for a few years. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, OnePointEast said:

Is it a valid argument for not building or is it that the buyer just doesn't want to make the jump just yet?

It is definitely a valid argument considering all of the activity in this area from Endeavor, Asurion, Grand Hyatt, and even the Pins Mechanical warehouse build-out. I live right there in the Gossett and it has become a nightmare between all of the construction equipment, road closures, construction workers taking up all of the street parking, etc. Now that the sidewalk is closed on both sides of 12th from Porter to Broadway, my walk to work has to be tripled in length.  I hope they at least wait until Endeavor is finished to get going on this one.

But I do know that the buyer (Highwoods) is waiting for more than just that reason. I'm sure they're wanting to make more significant progress on Asurion across the street before they go full steam on this,

Edited by rjgo
  • Like 2

The demo permit for The Tennessean building at 1100 Broadway is $1.3 million.  Hendersonville Environmental Abatement will handle the razing, and will get underway within 30 days.  The structure will be clawed and not imploded.  When finished, the lot may be utilized for surface parking in the short term before future development plans (still unannounced) get underway.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/construction/article/21072851/demo-looks-for-extennessean-building

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 3.09.23 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Not the prettiest building (by any measure) but there's a lot of history in that building. The 1980s 'renovation' was simply gawd-awful. And the only thing I like less than vacant buildings downtown is a surface parking lot where an old building used to be. Sure would feel better if Highwoods would release a proposal now at the very least. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, markhollin said:

The demo permit for The Tennessean building at 1100 Broadway is $1.3 million.  Hendersonville Environmental Abatement will handle the razing, and will get underway within 30 days.  The structure will be clawed and not imploded.  When finished, the lot may be utilized for surface parking in the short term before future development plans (still unannounced) get underway.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/construction/article/21072851/demo-looks-for-extennessean-building

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 3.09.23 PM.png

I'll pour one out for journalism when she goes down.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I moved to Nashville in 2007 for a job in that building. Back then, the entire building was bustling and full of energy. By the time I left in 2017, it was a depressing, half-empty shell of what it had been.

So yes, that building had a lot of great, historic moments, but few of them in recent years.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, titanhog said:

I kinda miss the days of waiting on the newspaper and reading it from front to back and finding the little nuggets of info.  But...think of all the paper we're saving by not printing billions of papers a day around the world.   I hate that journalism has changed so much (now it seems to be a race against the clock to be the first to report something, whether it's true or not)...but also like that we're able to learn about what's going on in almost an instant with the internet.

There are a few outlets that I support with a monthly recurring donation, as I've long thought the lack of funding is wreaking havoc on the state of journalism, and especially investigative reporting.

• Like 1