CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

https://www.governing.com/transportation/transit-funding-minnesota-budget-metro-gas-tax

Mass Transit about to get a huge boost in funding in Minnesota; an additional $450M/year. It includes changes to gas taxes, a new interjurisdictional commissions, etc. 

“The agency has been underfunded for so long that the ability to think big has just been squashed. They haven’t had the resources to be able to deliver on a big vision, so in a way, why waste the time creating it? We now have a completely different paradigm, and we need to make sure that the transit agency feels empowered to go big,” Rockwell says.”

Funding, obviously, is probably the root of our complaints for CATS. Though unfortunately, I don’t see that happening soon due to the NC GOP. Leaving us to fight over Pennies.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

CBJ had a nice story on the current Council views of the mobility plan. TLDR: we are going nowhere and expect to see any increased sales tax to mostly go to roads (I thought that was what gas tax was for?)  and expect bike infrastructure to stagnate or shrink.

Three years after it was unveiled by city leaders, the plan currently has the unequivocal support of five of 11 Charlotte City Council members and Mayor Vi Lyles. Four council members told CBJ they do not support the plan; two more say they support it if adjustments can be made to the mix of projects, which would in the end be a different plan.

All agree there’s little chance of advancing its key funding mechanism — an additional 1 cent sales tax that requires state legislative approval — until the city gets its existing transit system in order.

That is where the consensus ends.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/06/08/charlotte-area-transit-system-light-rail-roads.html

Edited by kermit
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, RANYC said:

Please send this link to City Council, CDOT, NCDOT, and the State Legislature.  Also, did anyone from the State Legislature get invited to the CNU?  Might have been a worthy attempt at outreach to invite them along.

I loved what the writer said about how Charlotte's transit line creates warm & inviting interactions for transit riders through its integrations with the adjacent built environment.  He's right, there's something appealing about segregating the rail experience from cars.  Sadly, as I read many of the points he made, it made me increasingly bearish about extending the Gold Line. Instead we may want to focus on rail segregation from car traffic.  It's the same reason the greenways should be a priority - and frankly, I believe we may need wider greenways to accommodate both walkers/jogger, mechanical bikes and e-bikes.

Agreed we do need rail that is segregated and grade-separated as well.  It's the only way to further create  such an experience

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DCMetroRaleigh said:

He needs to stick to topics he knows. Like group sex.

How does he think cars became more popular…?? or does he think cars have always existed…wouldn’t put it past him after he said that about bike infrastructure.

My paternal grandparents (b. 1869 and 1871) married in 1895 in Indianapolis where their families had moved a few years before from other locations to the thriving industrial city. 1890's were a time of bicycle craze:

https://www.si.edu/stories/19th-century-bicycle-craze

For their honeymoon they cycled from Indianapolis to Madison, In*, the birthplace of my grandfather and where his extended family lived. It is today ~90 miles. More about this I do not know. 

There was a time when bicycles were king and motor vehicles were the uncommon and disfavored method of transport.

(Perhaps you had an adventurous honeymoon. Would you attempt this on the bicycles of that time and not those of today?)

*This is not the place to describe it but if you have any interest in visiting the 1890's today it can be done in Madison, Indiana. It has not changed and has been protected and preserved for quite some time once the residents realized what they had.

edit: NONE of my four grandparents ever drove a car. My maternal grandfather was a farmer and in later years operated a Ford tractor. That was it. I knew all these people though my paternal G-father died when I was three so my memory of him is from the comments of other family members and photos of he and I together. 

Edited by videtur quam contuor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2023 at 6:33 PM, AirNostrumMAD said:

Currently, 94% of transit funding goes to highways in NC. The NC Democrats want to change that to require 20% of transit funding go to non-highway projects. Particularly. They stress that there’s no one-size-fits-all approach and that urban areas need more investment in mass transit, bike lanes and alternative forms of transportation as the grow and densify. 

94% of all funding goes to highways, but the best they could muster for I-77 was adding toll lanes built by a sketchy overseas company while also eliminating HOV lanes too????

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, CltFlyer said:

94% of all funding goes to highways, but the best they could muster for I-77 was adding toll lanes built by a sketchy overseas company while also eliminating HOV lanes too????

I am still puzzled as to why we don't have HOV lanes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2023 at 10:48 AM, southslider said:

The express lanes are open to HOV 3+ for free (NC Quick Pass transponder set to HOV), plus motorcycles and CATS Buses

This still doesn't fix the REST of charlotte though. Why doesn't 85 or the rest of 77 south have HOV lanes?