CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

23 minutes ago, kermit said:

yea, I am not sure about that. The A, B, G and N lines use traditional heavy rail equipment, on traditional heavy rail tracks, operate tracks occasionally used by freight  (Union Station throat) and are regulated by the FRA rather than the FTA.

FRA regulates commuter rail infrastructure because they don't operate as regular mass transit rather as a short-distance passenger railway service due to the usage & sharing trackage with Class A railway infrastructure rather railway regulated by FTA. True heavy rail is regulated by FTA hence why the classification of LIRR operated NYC MTA is considered hybrid because it uses heavy rail infrastructure but operates like a commuter rail. Similar to the East Bay & cross bay rail lines within the BART system in the San Francisco Bay Area. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

On 9/29/2023 at 1:39 AM, ajfunder said:

As a resident of Denver (I live on the G Line) and a professional railroader, RTD’s A, B, G, and N lines are FRA regulated commuter rail but definitely not a form of light rail. Unlike light rail, the commuter lines in the RTD network have to adhere to all FRA requirements including PTC and other FRA mandated training qualifications including using certified, FRA qualified engineers. 

People commonly call  the commuter rail lines the light rail, but it is  quite different from an operations, technology, and transportation perspective when compared to the rest of RTD’s actual light rail system. It functions much closer to a heavy rail system (it is technically connected to the national rail network sharing switches at DUS with Amtrak) and from a regulation standpoint is a completely different category than light rail.  

Ironically, I've spent the last several days in another state with officials from FTA & FRA both on a peer exchange and training for the Charlotte region. Also, I had a chance to ask them myself face to face what is the RTD A-Line classified as modal type.

Both entities' officials said it's a hybrid rail like the LIRR, but it's not considered heavy rail at all.  It does function more like the rest of the RTD light rail mode although the infrastructure is regulated by FRA on that portion.

Edited by kayman
  • Thanks 2

Montréal new REM driverless train was discussed up thread and I was there for eight days. This is the sign that entertainingly described the project for passersby. "Giants seen near the future stations" meaning equipment. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5807de664fea351d70f40f80fac30446.jpeg

At McGill and St Catherine the cut has been nearly covered and I took a short video. This is one of the busiest intersections normally and with construction traffic, pedestrians on a weekend, I had to dance to keep the camera pointed while out of the way of everything.

https://youtube.com/shorts/rhFu5a3Oz6U?si=jMcQzWBk2Ym6j5Ja

Dropping stones into a hole to use somewhere below for ballast as the construction worker told me. EDIT: how could I have forgotten this. Note the mountain in the background of the video

This station will be one of the deepest in the world: Édouard Monpétit*

https://rem.info/en/travelling/stations/edouard-montpetit

The site above has much more information in English

Below ground a passageway across the work space shows the appearance of the future lower level REM access.

233F2EA2-34FC-4D2F-8199-D92EBBFB70B3_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.6475eac0b34dd6c3f2ba32b1bb261ad2.jpeg

The train will use a 100 year old tunnel through Mount Royal updated and improved for this service.

*God help those travelers when the escalators fail

Edited by videtur quam contuor
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

Wait, I was told redline would never happen!

It will be a miracle if the red line in the form of rail gets built. And without the Feds. What are the opportunity cost of committing to the red line vs. another light rail line that would likely have way higher ridership & potential to earn hundreds of millions in federal dollars. 

Edit: but maybe if it improves Amtrak stuff, Amtrak could step in and provide funding. I dunno - the railroad smarty pants we have here would have to weigh in on that. 

From the article:

Even if the city can win permission to use the tracks for the Red Line — which is far from certain — the strategy for the larger transit plan still faces challenges:

• Republican leaders in the General Assembly have been skeptical and have said Charlotte should focus primarily on road-building.

• After revelations of troubles at the Charlotte Area Transit System, voters might not be willing to hand it more money and power.

• The federal government might be pulling back on funding: Raleigh’s mayor said this year that the Federal Transit Administration told Triangle officials that it is “no longer funding commuter rail.” The FTA has said it doesn’t favor one type of transportation over another and considers cost, ridership, economic impact and other factors in funding decisions. [Edited 10/18/23 at 11:50 a.m. to reflect FTA position on transit funding]

• Work and commuting patterns have shifted substantially since the Red Line was first envisioned, especially post-Covid. The North Mecklenburg Express bus, which carried 17,000 passengers on the north-to-south route in April 2011, carried just an estimated 5,100 passengers in April 2023, a decline of 70%. Is there still sufficient demand for transit between Charlotte and north Mecklenburg?

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

I am just curious if anyone is excited at all about the possibility of the Red Line being back on the possibility list? One of the things that enticed me into moving to the lake area was talk of the Red Line operations which was being planned at the time. The hold up was Norfolk Southern which is now ready to talk. We really need to take this seriously and build it. The area isn't getting any smaller nor is the traffic situation. I hope this is seriously pushed. I doubt if the Charlotte City Council much gives a rats arse, but thousands of us others do 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Not excited yet but close. I’ll be more excited once public officials have time to opine. And I’ll be officially once  they start discussing plans again. 

The interesting thing this time versus in the past is NC potentially buying it which even without plans they should just buy it. Railroad people here will know but… if Amtrak is going to use this portion of the rail road… why not just make it light rail (or heavy light rail)? Maybe it could even be more quick to build than the silver line? 

NC purchasing the tracks provides a way of funding without using existing funding sources for transportation projects. If NC can just purchase it, then maybe it could cut down the cost of the silver line (with the transaction of purchasing the tracks coming from another pot of money) and just build light rail along it. Silver line will have no tracks to follow. I dunno. I could just be so off the mark because again, rail road stuff is not my strong point. 

But the corridor looks so promising. 

IMG_2044.thumb.webp.dc7ad011911267c7d0ea6ed7c72bf145.webp

It would be cool if it were heavy light rail. Would be more spacious and comfortable to (which would be a selling point for the LKN type).

Maybe I’m more excited than I realize? Lol.

And heavy rail would have a bar probably. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

The interesting thing this time versus in the past is NC potentially buying it which even without plans they should just buy it. Railroad people here will know but… if Amtrak is going to use this portion of the rail road… why not just make it light rail (or heavy light rail)? Maybe it could even be more quick to build than the silver line?

NC purchasing the tracks provides a way of funding without using existing funding sources for transportation projects. If NC can just purchase it, then maybe it could cut down the cost of the red line (with the transaction of purchasing the tracks coming from another pot of money) and just build light rail along it. Silver line will have no tracks to follow. I dunno. I could just be so off the mark because again, rail road stuff is not my strong point.

I don't think that would be very feasible since the current line is single-tracked basically the entire way from Charlotte to Mooresville, and much of the ROW is very narrow.  I'm sure it can be upgraded to become a regional route up to Mooresville, or an Amtrak line to Winston-Salem, but I'm struggling to see how it could be both at the same time.  At least without a truly wild amount of acquisition, demolition, and construction to widen the ROW.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

That would be a bummer if it couldn’t be doubled tracked.

Look how narrow it is along most of N Graham St, up along Derita Ave, through Huntersville and Cornelius and Davidson, etc.  As someone who isn't a railroad nerd I'd be curious to know if it would be possible to double track through those areas as they are now, and still meet the necessary minimum setbacks.  If not then I mean yeah it's still possible but from my perspective would seem astronomically expensive and very destructive through established areas.

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, nicholas said:

Look how narrow it is along most of N Graham St, up along Derita Ave, through Huntersville and Cornelius and Davidson, etc.  As someone who isn't a railroad nerd I'd be curious to know if it would be possible to double track through those areas as they are now, and still meet the necessary minimum setbacks.  If not then I mean yeah it's still possible but from my perspective would seem astronomically expensive and very destructive through established areas.

There was a study on adding more tracks...

Evaluation of the Impacts of the Norfolk Southern Passenger Rail Policy on the LYNX Red Line Corridor

• Like 2