CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

the CATS' app real time tracking for the Blue line has been super unreliable lately.....

While I am not a fare enforcement stickler, I will also say I am tired of the fare checkers letting riders get away with buying a fare on CATS app when they see the inspectors board the train. (inspectors could use the countdown timer on the app to call people out on this)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I was in Fargo, ND & Minneapolis. Great cities, loved them both a ton. 
Minneapolis reinforced the preference of blue and silver in Charlotte interlining. I always liked the idea of interlining the Blue & Silver Line in Charlotte in uptown and preferably I’d say interline through SouthEnd to New Bern. I hope CATS chooses the interlining option for Silver. 

I used the T/Metro in Minneapolis several times throughout the core and the frequency was good enough to use as hop-on/hop-off. It was always rolling up within a few minutes and the GPS arrive times were seemingly accurate. 
7508F1EE-9DD7-4D25-A4C8-974CC55E59CD.thumb.jpeg.af7bee1bd3144ad13eb823dd2a6f32ce.jpeg

SouthEnd through Uptown should have 10 minute or less frequency all day every day. But the further out station and park & ride lots don’t need the service the urban core does. 15 minute frequencies from Matthews, UNC & 485 stations would make 7 minute or So frequencies in the core. 
As far as the airport, I would like to  see a light rail (hypothetically call it the Green Line) share tracks with the gold line from Gateway to CTC. At Gateway, a hypothetical green line would run parallel to the train tracks to Morehead, hit the Pipe & Foundry lots then into Wilkinson. 
That would also give Gateway - CTC more frequency. 

I mean. That’s what I think is realistic for Charlotte to achieve in its next transit step given the political environment of NC. I’d want HRT in a perfect world and underground in the core otherwise but. Ain’t happening. 

I wonder if it would even be possible to have an augmented Blue Line Service operate between New Bern to Old Concord. Maybe even call it a different color line to give more frequency to the core and less frequency further north and south of the core? That could be a cost effective way to appeal to users in the urban core who need more frequency while adapting to a post pandemic world with softer commuter demand (and suburbanites going to special events, etc probabky don’t mind 15 minute frequencies like those in the core)

How is the weather at my old stomping grounds? I do remember when they built the first line that went from the airport to downtown, I definitely thought of it as a tourist attraction then - but the convenience definitely changed the area substantially!
  • Like 2

On 3/12/2023 at 1:08 AM, AirNostrumMAD said:

I was in Fargo, ND & Minneapolis. Great cities, loved them both a ton. 

Minneapolis reinforced the preference of blue and silver in Charlotte interlining. I always liked the idea of interlining the Blue & Silver Line in Charlotte in uptown and preferably I’d say interline through SouthEnd to New Bern. I hope CATS chooses the interlining option for Silver. 

I used the T/Metro in Minneapolis several times throughout the core and the frequency was good enough to use as hop-on/hop-off. It was always rolling up within a few minutes and the GPS arrive times were seemingly accurate. 

7508F1EE-9DD7-4D25-A4C8-974CC55E59CD.thumb.jpeg.af7bee1bd3144ad13eb823dd2a6f32ce.jpeg

SouthEnd through Uptown should have 10 minute or less frequency all day every day. But the further out station and park & ride lots don’t need the service the urban core does. 15 minute frequencies from Matthews, UNC & 485 stations would make 7 minute or So frequencies in the core. 

As far as the airport, I would like to  see a light rail (hypothetically call it the Green Line) share tracks with the gold line from Gateway to CTC. At Gateway, a hypothetical green line would run parallel to the train tracks to Morehead, hit the Pipe & Foundry lots then into Wilkinson. 

That would also give Gateway - CTC more frequency. 

I mean. That’s what I think is realistic for Charlotte to achieve in its next transit step given the political environment of NC. I’d want HRT in a perfect world and underground in the core otherwise but. Ain’t happening. 

I wonder if it would even be possible to have an augmented Blue Line Service operate between New Bern to Old Concord. Maybe even call it a different color line to give more frequency to the core and less frequency further north and south of the core? That could be a cost effective way to appeal to users in the urban core who need more frequency while adapting to a post pandemic world with softer commuter demand (and suburbanites going to special events, etc probabky don’t mind 15 minute frequencies like those in the core)

The interlinking concept is dead as a doornail.  CATS has a better chance of amending the LYNX Silver Line LPA to utilize the Norfolk-Southern right-of-way into the CLT Airport parking structure adjacent to the main terminal entrance than interlinking anything with the LYNX Blue Line or CityLYNX Gold Line.  TBH, I would welcome the LPA change following the N-S right-of-way to be closer to the CLT Airport terminal.

Edited by kayman
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

So it was snowy. But oddly the cold in Fargo & Minneapolis didn’t seem that cold because It was super dry. I never seen so much snow. Stayed at the Westin in downtown Minneapolis, and encountered my new favorite coffee place, Backstory Coffee, in the Warehouse District. I was *super* impressed with Minneapolis. I actually miss it and want to re-visit, ha. I wouldn’t mind living in Minneapolis. The Light Rail definitely made getting around pretty easy. 

Yeah, I agree. Would like to visit when it isn't so cold, but there was a lot to really like about Minneapolis. Rail is really well laid out serving all 5 major league stadiums/arenas, the airport, Mall of America, and both downtown cores. Some decently preserved architecture gives it an older and bigger feel than a city like Charlotte.

• Like 3

In Fargo there was like 3 feet of snow and had to go to Minneapolis where it too snowed. So it was snowy. But oddly the cold in Fargo & Minneapolis didn’t seem that cold because It was super dry. I never seen so much snow. Stayed at the Westin in downtown Minneapolis, and encountered my new favorite coffee place, Backstory Coffee, in the Warehouse District. I was *super* impressed with Minneapolis. I actually miss it and want to re-visit, ha. I wouldn’t mind living in Minneapolis. The Light Rail definitely made getting around pretty easy. 
It’s off topic other than the fact that frequency matters. Come on CATS. We need more frequency. 
Luckily last time I was in Charlotte in October on a weekend, I waited less than 5 minutes for the train both to and from. I brought someone who has never been to the south outside of NoVa and I tried to avoid Lynx because I didn’t want a short visit to be hampered with waiting 20 minutes between trains. Had it been a reliable 12 minutes or less, I may have exclusively used light rail. But I had to be a good host and zoom around my favorite things in the city. 

It really is a nice city! If it wasn’t for the terrible winters, it would have been a lot harder to move away (I have a really hard time with the cold). I do credit a lot of my love for density as well as skyscrapers from Minneapolis. I do miss the skyway system and hanging out in the Crystal Court at the IDS tower.
Yeah, I agree. Would like to visit when it isn't so cold, but there was a lot to really like about Minneapolis. Rail is really well laid out serving all 5 major league stadiums/arenas, the airport, Mall of America, and both downtown cores. Some decently preserved architecture gives it an older and bigger feel than a city like Charlotte.

Definitely visit it in the summer! I have always loved the older architecture and buildings there. One of the buildings I have gone up in a handful of times is the Foshay tower; the lobby leading up to the elevators is quite stunning!

All that to say, both the green line and the blue line were pretty reliable and the routes made sense. I was briefly a part of the (ongoing) efforts to extend the green line, which the route made less sense to me and there seemed to be many complications with construction…
  • Like 3

On 3/15/2023 at 12:12 AM, DJ8hep said:

Definitely visit it in the summer! I have always loved the older architecture and buildings there. One of the buildings I have gone up in a handful of times is the Foshay tower; the lobby leading up to the elevators is quite stunning!

Yeah, we didn't go up but did have a dinner at Manny's which is connected with the lobby bar of the W there. Nice place, one of the top meals I've had.

Edited by Desert Power
  • Like 1

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/hawthorne-lane-bridge-contractor-sues-city-charlotte-115m/KM4WEX7QDJFBBINBXGZEED2OGE/

More proof CATS shouldn't be a part of the City of Charlotte. CoC is occurring more and more liabilities of CATS staff while the confusion of the board oversight structure of the MTC AND the CoC City Council can both initiate termination procedures of the CATS CEO and other staffers. 

4532001-charlotte-catsreview-presentation(1).pdf

It just shows that until this set of untangled cords are streamlined then it's going to be a continuation of business as usual.  Charlotte should just cut its losses and spin off CATS.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, davidclt said:

I live in this city and I'm a user (victim?) of CATS' services.

Holy crap, did she really say "victim"? If so I tip my hat to her.

Also very glad to hear her say that we have crapty transit because we choose to have crapty transit.

Is this the sound of CATS (and transit planning in Charlotte) hitting bottom?

EDIT: aww man (davidclt was paraphrasing)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, kermit said:

Holy crap, did she really say "victim"? If so I tip my hat to her.

Also very glad to hear her say that we have crapty transit because we choose to have crapty transit.

Is this the sound of CATS (and transit planning in Charlotte) hitting bottom?

Those were my words. She was defensive about Mike Collins' questions.

• Like 1

Charlotte Mayor Vi Lyles said this during her statement :

“While this agreement outlines the roles and responsibilities of the MTC, the City of Charlotte and the Charlotte City Council, there is overlap and a lack of clarity,” the mayor said. “We’ve grown beyond our current county-wide effort, and perhaps it’s time to look at a regional authority with more direct responsibility.

Charlotte mayor addresses CATS issues; MTC to discuss derailment

Interview with WFAE yesterday: https://www.wfae.org/show/charlotte-talks-with-mike-collins/2023-03-21/mayor-vi-lyles-discusses-cats-derailment-revelation-transparency-arts-funding-crime-council-term-lengths-and-more

It's time for a regional public transit authority to run CATS... 

Edited by kayman
  • Like 1