CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, CLT Development said:

To me, because of Charlotte's complete and total lack of a grid (5% of the city is laid out in a grid) you cannot satisfactorily service the entire city with transit without utilizing rail. We should prioritize rail/brt in high capacity areas, and feed out to nearby neighborhoods with micro transit and buses that feed the rail transit/BRT. I recently moved from the Planning Committee to the Zoning Committee, as part o the Charlotte Mecklenburg Planning Commission and so I regularly look at projects now under the guise of "how far is the bus/train." and in a lot of cases its not that far, but when you look at the route, and how serpentine the routes have to be, its no wonder that there's so many problems with delays and usage. It makes more sense to make investments in to BRT, LRT, last mile connections and micro transit. Here are two sample routes in the University Area. 

image.png.385257516e9174fc24451c2c559470db.pngimage.png.888c9d876470cbc332d7fbffd4ef281b.png

Agree with much of this but may miss your main point? I'm probably being dense but why does a lack of grid prevent great bus service? Is it that walking distance due to tortuous suburban streets with no connections between them means a lot more buses? I can't hardly imagine the number of buses we could throw at the problem for the price of another lrt track. Is that wrong ? 

We need to advocate for a system where one can live without a car. Our current system has not done that for most. Focus is Park and ride? - (I don't have numbers to back that up just personal observations)

One thing that seems almost certain is that where ever light rail is it'll eventually gentrify and not serve our most needy residents. I know that's good for the wealthy and hopefully for density but is it really the priority? I've never read studies on this but even reading this thread much of the excitement is about development along the line and not about moving people. I think given the inevitable scarcity of rail in the near future this is baked in. One of many reasons I'm starting to think we need to shift resources to busses and brt. 

An aside: Who ever is confused by my prior post why don't you ask a question or point out the issues with it? It's "mildly infuriating"  to let people be fan boys and just use the emoticons anon whenever a comment doesn't reflect their party line. No idea if that's the case here but get a lot of that for any contrarian posts. 

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

This decision has major implications for Charlotte's transit planning.  Maybe we need to do a lot more Bus Rapid Transit as the FTA suggests.  Concerning the Triangle's commuter rail but see what the Feds are saying.  I would say the any thought of the Red line is dead on arrival. 

https://www.axios.com/local/raleigh/2023/07/26/raleigh-durham-commuter-rail-faces-bleak-funding-outlook

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

This decision has major implications for Charlotte's transit planning.  Maybe we need to do a lot more Bus Rapid Transit as the FTA suggests.  Concerning the Triangle's commuter rail but see what the Feds are saying.  I would say the any thought of the Red line is dead on arrival. 

https://www.axios.com/local/raleigh/2023/07/26/raleigh-durham-commuter-rail-faces-bleak-funding-outlook

I was just about to mention that - I’m guessing that all rail is now on the federal budget chopping block because of the cost, regardless of future ridership?  Can we just extend the Blueline and then establish a BRT System.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I was just about to mention that - I’m guessing that all rail is now on the federal budget chopping block because of the cost, regardless of future ridership?  Can we just extend the Blueline and then establish a BRT System.

Federal dollars are flowing for rail transit more than in many decades.

My uneducated/lazy guess is the rail project wasn’t that competitive. How much money from the feds vs. NC/Local for … a couple thousand commuters (in a world of hybrid work at that) during the weekday for $3.2 Billion? And likely 0 on the weekend. 

You could build the silver line with an uptown tunnel & go right up to the airport with 30,000+ riders a day for that money. Vs. 1,400 or however many a weekday their commuter rail would garner. 

I think I remember Pete Buttigieg back when the Infrastructure Bill passed said they rather give out fewer but bigger awards to fund transformational and projects that make a large impact rather than smaller awards to more places that would have less impact, or only be able to pay for studies, etc.  So it wouldn’t be surprising to me for a M-F commuter rail on a hybrid world where the job center is more sprawling than your typical office park. It’s not like it’s Ballantyne. RTP is colossally auto-dependent - especially for commuter rail - and makes Ballantyne look like a dense urban oasis.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Federal dollars are flowing for rail transit more than in many decades.

My uneducated/lazy guess is the rail project wasn’t that competitive. How much money from the feds vs. NC/Local for … a couple thousand commuters (in a world of hybrid work at that) during the weekday for $3.2 Billion? And likely 0 on the weekend. 

You could build the silver line with an uptown tunnel & go right up to the airport with 30,000+ riders a day for that money. Vs. 1,400 or however many a weekday their commuter rail would garner. 

I think I remember Pete Buttigieg back when the Infrastructure Bill passed said they rather give out fewer but bigger awards to fund transformational and projects that make a large impact rather than smaller awards to more places that would have less impact, or only be able to pay for studies, etc.  So it wouldn’t be surprising to me for a M-F commuter rail on a hybrid world where the job center is more sprawling than your typical office park. It’s not like it’s Ballantyne. RTP is colossally auto-dependent - especially for commuter rail - and makes Ballantyne look like a dense urban oasis.

image.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Is it feasible in Charlotte/Mecklenburg (City & County) to have Property Taxes raised enough to Fund the Transit Plan? (SilverLine & BlueLine Extension to Ballantyne).  Isn’t that how Austin is moving forward?  Also - Property taxes are a way to bypass the NCGA?

Edited by Hushpuppy321

1 hour ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Is it feasible in Charlotte/Mecklenburg (City & County) to have Property Taxes raised enough to Fund the Transit Plan? (SilverLine & BlueLine Extension to Ballantyne).  Isn’t that how Austin is moving forward?  Also - Property taxes are a way to bypass the NCGA?

yes to all questions. Unfortunately such a raise would be tough politically. IIRC the average property tax bill increase was (I believe) > $500 per year. That would have a much harder bite than a sales tax increment.

• Like 1

https://youtu.be/g9O6RzsXIqQ

The new Montreal REM is everything the silver line and future transit in  Charlotte should strive for. The notable thing is that this project was first announced in 2016 and the first phase is already in operation.  The automated trains would solve CATS issue of staffing. 

Edited by Nathan2
  • Like 4

REM is possible because the major investor is Caisse Dépôt et Placement, (Caisse), the Quebéc retirement system manager. The law allowing them to participate in infrastructure was passed in 2015 for this project. That gives REM  nearly unlimited funds at the lowest rate. 

I will be in Montréal in September and I hope they have established tap-and-go for conventional subway for use with U. S. cards by that time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caisse_de_dépôt_et_placement_du_Québec

edit: All above does not diminish the achievement. It looks superb and operates well

Edited by videtur quam contuor
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Nathan2 said:

https://youtu.be/g9O6RzsXIqQ

The new Montreal REM is everything the silver line and future transit in  Charlotte should strive for. The notable thing is that this project was first announced in 2016 and the first phase is already in operation.  The automated trains would solve CATS issue of staffing. 

and if my currency conversion is correct it was built at roughly the same per mile cost as the BLE

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

Hopefully the construction wasn't provided by the company that built the "Big O". 😅

I'll never forget squirming in my seat the year after a big beam fell onto the seats. Luckily I believe there was no one around. Of course after Loria bought the team that could have been true during a game. 

• Like 1