Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

From NBJ today:

Downtown Nashville was the country’s No. 14 most expensive office submarket of 2022 by sale price, at $540 per square foot, according to a PropertyShark study. The top-ranking most expensive submarket was Cambridge, Massachusetts, at $1,803 per square foot.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Bottled Blonde (5 story entertainment bar) update:  demo of most of former structure done.

Looking south from Broadway, 1/2 block east of 3rd Ave:

Bottled Blonde, March 26, 2023.jpeg

This one will be interesting to watch. How they blend a new structure into the older existing surroundings, will be a example for future reference. if it comes out looking good, then maybe it will lighten up the perspective of having to save every building in a older neighborhood, even if it’s not feasible to do so. 

• Like 3

I'm intrigued by that building in the last photo.  I've no doubt that it's stabilized very strongly, but can someone here explain what exactly is being done?  My understanding of brick buildings is that the brick/masonry is a 'veneer', meaning it's not structural.  Is that correct?  If so, then is that a steel substructure being installed behind it?  It looks like steel beams (maybe another material) along the Broadway side, but I don't see the same support along the Second Avenue side.  Just wondering if anyone can give more insight to how this construction is beind done. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

I'm intrigued by that building in the last photo.  I've no doubt that it's stabilized very strongly, but can someone here explain what exactly is being done?  My understanding of brick buildings is that the brick/masonry is a 'veneer', meaning it's not structural.  Is that correct?  If so, then is that a steel substructure being installed behind it?  It looks like steel beams (maybe another material) along the Broadway side, but I don't see the same support along the Second Avenue side.  Just wondering if anyone can give more insight to how this construction is beind done. 

Brick buildings done today are not structural.  Brick building when this was built...structural.  No doubt there are supporting elements in that wall now that are new holding it up, but this wall is a bunch of brick stacked triple-wythed (a guess) to give it its rigidity.  When you want to go tall...you gotta have a wider base.  See Monadnock Building in Chicago.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monadnock_Building

• Thanks 4

I wish MDHA would either force or give extra benefits to developers/architects that cared about the interaction between the units and the street. Not a porch is sight. Makes everything feel so impersonal, no way to have casual interactions with your neighbors, so dead looking.

• Like 1