Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Eh...I'm not crazy about it. At least not yet. I mean, I wasn't expecting them to do it in matching stone (though that would be awesome)...but the precast concrete slabs don't do it for me. 

However, the interior function of the building looks good...though I wonder why they feel the need to make the girl's lockerroom considerably larger than the boy's. :P

I couldn't say it better myself.  literally I couldn't.

The Fiber Cement Board that most commonly appears around here is Hardie Board siding.  MHZC will approve of that as long as it is the smooth kind.  The embossed kind, with the faux-woodgrain patterns is not permissible by historic standards.  Their policy is that if you want wood grain, put up wood siding.  I am inclined to agree with that assessment.

I'm actually ok with the precast element of the design. It's likely that it won't be your standard gray concrete, more likely it will be a colorful sandblasted finish. The design element I skeptical of is the fiber cement board. I'm not sure how familiar you guys are with fiber cement, but the drawings lead me to believe that it is a product from Germany called Fiber C. That product has a flat, dull, colored surface. Somewhat like stucco, but with even less texture. There are companies out there that make glass fiber reinforced concrete, that can be very appealing, but I don't think there are any that serve the Nashville market.

"The deal is also expected to include a 99-year lease on the roughly 500-space parking garage that’s being built on contiguous land and should be completed by April. Parmenter agreed to add the multi-level garage two years ago as part of a 15-year lease signed by Waller, the office building’s anchor tenant."

I guess that means there will not be a second tower added.

I'm not sure why the lease would prohibit building on top of the garage.  It was designed to support a building if the need ever arises.

"The deal is also expected to include a 99-year lease on the roughly 500-space parking garage that’s being built on contiguous land and should be completed by April. Parmenter agreed to add the multi-level garage two years ago as part of a 15-year lease signed by Waller, the office building’s anchor tenant."

The lease was for Waller in the current building; the garage was part of the deal to get them to stay; it has nothing to do with whether a 2nd tower will be built or not.

On another topic, it is unmistakeably a McDonalds, but the new Broadway store is a vast improvement over the old one.

Edited by captainwjm

It's a suburban, one-story building surrounded by a parking lot.  There's nothing urban about the building itself except its 'modern' appearance, which is the same design used in the suburbs.  Making the narrow end of the building slightly closer to the street makes no difference.  Had they followed the planning department's preference, the building would have been built to the side walk.  Even then it still would have been a single-use, one-story building with a large parking lot.

Does the McDonalds seem to fit into "acceptable urban design standards" fairly well? I know that's a broad term, but I think someone could generally say yes or no (accepting the fact that it's a drive-thru restaurant).

I took a walk today at lunch and ambled around the MCC, Hall of Fame, Omni, Hampton and Hilton, as well as the downtown tourist areas, Riverfront and 2nd Ave.  I must say that the area, from a pedestrian perspective, is quite impressive.  The MCC and Omini, especially, are lovely and impressive.  It is cerianly a different perspective from that I usually see from my window, the bus, or the interstate.   

Does the McDonalds seem to fit into "acceptable urban design standards" fairly well? I know that's a broad term, but I think someone could generally say yes or no (accepting the fact that it's a drive-thru restaurant).

I will say it is visually less offensive than The Pub in Pine St Flats. Also it is next to Exxon and Firestone which by virtue of what it is has parking/paving in front so no complaints on the McDonald's front from me.

What's wrong with the Pub in Pine St Flats? I haven't seen it.

Gimmicky facade that blends with nothing.

http://gulchguru.com/3313/the-pub-opening-soon-in-the-gulch/

What's wrong with the Pub in Pine St Flats? I haven't seen it.

Gimmicky facade that blends with nothing.

http://gulchguru.com/3313/the-pub-opening-soon-in-the-gulch/

You guys must be joking, right? You're saying that a parking lot centered McDonalds is LESS visually offensive than a English style pub front which addresses the sidewalk on a pedestrian scale?

I haven't seen either in person, but I have a hard time believing that I could be swayed to agree with that at all.

You guys must be joking, right? You're saying that a parking lot centered McDonalds is LESS visually offensive than a English style pub front which addresses the sidewalk on a pedestrian scale?

I haven't seen either in person, but I have a hard time believing that I could be swayed to agree with that at all.

I've seen both.  My $.02.  The Pub is fine; it's quirky, but to me that fits in well with the Gulch.  The McDonalds, as mentioned above, fits in with the surrounding Exxon station and Firestone repair center.  Whether suburban design or not, it IS at an interstate exit and drive-thru is their main customer base.  I think both are appropriate and not "visually offensive." 

• Like 1

I'm pretty excited about the McDonald's, there's no fast food within reasonable walking distance.  I've also thought several times that it'd be nice to have a Walgreen's in The Gulch, which is something I never imagined I'd say.  The McDonald's is very similar to the newer suburban style McDonald's which isn't the most esthetically please but it's very functional.  Like people have already stated, its right off the interstate and does a great deal of its business though the drive through.

As for the Pub, everyone I've talked to seems to really like the build out.  It's a little different but so is The Gulch.

I'm pretty excited about the McDonald's, there's no fast food within reasonable walking distance. I've also thought several times that it'd be nice to have a Walgreen's in The Gulch, which is something I never imagined I'd say. The McDonald's is very similar to the newer suburban style McDonald's which isn't the most esthetically please but it's very functional. Like people have already stated, its right off the interstate and does a great deal of its business though the drive through.

As for the Pub, everyone I've talked to seems to really like the build out. It's a little different but so is The Gulch.

I'm not going to throw a Molotov cocktail through the window of The Pub or anything I just think it looks tacky.

McDonald's not directly addressing the street would be a bigger deal if Broadway at that point wasn't already a dire pedestrian situation with the interstate, car dealers, Tennessean. You could also argue that it being closer to 12th now does address the street where people are most likely to walk up. I too am kinda pro McDonald's as the Gulch needs more daily sorts of places. I've griped before on here there needs to be a mix, we're too heavy on the Kayne Prime's and too light on the Walgreens. It is nice that I can walk for a $40 steak but I'd also like to walk to replenish toiletries and unfortunately the mundane tasks are more frequent.

• Like 1

I guess my $.02 on the Walgreens comment would be this;

I really hope something similar to a Walgreens, but NOT a Walgreens, goes into the Gulch. In other words, something privately and locally owned. That's not meant as a slight on that corporation, I'm just a pro-small business, local dollars kinda person.

Having said that, I don't live in the gulch, so I know you guys will take what you can get. That's why my $.02 is worth exactly that.

I really hope something similar to a Walgreens, but NOT a Walgreens, goes into the Gulch. In other words, something privately and locally owned. That's not meant as a slight on that corporation, I'm just a pro-small business, local dollars kinda person.

Having said that, I don't live in the gulch, so I know you guys will take what you can get. That's why my $.02 is worth exactly that.

Walgreens can be replaced with anything of equivalent convenience; it is really the gap that the Turnip Truck doesn't quite fill that we're missing.

• Like 1

I wish there were something private and local that would provide a similar service too, but I can't think of an example anywhere I've been.  Walgreens and CVS provide a range of services and products that would be very hard for a locally owned store to provide.  Maybe it's out there and I just haven't seen it.

Speaking of Walgreens, I was in Chicago last week and happened to visit 2 or 3 different Walgreens for various products.  This one really shocked me with how nice it was:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/06/upscale-walgreens-chicago_n_2253432.html  It was absolutely beautiful inside.