Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

The funny thing is that certain cities reach a tipping point and then there's no looking back. Austin's done it, Houston is doing it again right now, OKC is reaching that point, and we're just about to go over the edge into a free fall of booming activity. Literally this post-Great Recession economic recovery will have only a handful of cities that'll reap the rewards to the max, and all I've mentioned are likely to do it. Well, technically Austin's probably already done it. 

• Like 1

I have wondered if Signature Tower would be back on the drawing boards.  If you go to Google images and type in "Signature Tower Nashville", there is a picture of a tower about half way down the first page in between to images of WES.  I have never seen this rendering before and when you click on it, it says Signature Tower Nashville.  It's not the other Signature Tower proposed for Jakarta either.  Anyone know anything about this tower?  I wish I knew how to post the picture :dontknow:

I have wondered if Signature Tower would be back on the drawing boards.  If you go to Google images and type in "Signature Tower Nashville", there is a picture of a tower about half way down the first page in between to images of WES.  I have never seen this rendering before and when you click on it, it says Signature Tower Nashville.  It's not the other Signature Tower proposed for Jakarta either.  Anyone know anything about this tower?  I wish I knew how to post the picture :dontknow:

I believe that is a building in china

• Like 1

I'm surprised it's not him looking out of a window pointing at Lake Palmer and clutching his stomach while laughing tremendously. 

Hey if the months had shifted just a little bit he could've easily had his own hole in the ground on 5th and Church! 

Gotta love Tony's vision and drive but I would like to see just one of his proposals post-recession break ground...

• Like 2

It's almost 2005 again! Incredible, but at some point we (well for Tony's sake) need to see some proposals built.

I can see us being on a tipping point indeed. If we could get, say, WES and Sobro going, it could be snowball effect to see a few more larger projects.

Interesting find indeed barakat.

Hey if the months had shifted just a little bit he could've easily had his own hole in the ground on 5th and Church! 

Gotta love Tony's vision and drive but I would like to see just one of his proposals post-recession break ground...

Actually there is a deep hole in the ground on that lot. It was the basement levels of the old Cain Sloan Department store torn down in the early 80's and then backfilled with gravel and rocks before the parking lot was paved.

I must say that I'm not a fan of that design.  The shape of the thing is too reminiscent of circa 1968 brutalist architecture that ruined college campuses.  Although instead of pre-stressed concrete, this version has more glass.  But then again, so did the awful Boston City Hall.  I am OK with modern architecture and natural light, but not this particular design, and not at this location.

I also highly doubt that an "arts" magnet school would come downtown without a pretty serious reshuffling of school resources.  Nashville's arts magnet high school is already in the Woodbine area.  Nothing against downtown, but downtown already has Hume Fogg, and the neighborhoods need to have good schools, too.  If by some reason Nashville were to move the School of the Arts downtown, the Ben West Library would be my choice.  At least the school would have a library component, which would presumably fulfill the deed requirements on the Ben West site.

Here's an interesting concept for an arts magnet school on the 505CST site.

http://archinect.com/rubenvalenzuela/project/louise-lequire-arts-magnet-high-school-visual-arts-building

Good point.  Truth be told, I'm not sure where conventioneers are going to go for everyday conveniences in the downtown/Sobro area.  At $350/night rack rate for rooms, the Omni's canteen of toothbrushes and such is likely to be pricey as well.

I just hope none of these convention goers come across this bridge looking for everyday conveniences.

I also highly doubt that an "arts" magnet school would come downtown without a pretty serious reshuffling of school resources.  Nashville's arts magnet high school is already in the Woodbine area.  Nothing against downtown, but downtown already has Hume Fogg, and the neighborhoods need to have good schools, too.  If by some reason Nashville were to move the School of the Arts downtown, the Ben West Library would be my choice.  At least the school would have a library component, which would presumably fulfill the deed requirements on the Ben West site.

What about the Johnson School site? Its at 2nd and Chestnut, right at the doorstep to Wedgewood-Houston, which many are touting as Nashville's Arts District. And MNPS is considering closing the existing Johnson School program down - http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-news/mnps-considers-closing-johnson-school-next-year

A lot of NSA grads have set up shop in Wedgewood-Houston. Infinity Cat is a big one that comes to mind. There could be some pretty amazing opportunities for mentoring and internships with fort houston and other creative spaces just down the road.

Of course the Ben West site would open up opportunities for really awesome collaboration with TPAC, the Frist, etc...

I wonder how satisfied the NSA community is with their current location.

I must say that I'm not a fan of that design.  The shape of the thing is too reminiscent of circa 1968 brutalist architecture that ruined college campuses.  Although instead of pre-stressed concrete, this version has more glass.  But then again, so did the awful Boston City Hall.  I am OK with modern architecture and natural light, but not this particular design, and not at this location.

Brutal is right. Besides being a ghastly design, even if it were "spectacular", a school would be a massive underuse of that particular location. That is a premier piece of real estate, and nothing short of a high-rise should go there.

I guess Cummins Station is SoBro?

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2013/09/gsf-settles-into-the-madison-avenue.html

Office tour: Inside GS&F's new Cummins Station office

GS&F, one of Nashville's top-performing advertising agencies, recently moved from Hillsboro Pike to new offices inside Cummins Station. Neighboring fellow agencies like Bohan and cj Advertising, the area is quickly becoming the Madison Avenue of Nashville.