Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Forgive me, but I'm not exactly sure I know what you mean by this? Are you meaning that the AT&T tower won't look as prominent in the skyline if something like the Hyatt were built on it's proposed lot?

I think he's saying that he prefers the massings to remain distinct (i.e. downtown buildings and SoBro buildings, with Broadway as the buffer).

Personally, I think it will still look distinct. The Hyatt will bring highrises a half block closer, but that's it...it will still be set back from Broadway...so the "Broadway Canyon" will still exist (which is perfectly fine).

• Like 1

I will be highly surprised if the poles and lines stay. And VERY disappointed. This will be a stellar building so to see it marred by a jumbled mass of infrastructure spaghetti .... 

WW

Beyond being infuriating, it would come across to me as just a very odd decision for metro to leave those lines there, given the fact that they're all about marketing The Gulch as the new progressive, trendy "it" neighborhood of the south. 

That's for clearing that up for me. Can you take it one step further? Division St., east of 12th. Icon on your left Terrazo on your right. I know for sure that utilities were above ground there, even after both projects were completed. Are they gone?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm honestly just trying to find out what I've missed. Like I said, I've been gone a while.

There are poles on the Icon side of Division as well as along the Magazine side of Icon. Not at prominent as the ones in front of Hensler building but they are there.

Beyond being infuriating, it would come across to me as just a very odd decision for metro to leave those lines there, given the fact that they're all about marketing The Gulch as the new progressive, trendy "it" neighborhood of the south. 

The Gulch is not a MDHA redevelopment district, so Metro has comparatively little to do with the Gulch other than the usual Planning and Codes approvals. The Gulch is master planned and marketed by Market Street. If I am not mistaken, it was Market Street who was responsible for paying for the upgraded sidewalks, lighting, benches, etc, in order to generate interest and demand for their development site. So while there no doubt was Public Works input, that cost for those improvements is being driven - and I assume funded - by the private interests who stand to gain the most from it.

Similarly, if Metro were responsible for moving electric poles for this or any other private project, that cost would be born by the NES ratepayers. In other words, that cost would go on to all of our electric bills system wide. NES does not have a budget for moving electric poles for the aesthetics of private development. That's why I can see the poles being moved, but the cost of that should be born by Mr. Hensler et al. My earlier comment was that NES may be happy to move poles at his expense, but my source who handles this stuff for NES says that the telephone lines are a totally separate entity and they are less responsive and take longer to get their stuff done. So Mr. Hensler had better start soon!

I don't want to sound argumentative. My first hope is that all of those lines DO go underground, with a secondary hope that they all get moved BEHIND those buildings along the interstate-facing side of the buildings. It's just that this expense and new line easement/right-of-way acquisition is up to the private interests, not NES ratepayers or Metro taxpayers.

• Like 1

My earlier comment was that NES may be happy to move poles at his expense, but my source who handles this stuff for NES says that the telephone lines are a totally separate entity and they are less responsive and take longer to get their stuff done. So Mr. Hensler had better start soon!

The phone lines (and cable tv) are usually located on the NES owned poles, so when NES wants to move or remove a pole, phone and cable usually have to comply at NES's schedule. However if they are on separate poles, good luck to Hensler!

The phone lines (and cable tv) are usually located on the NES owned poles, so when NES wants to move or remove a pole, phone and cable usually have to comply at NES's schedule. However if they are on separate poles, good luck to Hensler!

What I think happens is that when NES moves a pole, they don't physically remove the pole, they place a new one and move their lines to it.  Then they have to wait for the telephone folks to move their lines so that they can remove the old pole.  That is where the delay seems to occur.

Historic Germantown site on Jefferson sold.  See the attached article about the cool, historic home on Jefferson opposite Bicentennial Mall.  http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2013/08/prime-germantown-site-sells-to-music.html

I was nervous at first, but it sounds like the home will be saved.  I am hoping that something similar happens for the historic Geist Blacksmith Shop and home further down on Jefferson closer to the river. 

The historic building will be saved. According to the article... "Future plans may include luxury residential development with homes in the $250 to $300 per foot range in addition to the historic building." Also.."As for the existing building, Hammond said it would make a beautiful restaurant."

I live in Germantown and am excited to hear this.

I think he's saying that he prefers the massings to remain distinct (i.e. downtown buildings and SoBro buildings, with Broadway as the buffer).

Personally, I think it will still look distinct. The Hyatt will bring highrises a half block closer, but that's it...it will still be set back from Broadway...so the "Broadway Canyon" will still exist (which is perfectly fine).

Exactly.  It's not about any one building, there's a tight mass (seen from the East especially) of buildings ranging radically in scale and style and age which form a very pleasing shape.  When you're there (rather than just looking at a picture) it creates the impression of a dense urban area waiting to be explored. 

skyline_zpsd7167e04.jpg

• Like 1

It's not everyone's favorite developement, and not the best use for the land, but the McDonalds on 12th and Broadway is going up very fast.  It doesn't look like it's going to be an eyesore, but definitely a missed opportunity for a large scale office building that just happened to have a McDonalds on the bottom level.

It's not everyone's favorite developement, and not the best use for the land, but the McDonalds on 12th and Broadway is going up very fast.  It doesn't look like it's going to be an eyesore, but definitely a missed opportunity for a large scale office building that just happened to have a McDonalds on the bottom level.

Even bigger missed opportunity for a large scale office building that just happened not to have a McDonalds on the bottom level.

• Like 1

I have to imagine that if a developer comes along in the future that is really serious about putting a large scale development on that property, that McDonald's isn't going to be much of a hindrance, especially if they offer to put a McDonald's in the ground floor of said development.  Am I wrong in thinking that?

Well, if these two buildings HAVE to be in this location, I guess a false facade is better than nothing.

I wonder what the matarials will be for the NES substation skin?  I was originally hoping for brick, sort of like the one in the Rolling Mill Hill area.  It could then kind of blend in with the Slaughterhouse next door.  But my next thought was to wrap it in whatever they are wrapping the Central Precinct in so that at least they would look like one building.  But this rendering seems to be a little bit of a letdown to my modest hopes.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2013/8/21/real_estate_notes_work_to_begin_on_nes_substation

Wanted to make sure you guys saw this. NES station to be skinned in SoBro

This will be my second post in row this morning with a negative tone to it. Guess I'm grumpy...lol! This is one of the most horrible waste's of prime real estate that I can think of. Everytime I look back at the SoBro master plan, (see below) and see what could have been, and see what's going on that lot now, It's just very bothersome to me. The NES substation and new Police precinct will be there for a LONG time to come. Way to go Nashville! You paid all that money to do a study for a SoBro master plan and seen all the potential that could have come with each block, only to build an NES substation and Police precinct on what could have otherwise been a prime location to build a mixed-use project of some sort. Awesome... :good:

Screen%20Shot%202013-01-31%20at%202.56.4

Edited by mirydi