Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Good find!  I'm glad that the building was finally purchased and that someone will be restoring it.  Unlike the Shelby bridge, I doubt that there will be many wedding photo ops taking place on the pedestrian bridge that is in close proximity to this property.

New event venue on Rutledge Hill.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2013/08/new-event-venue-coming-near-rolling.html

Needless to say that this backs up to the bridge from HELL and I would bet it went cheap as it had been for sale for a long time.

• Like 1

This is awesome news, such a cool old house.  Looking a the smattering of historic homes in the area always makes me wonder what the neighborhood would have looked like in its prime. 

Maybe at some point JC and UC will be redeveloped into a mixed income neighborhood and the bridge will become a good thing.  The redevelopment of these housing projects is always a touchy subject, but concentrated poverty in an army barracks like encampment is definitely not the answer.  Hopefully the Cayce redevelopment will be a success and a model to follow for other housing projects around the city.

There is an ad in the latest Native magazine announcing presale for Aerial's Salemtown Cottages development (24 townhomes at Buchanan and Rosa Parks).    I haven't been over there in a about a week so not sure about groundbreaking, but it looked like several loads of fill material had been dumped on site, or possibly excavated from another part of the site.   Does anyone have an update on this project?

Another update on the above mentioned article. I did talk to William Williams and there will be news coming out this week about this project. Full steam ahead and presages to start.

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2013/9/10/village_to_sell_salemtown_cottages

Thanks!   I saw yesterday that more fill material has been brought in on one of the vacant lots facing 7th, and there's a developer sign and portolet.   Looks like there may be two existing houses on the site footprint that will have to be demo'd.   The site plan also seems to show that Buchanan St. will be reopened to Rosa Parks (it currently dead ends).   Not sure if Metro has approved reconnection of the streets.    Agree this will be more quality infill for Salemtown.    Incredible how many individual infill homes are going up in Salemtown right now.  

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2013/9/9/site_plan_highlights_germantown_project_features

This is something I found last week for WW. I had not seen the site plan before this.

As I watch this project come out of the ground, it's considerably larger than I had first envisioned - possibly larger than Vista Germantown.    The wrapped garage is nearly topped out and footers and foundation for the apartments facing 5th are underway, should see walls rising soon.    I like the fact that the two large shed structures along Taylor St. are being preserved and incorporated into the project.  It will be interesting to see what use can be found for those.     

Meanwhile, the Square @ 4th project keeps inching along.    Two and half years and counting, I believe?    The retail units on 4th appear to be getting close, but this project is on its own pacing so hard to tell.    Disappointing that there appear to be no plans for landscaping or sidewalk trees along either 4th or Madison, and there are a number of low concrete retaining walls, which serve no apparent function.    It's an odd project.    

The rendering is finally available for the Hume-Fogg High School gym addition.  It is contained in the attached docket for the Metro Historic Zoning Commission meeting on Wednesday.  Quick hint:  it is pretty modern.  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2013%20Meetings/09%20September%202013/SR%20700%20Broadway,%20addition.pdf

The rendering is finally available for the Hume-Fogg High School gym addition.  It is contained in the attached docket for the Metro Historic Zoning Commission meeting on Wednesday.  Quick hint:  it is pretty modern.  http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2013%20Meetings/09%20September%202013/SR%20700%20Broadway,%20addition.pdf

wow, shoulda said "warning it is pretty modern"

Eh...I'm not crazy about it. At least not yet. I mean, I wasn't expecting them to do it in matching stone (though that would be awesome)...but the precast concrete slabs don't do it for me. 

However, the interior function of the building looks good...though I wonder why they feel the need to make the girl's lockerroom considerably larger than the boy's. :P

Just a reminder, the Metro Historic Zoning Commission hearings are just that:  public hearings.  So those of us who are Davidson County residents or property owners have a right to attend the hearings or to write the MHCZ prior to Wednesday's hearings with comments about this and other proposals.  That is the most direct way to get your opinions registered to try to sway the Commission one way or another about design details.  They still have to follow guidelines which are quoted in each of the dockets.  But I think that UTgrad09's comment about the pre-cast concrete is a good example of something that is worthy of reconsideration by the Commission.

The same thing goes for Planning Commission hearings on proposals or rezoning issues that go before the Metro Council. 

A lot of people probably do read UP, but the decisionmaking bodies can legally only base decisions on constituent feedback that is provided either in person at a hearing or in writing (e-mail counts as long as you include your name and address).

Edited by bwithers1

I'm actually ok with the precast element of the design. It's likely that it won't be your standard gray concrete, more likely it will be a colorful sandblasted finish. The design element I skeptical of is the fiber cement board. I'm not sure how familiar you guys are with fiber cement, but the drawings lead me to believe that it is a product from Germany called Fiber C. That product has a flat, dull, colored surface. Somewhat like stucco, but with even less texture. There are companies out there that make glass fiber reinforced concrete, that can be very appealing, but I don't think there are any that serve the Nashville market.