Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Channel 2 reporting new east bank park north of Bridge Building. 

So how is the park different than the plans for the park, overlook and marina north of the Bridge Building that were announced a few years ago in the MDHA's riverfront development plans?  Here is a link to those plans.  http://www.nashville-mdha.org/downtownWaterfront.php  These next few phases on the East Bank were funded by Metro Council several years ago in the Capital Improvements Budgets (they go out about 5 years but are updated every year).  There was some concern that those fonds for the East Bank side had been diverted to the West Bank side, but now it seems like the city is going to continue forward with the East Bank as planned but also announce the long rumored amphiteatre for the Thermal Plant site, which has long been "pencilled in" in to the MDHA drawings.  Other than details, it seems that all of this is non-news, but it is good to have confirmation. 

Edited by bwithers1

i'm having trouble pasting links, but the design plans for the east bank boat access phase are on www.nashvilleriverfront.org.    Those plans were done by Lose & Associates some months ago.     I THINK this is what the mayor was announcing today but not sure whether the design is the same as what we've seen before. 

Well, so maybe the plans aren't new, and maybe the funding has been there. I guess this was more of a "begin construction" announcement.

Either way, I'm excited. I think an amphitheate is a great use for the thermal site. I know that some people on this board would rather see new towers on that site, but I think that a city can never have too much green space. Besides, there are plenty of parking lots that still need to be developed. Riverfront property is an ideal place for green space and you only get one chance to preserve it. It can always be developed in the future, but going backwards is much more difficult.

I would think a location that's centrally located to the bulk of the region's population would be ideal for large destination retailer like IKEA. With this in mind, it's hard to argue with them preferring a location right in the middle of Nashville. Placing it somewhere far out like Murfreesboro might seem smart at first given the student population there. However, it wouldn't be very centralized and convenient to the bulk of their potential Middle TN customers which is far more extensive than college students. BTW, I suspect we have just as many if not more students in Davidson County. The lack of centrality may also hinder the Bellevue site as it is sort of on the fringe of the county without significant suburban population surrounding it.

I know when the IKEA opened in the Metro Detroit/SE Michigan area, they opted for neither Ann Arbor with its 50,000+ students nor downtown/midtown Detroit which isn't truly centrally located for the larger region. They chose a location in Canton which is centrally located to the bulk of their potential customer base a short drive from Detroit, the universities in Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti, the popular suburbs in Oakland County and Toledo to the south. The opposite would be true here where this rumored location near downtown would essentially be near the center of a large regional population that extends from southern Kentucky and extends to Columbia to the south. 

Edited by ariesjow

i'm having trouble pasting links, but the design plans for the east bank boat access phase are on www.nashvilleriverfront.org.    Those plans were done by Lose & Associates some months ago.     I THINK this is what the mayor was announcing today but not sure whether the design is the same as what we've seen before. 

Some of those plans from the link appear to have included a new waterway that would create an island under the Titans staduim.  That's not a part of today's announcement/proposal, right?

Some of those plans from the link appear to have included a new waterway that would create an island under the Titans staduim.  That's not a part of today's announcement/proposal, right?

Right.   Click on the "Download 2013 Riverfront Landing" link.  Channel 4's website is now posting those renderings for the east bank landing.    Maybe someone on here can post.   I think I'm still in the cut/paste probationary period on this forum.   :)

As for the thermal site, I originally favored the ballpark there, but converted some time ago to the amphitheater team - probably after seeing how well the site works for the concerts they've had there in the last few years.    Now I'm curious about the design phase.    With the visibility of the site there's an opportunity, even working within the existing budget, to design a structure that both functions well as an event space and contributes to the view of downtown from the east side.   There's also the chance to miss that opportunity.   The pavilion design in the rendering today left me a little flat, but I'm thinking it may have been more conceptual at this stage.    

^ Interesting. Would Antioch still be the center of population if you included nearby metros it would draw such as Clarksville/Ft. Campbell?

If you want to throw in Clarksville and also consider Bowling Green (1 hr drive, Western Kentucky) and Cookeville (80-90 minutes, Tennessee Tech), then downtown Nashville would definitely be the center. But at the same time, when you start adding these far away places, the difference between having it downtown, or in Bellevue, or in Antioch, or Donelson makes less of a difference.

A place like IKEA should be an additional attraction to lure visitors. People drive long distances to shop at those stores, and they often spend big bucks while they're there, not to mention spending at other nearby stores and restaurants.

As for an IKEA locating near a downtown core, I'm not sure how common that is, but they had broken ground on one in Tampa just as I was moving from there 6 years ago. The location was very near residential, adjacent to a busy cross-town highway, and within a mile of downtown, the Channelside port district and the Ybor City district, all tourist spots. A North Gulch area would seem very similar in the type of location with its proximity to tourist destinations.

The Tampa IKEA site before construction:

0402ike2.jpg

Edited by Jamie Hall

I had heard back when I was working on 11th North that it was going to be a Super Target. When you think about it, it would make more sense since it would bring a large grocery retailer to a growing underserved residential market. Is it sexy? No, but it would be practical.

They recently opened a target in San Francisco (first one in the city) that they have branded City Target. It's quite nice actually. And it fits into the neighborhood very well. Of course, there is no parking and the subway is a block away, so we are talking about a different animal entirely, but it's still nice. A few lessons could be learned from it.

I definately see some sort of big box store/grocery going into this site, I just hope that it's not a stand alone venture. I would like to see a mixed use complex, a'la Hill Center, with residential and maybe the big box as the anchor.

Hopefully not IKEA. I'm ok with IKEA and I hope Nashville gets one. Just not there.

Edited by nashvillwill
  • Like 2

I had heard back when I was working on 11th North that it was going to be a Super Target. When you think about it, it would make more sense since it would bring a large grocery retailer to a growing underserved residential market. Is it sexy? No, but it would be practical.

There was an interview where they said they had received lots of proposals but they had rejected many as not in keeping with the urban character of the site, so I wouldn't expect a single-use, sea-of-asphalt type of development.  They've also said the build out will be several years, so it's more way than a typical Target anchored strip mall, those things sprout up in about a week nowadays.  I don't know what they're planning, but I'd wager it's going to be pretty ambitious-it's really a one-time opportunity, even in Nashville with all its wasted land, to have 30+ acres 2 blocks from the capital and across the street from the gulch.  I'd be amazed if it didn't have a housing component.

I've suspected Publix might be involved since it was apparently them pulling out that killed the mixed use (Publix and apts) building in front of the statue of the naked people, which I think would've been a great development.  Was that because Publix is looking to go in here?  They could hardly go both places, they're too close.

I don't know what the fixation is with the amphitheater, but you would think the thermal site would be better utilized as just one big  park, with more tree's, walkway's, bike path's, park amenities, etc. I mean, we aleady have an outdoor music venue just feet away at the lawn at riverfront, which serves it's purpose pretty well if you ask me. Do we really need another? It just seem's like the amphitheater take's up quite a bit of space that will not be used unless there is a special event going on, not to mention the added cost of it. What about in the winter time when people will still want to use a park, but there will be no outdoor music venues? All your left with then is what look's like some lame walkway (with hardly any tree's) and a giant unused amphitheater (taking up a lot of space) that is useless.

They should have just built an amphitheater at the lawn at the riverfront, (on the water or something) and just expanded the seating by extending the lawn to the North some more. You can seat quite a lot of people there already.

I don't think this is a horrible idea or anything, and maybe it will be successful, I just see it as a missed oppurtunity to build what could have otherwise been an awesome park at the thermal site. Either way, I'm still quite happy about the riverfront redevelopments and hopefully all of this will kickstart a plan to relocate you know who... :good:

^^^I agree with you on all points. I'm glad a park is going in there, but the amphitheater a little awkward. Base upon it's projected capacity ~7000, it's too small for national acts, but too big for small local bands. I'm not really sure what it's intended for. It would be a great outdoor venue for the symphony, but their home is a block away and I think they've had success in other parks around town.

Either way, I would hope that the amphitheater space is always open to the public (such as the amphitheatre on the bicentennial mall) and not some fenced off area that is only accessible on event days. If the former is true, I love the idea. If the later is the case, then it will be a huge waste off space.

I don't know what the fixation is with the amphitheater, but you would think the thermal site would be better utilized as just one big  park, with more tree's, walkway's, bike path's, park amenities, etc. I mean, we aleady have an outdoor music venue just feet away at the lawn at riverfront, which serves it's purpose pretty well if you ask me. Do we really need another? It just seem's like the amphitheater take's up quite a bit of space that will not be used unless there is a special event going on, not to mention the added cost of it. What about in the winter time when people will still want to use a park, but there will be no outdoor music venues? All your left with then is what look's like some lame walkway (with hardly any tree's) and a giant unused amphitheater (taking up a lot of space) that is useless.

They should have just built an amphitheater at the lawn at the riverfront, (on the water or something) and just expanded the seating by extending the lawn to the North some more. You can seat quite a lot of people there already.

I don't think this is a horrible idea or anything, and maybe it will be successful, I just see it as a missed oppurtunity to build what could have otherwise been an awesome park at the thermal site. Either way, I'm still quite happy about the riverfront redevelopments and hopefully all of this will kickstart a plan to relocate you know who... :good:

Ask all of the people who were falling down the embankments last Friday night if the lawn at riverfront is a solid concert venue. It's ok for a couple of people sitting around watching a small local act but for any sizable rock show it's a complete disaster. Like the poster above me said, as long as the amphitheater area is open year round then it is basically a large open park area when not in use. The only space not usable would be the stage area. An amphitheater would be great for concerts pre and post Titans/Preds games and for the orchestra on the 4th of July. 

I don't think it will be fenced in or anything, but even if not, it still leaves us with a rather large area that is pretty much intended for sitting at an event, and not much else. What good is that when 95% of the time there will be no event's happening to speak of?

Ask all of the people who were falling down the embankments last Friday night if the lawn at riverfront is a solid concert venue. It's ok for a couple of people sitting around watching a small local act but for any sizable rock show it's a complete disaster.

Soo, fix it. Make it more user friendly. It wouldn't be all THAT hard to come up with a solution, and would probably be a whole lot cheaper then building yet another outdoor music venue from scratch.

Edit: One idea is to add more steps leading up and down the riverfront allowing people easier access, instead of either walking all the way over to the one set of stairs on the Southside, or trying to walk up a slippery steep hill.

Edited by mirydi

I thought Dean sounded like there would be community input allowed for the design of the Thermal park... and I like the idea of having trees.  So would it be possible to plant Birch trees along the perimeter of the amphitheater?  With their straight trunks and scaly bark, it would make a great "wall", and provide shade too.

The lawn at riverfront is the same site as the proposed amphitheater. You are referring to Riverfront Park where Nashville Dancin' and a few others have events. 

We already have one in Bi-Centennial Mall. Not quite as elegant, but still nice.

Yes it is.  It's a great little stage and it's rarely used (my office overlooks it).    Not sure why.    One could see Shakespeare in the Park and similar theater and music events happening there, but not many do.   I don't know this, but I'm guessing it must be more difficult to coordinate open-to-the-public productions with the state (Bicentennial Mall is a state park) than it is with Metro (eg, Centennial Park).   You have to factor in permits, services, security, parking, insurance, etc. and it could just be a matter of degrees of red tape.     

In any event, the riverfront amphitheater will need to be a considerably more sophisticated (and larger) facility that can accommodate a variety of productions, from the symphony to Skrillex, and the accommodations those productions will need for electrical, sound, lighting, trailers, artist facilities, production crews, catering, etc.      

Skrillex, Nashville Symphony, Bob Dylan, Zach Brown Band and more have already played on the site so it won't be hard to accommodate those size acts. I think the purpose of this is to have a place for the symphony and local holiday events like the 4th more so than a true amphitheater with several shows a week. Think of it as a mini- Millennium park. It will be a park first and a music venue second. 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/77/Millennium_Park_Map_labels.png/400px-Millennium_Park_Map_labels.png