Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Since someone thought it was a fantastic idea to build this new Police precinct and NES substation right across the street from the cities new centerpiece (MCC), they might as well throw in a new city jail there as well to compliment it. I mean, think about how much gas the city would save by transporting all those criminals to the other side of town that hang out around the crime infested new convention center. Aw hell, while there at it, might as well throw in a brand new multi-million dollar homeless shelter in that location as well. I mean, we already have one a few blocks away. Why not, right?

This will be my second post in row this morning with a negative tone to it. Guess I'm grumpy...lol! This is one of the most horrible waste's of prime real estate that I can think of. Everytime I look back at the SoBro master plan, (see below) and see what could have been, and see what's going on that lot now, It's just very bothersome to me. The NES substation and new Police precinct will be there for a LONG time to come. Way to go Nashville! You paid all that money to do a study for a SoBro master plan and seen all the potential that could have come with each block, only to build an NES substation and Police precinct on what could have otherwise been a prime location to build a mixed-use project of some sort. Awesome... :good:

Screen%20Shot%202013-01-31%20at%202.56.4

The substation was already built and the police precinct already planned when the Plan of Sobro was developed. It does not go against the ideals in the study. 

The developer of the recently announced $700 million dollar Ovation in Williamson County,(Highwoods Properties) is set to buy the Pinnacle tower.. :shok: .

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2013/08/highwoods-set-to-buy-pinnacle-tower.html

This company must have some serious dough!

Edited by mirydi

Take this for what it's worth, but I was told over the weekend by somebody involved in downtown real estate that the rumored IKEA store for the Northwestern Mutual site in the North Gulch (Charlotte & 11th Ave) is a 100% done deal. I would've thought plans for that site would be announced by now considering the property will be totally cleared in a couple of months. Any rumblings elsewhere about this project?

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about the possibility of an IKEA store being put there.  I have never seen an Ikea that was built with the urban built environment in mind.  Every single one, down to the ones in South Philly, Brooklyn, and Atlantic Station in ATL, is the same massive, windowless, asphalt surrounded warehouse building that you see in the burbs. 

I also agree with IKEA not really belonging in that spot. I mean, sure, it would be great to have an IKEA, regardless of location...I just think the acreage required by IKEA would be wasted in an urban area. The NW Mutual site is, what, 33 acres? The Atlanta IKEA, including structured parking and the open land right around the building, loading docks, access roads, etc, takes up close to 11 acres. Do we really want 1/3 of North Gulch taken up by what amounts to a European big box store?

I think Bellevue would be a good site.

Speaking of the NWM site, what's up w/ the Porter Paint store? Will it stay or will it go?

I believe they moved last week, building to come down near term, was in one of the papers a while back.

I too would be let down with an Ikea, put that in Murfreesboro, they have MTSU, space, and it is still close enough for those in the city to trek out to. However a real grocery store would be great.

Went to the Ikea in Atlanta about a year ago... and was not impressed.  It's one of those stores that too many people equate with a city's "arrival" (whatever that is), but frankly I don't think I'd need to go again.  Besides... I know my wife would rather have a Crate and Barrel if we lived in Nashville. Isn't one slated for the new Green Hills tower?  I'm not sure where I got that notion. 

Went to the Ikea in Atlanta about a year ago... and was not impressed.  It's one of those stores that too many people equate with a city's "arrival" (whatever that is), but frankly I don't think I'd need to go again.  Besides... I know my wife would rather have a Crate and Barrel if we lived in Nashville. Isn't one slated for the new Green Hills tower?  I'm not sure where I got that notion. 

I soooo agree. There is absolutely nothing in Ikea I would purchase. I laugh when my friends in Atlanta rave about Ikea. I'm like "Really, you shop there". Give me Armani Casa or Clive Christian.

Edited by FromParkAveToTN
  • Like 2

In short East Bank landing and park space, with updated marina area. West bank green space and small amphitheater.

This fall for east bank construction and west bank will start later on. no time frame on that just yet.

30-40 million dollars.

You guys feel free to post news articles. there were a lot of details and renderings.