Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

I think something is lost in translation here. I'm not crediting the skyscraper itself for everything that happened, I'm saying that it was the catalyst for getting everything rolling as it did. Obviously the arena brought in more people, but I cast doubt that the arena may have been completed without "Batman" breaking ground first.

Without Hewlett getting it located there, instead of in some suburban locale, as what might've been favored, downtown development from that point on would've ended up differently, especially around Lower Broad.

That was the first major project post-recession that successfully kicked off everything in that area. Boner hoped that would be Church Street Centre to bolster Church Street and spread, but that was a failure. Prior to that, Dick Fulton hoped that building the Convention Center would serve as a catalyst, and that was also a failure (not helping that it looked like an impenetrable fort with no street activation fronting Broad). It didn't help matters that it was already outdated by its completion (for those folks who lived here then, we also remember it sat like Lake Palmer for a time - Fulton's Folly, along with his other disastrous serpentine and brick mess with Church St).

It was the South Central Bell Bldg. that did light the fire downtown. I date everything downtown as before Batman and after, because it was the difference between the declining urban dark age and the boom.

I hope I made my point clear.

• Like 4

Olmstead gets foundation permit (from Nashville Post):

"The development partnership planning the 330-unit Olmsted SoBro on a site located in the shadows of the Music City Center has landed a foundation permit. Cambridge Swinerton Builders is the general contractor for the apartment project, with the permit valued at $2.49 million. The partnership of Atlanta-based Cocke Finkelstein Inc. and Charlotte-based Llewellyn Development created the LLC to develop Olmsted SoBro on roughly 1.9 acres at 501 Fifth Ave. South."

• Like 1

Thanks for that tidbit... looks like the next round of construction surrounding the MCC is about to get cranking with JWM, Cambria, Olmsted and (dare-i-say?) Marriott Tri and Pizzutti Mandarin. And the Barge Wagoner Cannon tower announced last week (isn't that due to start in a matter of weeks?).  Geesh, the MCC is the gift that keeps on giving. 

The Olmsted will really jazz up the south side of the MCC, as it will be a block away, but will rise up to 7 stories on the downhill end of the block. 

8 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Thanks for that tidbit... looks like the next round of construction surrounding the MCC is about to get cranking with JWM, Cambria, Olmsted and (dare-i-say?) Marriott Tri and Pizzutti Mandarin. And the Barge Wagoner Cannon tower announced last week (isn't that due to start in a matter of weeks?).  Geesh, the MCC is the gift that keeps on giving. 

The Olmsted will really jazz up the south side of the MCC, as it will be a block away, but will rise up to 7 stories on the downhill end of the block. 

Don't forget the apartment project on 6th between Peabody and Lea...and City Lights...and Lifestyle Communities on 2nd/3rd around Ash. South of the MCC is the next wave of downtown construction.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fieldmarshaldj said:

I think something is lost in translation here. I'm not crediting the skyscraper itself for everything that happened, I'm saying that it was the catalyst for getting everything rolling as it did. Obviously the arena brought in more people, but I cast doubt that the arena may have been completed without "Batman" breaking ground first.

Without Hewlett getting it located there, instead of in some suburban locale, as what might've been favored, downtown development from that point on would've ended up differently, especially around Lower Broad.

That was the first major project post-recession that successfully kicked off everything in that area. Boner hoped that would be Church Street Centre to bolster Church Street and spread, but that was a failure. Prior to that, Dick Fulton hoped that building the Convention Center would serve as a catalyst, and that was also a failure (not helping that it looked like an impenetrable fort with no street activation fronting Broad). It didn't help matters that it was already outdated by its completion (for those folks who lived here then, we also remember it sat like Lake Palmer for a time - Fulton's Folly, along with his other disastrous serpentine and brick mess with Church St).

It was the South Central Bell Bldg. that did light the fire downtown. I date everything downtown as before Batman and after, because it was the difference between the declining urban dark age and the boom.

I hope I made my point clear.

There was not one project that it ignited Broadway rebirth but several trends that had been going on for years.  

1.  2nd ave N was being renovated for 20 years with new restaurants and new offices.    There was eventually an appreciation of the old buildings by nashvillians and tourist.Investors spread from 2nd ave to broadway and now sobro.

2. The old broadway of adult movie houses was pushed out of the area for new business such as boot shops, tourist shops, and country music bars.  These business survived in the early years and are now very profitable.

3.  The surge in nationwide popularity of country music-and the evolution of country music into pop music-made nashville music city brand much more significant- With broadway and the ryman its soul

4.  successful projects such as Batman bldg./broadway arena/country music hall of fame/and encore continued the transition of the area such that other big projects could follow

Edited by Nashvilletitans

17 minutes ago, Nashvilletitans said:

There was not one project that it ignited Broadway rebirth but several trends that had been going on for years.  

1.  2nd ave N was being renovated for 20 years with new restaurants and new offices.    There was eventually an appreciation of the old buildings by nashvillians and tourist.Investors spread from 2nd ave to broadway and now sobro.

2. The old broadway of adult movie houses was pushed out of the area for new business such as boot shops, tourist shops, and country music bars.  These business survived in the early years and are now very profitable.

3.  The surge in nationwide popularity of country music-and the evolution of country music into pop music-made nashville music city brand much more significant- With broadway and the ryman its soul

4.  successful projects such as Batman bldg./broadway arena/country music hall of fame/and encore continued the transition of the area such that other big projects could follow

Don't forget about the Wildhorse Saloon opening in the 80's which I personally know increased property values on Second Avenue instantly. The widening of Commerce Street and eliminating the dogleg at 3rd Avenue preceded the Convention Center (80's), 34 story Marriott Hotel (80's), and AT&T (90's) and allowed for upgrading of the area.

Wow! I'm really out of it... I don't remember the Whildhorse in the 80s. I only remember it in the 90s, and could have sworn it was after I graduated from Vandy in 92.  Then again, like I've said, as a student I rarely ventured far from West End.  And what 34-story Marriott?  I do remember a Stouffer Hotel, but pretty sure it's the predecessor to Renaissance. So where was/is the Marriott?  I also remember a Hyatt downtown, which I'm almost certain is the present-day Sheraton. 

5 hours ago, Nashvilletitans said:

What was going on on 2nd Avenue was contained explicitly to that area and was hit or miss with respect to success up until the '90s. It really wasn't until the construction of the SCB "Batman" Building that interest literally exploded in that area, with the restaurants and clubs opening up en masse. For a long time, the only place down there with any proven success was the Old Spaghetti Factory.

With Lower Broad, those "undesirable" shops were still there up until around Batman's construction, but when the desireability of the area exploded, that's when they were finally forced out.

As for the Ryman, which was barely functioning as an underutilized museum, it also did not take off as a venue again until after Batman's construction.

That's why I stand on what I said that this was one instance where a skyscraper did serve as a positive catalyst in a way virtually no skyscraper before it had done so (save perhaps the L&C in 1957, which was the first actual skyscraper downtown taller than 200 feet, which made it "safe" for others to follow).

17 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

It's my understanding that the Marriott Tri is approx 9% over budget at the moment and having trouble bringing the numbers down shovel in the ground.

Side note: Ace Hotel on Printer's Alley should officially start in April.

Edited by Granthammond
  • Like 4

I look for a correction of the real estate prices to occur soon. Some of the prices being asked were inflated, IMO. I believe that many of these developers were overpaying for property that has caused them to be up side down with the budget they had in place.

We are due for a bit of a slow down, just to be able to adsorb what has been built and what is under construction. That's not to mention what is in the pipeline,however, some of that can be ready to come on line at the start of the next cycle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I look for a correction of the real estate prices to occur soon. Some of the prices being asked were inflated, IMO. I believe that many of these developers were overpaying for property that has caused them to be up side down with the budget they had in place.

We are due for a bit of a slow down, just to be able to adsorb what has been built and what is under construction. That's not to mention what is in the pipeline,however, some of that can be ready to come on line at the start of the next cycle.

Is the JW Marriott included as projects you think won't happen in this current cycle? IE they put the project on hold after the demolition.

19 hours ago, PHofKS said:

Don't forget about the Wildhorse Saloon opening in the 80's which I personally know increased property values on Second Avenue instantly. The widening of Commerce Street and eliminating the dogleg at 3rd Avenue preceded the Convention Center (80's), 34 story Marriott Hotel (80's), and AT&T (90's) and allowed for upgrading of the area.

What is the dogleg you refer to?  Just curious.  

Warby Parker will occupy the 7th and 8th floors of the L&C Tower for 250 employees.http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2016/01/warby-parker-doubles-nashville-office-space.html

"A newly filed building permit discloses forthcoming renovations of about 13,000 square feet for Warby Parker, which means the company is more than doubling its existing footprint. Warby Parker will occupy the entire seventh and eighth floors of the tower, according to a source familiar with Warby Parker's plans. " 

• Like 4