Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

14 hours ago, markhollin said:

Looks like some resolve is happening to the Greyhound property issue for the Division Street Connector:

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/infrastructure/article/20488554/metro-considers-alternative-to-eminent-domain-for-division-extension

Now I'm sure some smart person in Metro was already considering this...but their solution is pretty much exactly what I suggested a month ago. It makes so much sense that I'm honestly a bit surprised that they didn't propose it from the outset. 

• Like 3

From today's Tennessean, Alex Marks and Bill Barkley have requested additional TIF money for the Utopia Hotel project at Printers Alley, from $5.5 (already approved) to $6.5 million (MDHA Development Board recommended). Goes before full MDHA board next week.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson%20/2016/01/27/more-public-financing-likely-printers-alley-project/79436740/

"No exterior construction work has started on the project after it was first announced in August of 2014. Including the Utopia building, the development plan would affect four buildings between Fourth Avenue South and Printers Alley. The Embers building, which is eligible for the National Historic Registry, would also be preserved. Buildings that house Kebab Gyros and Taste of Italy would be torn down."

• Like 1

Swiss banking giant UBS leases another floor at downtown tower, from The Tennessean: http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/01/27/ubs-leases-another-floor-downtown-nashville-tower/79422246/

Swiss bank's Nashville business solutions center operations can now accommodate 1,728 employees, up from 1,528.

635895136345971387-ubstower.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

From today's Tennessean, Alex Marks and Bill Barkley have requested additional TIF money for the Utopia Hotel project at Printers Alley, from $5.5 (already approved) to $6.5 million (MDHA Development Board recommended). Goes before full MDHA board next week.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson%20/2016/01/27/more-public-financing-likely-printers-alley-project/79436740/

"No exterior construction work has started on the project after it was first announced in August of 2014. Including the Utopia building, the development plan would affect four buildings between Fourth Avenue South and Printers Alley. The Embers building, which is eligible for the National Historic Registry, would also be preserved. Buildings that house Kebab Gyros and Taste of Italy would be torn down."

I will say there are several other proposed hotel projects that are way over budget. From what I have been told the cost of labor is killing them as we do not have enough contractors and sub contractors to handle the work and the surrounding tier 1 and 2 cities have as much work as they can handle.

So skilled construction labor is a problem here.

• Like 1

^ ^ ^ MDHA rezoned those three parcels for up to 30 stories each.  Each plot is large enough that they could support at least 2 structures apiece.  It was reported that at least 4 major developers were interested when MDHA announced their availability 3-4 months ago.  They were told to come up with their plans and present them to MDHA last fall…so it appears we are getting close to some presentations.  

The deadline was extended to mid-January because MDHA included the land that Lifeway was originally I intending to use. I assume the proposals are in, we just haven't seen them yet.  It was reported that Emery and Giarratanna were both involved and planning on proposals.  

• Like 1

My apologies if this has already been discussed (I'm new to town), but does anyone know if the Renaissance's new paint job will eventually spread to cover the entire building? Even though I like the Two-Face vibe it's got right now, the OCD in me is slightly bothered by the mismatched color scheme.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, VSRJ said:

My apologies if this has already been discussed (I'm new to town), but does anyone know if the Renaissance's new paint job will eventually spread to cover the entire building? Even though I like the Two-Face vibe it's got right now, the OCD in me is slightly bothered by the mismatched color scheme.

Thank you!! It's been bugging me to. Perhaps they are waiting for warmer weather. 

Re: First Baptist selling the lot at NE corner of Demonbreun and 8th Ave….all I can say is, "it's about time!"  Very, very curious as to who bought it.  Certainly one of the PRIME spots in all of CDB/SoBro.  My guess is that it will be a major hotel. 

And the lot right across the street (the surface parking on the NW corner) will be noteworthy for decades to come, too. Anxious to see how it all unfolds in the next several years.  

• Like 1

On 1/29/2016 at 9:02 PM, BnaBreaker said:

Please though folks, no more than thirty stories.  Let's not get crazy here.  As we all know, the primary goal of all cities should be to have the flattest skyline possible!  From a distance, it should ideally have the appearance of a giant two-by-four!

Seriously though, I thought FAA governed height due to flight paths.. is that not the reason for the 30 story limit? If not MHDA has just gone full potato.

8 hours ago, claya91 said:

Seriously though, I thought FAA governed height due to flight paths.. is that not the reason for the 30 story limit? If not MHDA has just gone full potato.

I still don't understand why the FAA feels like it needs a 2500' clearance over the top of a building downtown.  

It's not MDHA setting the height resrictions, it is the downtown code that governs how tall a building is based on height. There are only a couple of place the height is unlimited downtown. 

The FFA just nixed a building in Seattle due to height restrictions based on aircraft. Just because the FFA does not give you clearance for the building does not mean you can't build it,  you just can't insure it, which means no one will give you the loan most likely.

• Like 1

I'm an Airline Transport Pilot and I don't either. Ostensibly, I think it has something to do with single-engine climb performance (on a multi-engine plane) after takeoff from Runway 31 at BNA, but when you take-off on Runway 13L or 13R at Dallas Love Field you have more buildings that are taller than those in downtown Nashville that could be in the flight path. If the FAA hasn't restricted building heights in Dallas, then why do they do it in Nashville? It seems like a double standard to me.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, fxvol said:

I'm an Airline Transport Pilot and I don't either. Ostensibly, I think it has something to do with single-engine climb performance (on a multi-engine plane) after takeoff from Runway 31 at BNA, but when you take-off on Runway 13L or 13R at Dallas Love Field you have more buildings that are taller than those in downtown Nashville that could be in the flight path. If the FAA hasn't restricted building heights in Dallas, then why do they do it in Nashville? It seems like a double standard to me.

I live here in Dallas and there's a proposal in the Harwood District, roughly along Field St & Cedar Springs, for a 1,000ft+ tower and the initial report denied the variance, but a deeper study is ongoing. Which makes no sense because it sits at a lower grade and is not even a half mile from our tallest, BOA Plaza at 925ft!