Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/urban-development/article/20488867/sobro-could-land-embassy-suites-hotel

From the Nashville  post

Merrillville, Ind.-based hotel developer White/Peterman Properties Inc. and some investors will team to develop what could be a 16-story, 400-room Embassy Suites by Hilton, with a 250-room boutique hotel possibly part of the effort, giving the project a two-tower form, according to the morning daily.

More details more might  be a two tower  design 

Edited by chris holman

14 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Is there any chance the city will/can outright reject the ES and design for that location?

I was wondering the same thing. It seems like other building/design restrictions are in place, so why couldn't the city demand something that's more visually appealing (even though good design is subjective). For such a high-profile site, I hope we get something that (at the very least) doesn't look completely out of place.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Is there any chance the city will/can outright reject the ES and design for that location?

I don't even think this is in a redevelopment district. I may be wrong, but  the bar is not that high. If they own the property and it meets all codes, then they can build what they want.

An example is the Hyatt Place and that was in a redevelopment district and you see what we got.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VSRJ said:

I was wondering the same thing. It seems like other building/design restrictions are in place, so why couldn't the city demand something that's more visually appealing (even though good design is subjective). For such a high-profile site, I hope we get something that (at the very least) doesn't look completely out of place.

I don't think so.  Not as long as it meets all the zoning requirements, etc. I don't believe there are any "style" guidelines in that area like you have on Broadway and in the historic districts.  I could be wrong.

• Like 1

Chances are likely that this hotel will follow the new generation of Embassy Suites by Hilton design. They don't build atrium-type properties these days because of the wasted space and amount of energy needed to heat/cool them (although it could be if the development company re-purposes a previous design).

51 minutes ago, VSRJ said:

If this were the design, I would be delighted, but alas...this is Nashville where we still feel grateful for a 13  story Hyatt just to fill a surface lot. I miss the Rock City Machine building, and again, if we do not set the bar higher for high rise architecture, we might as well let Travis Kelty build the guitar tower.

In any case, the only hope is we eventually have buildings built around these i.e Cambria, Embassy and the other, so we cannot se them. They should be forced to at least compliment the design of the MCC, The Lutheran Church, and surrounding architecture.

I would rather have surface lots than suburban trash.

• Like 2

Five Star Realty and White/Peterman have said they will build an Embassy Suites by Hilton will contain 400 rooms. Plans also call for about 250 more in a second building with an undetermined hotel brand that could wind up being a boutique hotel.

This is what I've been reading from the Business Journal they're saying it's a going to be two buildings for the embassy suite and a 250 room boutique

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chris holman said:

Five Star Realty and White/Peterman have said they will build an Embassy Suites by Hilton will contain 400 rooms. Plans also call for about 250 more in a second building with an undetermined hotel brand that could wind up being a boutique hotel.

This is what I've been reading from the Business Journal they're saying it's a going to be two buildings for the embassy suite and a 250 room boutique

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/urban-development/article/20488867/sobro-could-land-embassy-suites-hotel

The post 

And speaking of hotels. The Marks project at the Utopia hotel has received additional MDHA incentives to make it viable. Looks like it will be moving forward.  

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2016/02/public-aid-helps-erase-budget-gap-in-printers.html

Plans for a boutique hotel in downtown Nashville's historic Printers Alley appear close to being back on track, following the injection of additional capital and public aid into the project.

If these four boutiques around Printers Alley get built, I predict this area to be the next "HOT" area of town.  

Can anyone here give me an update on these hotels: the one in the 1970s tower at Union and 4th Ave? the one in the 1970s midrise adjacent to this Utopia (Marks) project? the one in the early 20th century Noel Hotel at the corner of Church and 4th?  And while we're on this subject, what is the status of the 21c hotel? 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

We need more affordable hotel rooms in the urban core. Does this hotel help fill that need at all? What are some good examples of affordable hotels that aren't cheaply done? This hotel does not qualify at all. 

With the ugly Comfort Inn on Demonbreun Hill renting rooms for $355 / night during busy times, I'd say there is no such thing as affordable rooms anywhere near downtown.

• Like 2

On February 1, 2016 at 1:27 PM, smeagolsfree said:

I don't even think this is in a redevelopment district. I may be wrong, but  the bar is not that high. If they own the property and it meets all codes, then they can build what they want.

An example is the Hyatt Place and that was in a redevelopment district and you see what we got.

Unfortunately in the next few years when say 20 new high rise build are built we will have a few ugly ducklings.  It is even worse when they are located on prominent sites.  And then if it is 15 stories tall - Puke ....   Nashville needs to praise the better architectural developments and trash talk the poor quality projects.  I think is is good to trash the ugly esthetics of Hyatt Place.    

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Can anyone here give me an update on these hotels: the one in the 1970s tower at Union and 4th Ave? the one in the 1970s midrise adjacent to this Utopia (Marks) project? the one in the early 20th century Noel Hotel at the corner of Church and 4th?  And while we're on this subject, what is the status of the 21c hotel? 

Ace Hotel (Utopia & Embers site) will be late April/early May 2016. Switched contractor, caused some delay. 

• Like 3

The 4th and Union Building was built in 1968 and was the original home to Metropolitan Federal. It was under contract for two years and there was a delay dealing with payments. In any case, it will be the Fairlane Hotel and they have already started working on it. They are adding a crown on top. The rendering is on this site somewhere.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/10/05/fairlane-hotel-planned-former-downtown-nashville-bank/73381734/

1 hour ago, Granthammond said:

Ace Hotel (Utopia & Embers site) will be late April/early May 2016. Switched contractor, caused some delay. 

21C Museum hotel has been under innovations for at least 6 months. The interior demolition is finished, now the real work begins looking for structural problems etc.

• Like 2