Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

I remain unconvinced that this bridge will have enough visibility to really connect the Music City Center roundabout to the Gulch. It will basically go from Cummins Station's parking lot to the Back side of Velocity, right? That's why people have a hard time seeing it as anything other than a secret passageway for Gulch residents. If I am reading the map correctly, there are quite a few buildings that are going to stand or be built between the bridge and the roundabout, including a really large hotel. If this bridge did a better job of aligning with streets in a more obvious way, I might get more excited about the connectivity aspect. As it is, the least complicated route from downtown/SOBRO would be to stay on Demonbreun and hang a left at 10th Ave South. The other streets are pretty narrow, and as they receive more development, they will get less friendly for bikes, not more, owing to increased traffic.

But again, I just don't see tons of pedestrians seeing a clear line to get to this bridge from downtown, and so at that point they might as well stay on Demonbreun and use the Gulch Crossings stairs.

One other question: what is the policy going to be for blocking this bridge for weddings and events? That really is how I see this being used: as an event space.

If I am not mistaken, the HighLine was an abandoned elevated rail line to begin with. So refurbishing something that is already constructed and is otherwise an eyesore is totally different from creating something from scratch that serves a limited geographic area that already has several access points.

Edited by bwithers1

Perfectly reasoned and well worded response to the Gulch bridge issue!  Sadly, short of an uprising from Metro residents to their council representatives, I see little to stop this "bridge to nowhere."  As a long time resident of the Donelson area, I've been supportive and proud of the investments our city has made in downtown--upgrades and additions to the riverfront, the new convention center, additional parking options, Church Street Park, contributions toward the construction of the symphony hall, etc.,  but I do NOT support this project.  It is far too expensive and serves much too limited a purpose.

You kill me softly, ruraljuror, with your mention of specific elements in the Gulch and in SoBro that stand to benefit from greater connectivity. 

But, my fellow urbanplanet...ers, I'm a bit disgruntled that I didn't receive such emphatic accord when I (perhaps too subtly?) presented the very same argument earlier.

:cry:

• Like 1

Hopefully they will modify the benches, etc. to make them less appealing for overnight "guests". I typically shortcut through there when I bike to work and can't remember a morning with less than three individuals passed out at various locations within the park. Their presence can't be good for tourist foot-traffic.

• Like 1

You kill me softly, ruraljuror, with your mention of specific elements in the Gulch and in SoBro that stand to benefit from greater connectivity. 

But, my fellow urbanplanet...ers, I'm a bit disgruntled that I didn't receive such emphatic accord when I (perhaps too subtly?) presented the very same argument earlier.

:cry:

Well ruraljuror paid me and you didn't!

• Like 2

So...I wonder what the church's issue with the two offers was?  Both offers met the minimum money (at least $15 Mil)...so it must be something like allowing the church X number of parking spaces in the hotel's parking structure?

Since we are on the topic of bridges....I was riding to the Titans game Sunday from Percy Warner Park. When I got to downtown they would not let me on either the Pedestrian bridge or Woodland St bridge unless I walked my bike.  I get that there are lots of people on the Pedestrian, so I was going to avoid that anyways, but it makes no sense to me on why I could not go on the Woodland. (which is closed to traffic on gameday). I had to ride across James Roberston, which was VERY sketchy because of all the stop and go traffic. This really has nothing to do with the topic, just my frustration with how little the city seems to care for cyclist. 

Side note: It is much easier to get to the Gulch going 8th than Demonbreun since you are just taking right hand turns. Demonberun is not the best once you get past 12 ave since there are so many people merging onto and off the road. 

Visitor here from the Columbia, SC forum. I'll be in Nashville this weekend for South Carolina's game with Vandy, and was hoping for some suggestions on "must try" bars and restaurants. I've been to your fair city twice, and it is really a jewel! I've been looking forward to my return for months. We are staying on Demonbreun, and this will be our first time outside the main tourist area around Broadway. I am really wanting to explore the Gulch, and hope that our hotel will be well situated to doing that on foot. Thanks in advance for any advice.    

Visitor here from the Columbia, SC forum. I'll be in Nashville this weekend for South Carolina's game with Vandy, and was hoping for some suggestions on "must try" bars and restaurants. I've been to your fair city twice, and it is really a jewel! I've been looking forward to my return for months. We are staying on Demonbreun, and this will be our first time outside the main tourist area around Broadway. I am really wanting to explore the Gulch, and hope that our hotel will be well situated to doing that on foot. Thanks in advance for any advice.    

Enjoy your visit!  Sounds like you will be close enough to easily explore the Gulch and the rest of downtown by foot.  Lots of food and bar options.  Here's a link to most in or near the Gulch.  I really like Sambuca and The Pub, though I also hear great things about 404 and Kayne Prime.  Be sure to check out the Yazoo or Jackalope brewery tap rooms.  Also, you can use the free green circulator bus to get around the area.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/n/47/6753/Nashville/The-Gulch-restaurants

Edited by Nashville Cliff

Hello and I hope you enjoy our wonderful city. If you are staying at the Comfort Inn on Demonbreun, there are a ton of bars/restaurants right across the Street (Tin roof, Two Bits -a bar that has old school video games, Dan Mcguinness, just to name a few). Also the gulch is about two blocks from that hotel.

Take a look at the following webistes and they may help you plan your stay:

http://www.explorethegulch.com/ (my favorites are Whiskey kitchen, Hops+Crafts, and Cantina Laredo)

http://www.thrillist.com/nashville

Edited by nashmoney

I'd suggest instead catching a cab to No. 308 or Holland House, both in East Nashville, and having an expertly crafted cocktail without all the smug attitude.

I actually haven't been to Patterson House, although it's on my short list. I just wanted to respond to agree with you 100% about Holland House. They make some mighty fine drinks there. Every now and then my wife and I walk down just for a cocktail and nothing else.

• Like 1