Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Colorful Music City banners placed on the gray substation building behind the police precinct on KVB.  Dazzles up the building, I suppose.

Finally noticed this a few days ago once you mentioned it. While not really useful for much else, I think it does a lot to add some visual interest to that otherwise nondescript structure. That side of KVB needs all the help it can get.

VFW thanks for the article. I have no doubt that there are numerous traffic variables at play when the lane configurations are adjusted. I would observe that I do not believe NYC is an apple to apple case study of the impact that Nashville will experience. I say that because it is obvious that NYC has a robust street grid that allows for easy route shifting (read: as congestion increases cars simple reroute) and also the scale of the traffic lanes to bike/modal lanes are simply not comparable to Nashville. The examples listed in the article detail the following transformations  -

4-Traffic and 1-Parking to 4-Traffic and 1-Parking and 1 bike lane with a buffer (no traffic lanes were lost and yet they are tooting their horn here? silly)

3-Traffic 1-AM Traffic/Park 1-Park and 1 Bike Lane to 4-Traffic 2-Park and 1-bike lane and buffer (again nothing really changes)

5-Traffic and 2 - Park to 3-Traffic 2-Park 1-Bike Lane and buffer and 1-dedicated bus lane (however this config noted a slight delay)

I assert that taking traffic lanes four or five is massively different from taking traffic lanes 1 or 2.....

Edited by Guest

I do think Nashville is a unique situation (narrow major roads compared to many other cities, spoke and wheel corridors, terrain challenges). Our solutions need to be Nashville-specific.

That is not to say we can't learn or even apply lessons or ideas from other cities.

I will say that I don't believe the number of lanes is the main issue...signal coordination, intersection design, and merge lanes all contribute heavily.

• Like 1

Taylor Place very much looks like a modern college hall.  Like one of the newer buildings you would see at UT.

Not really a bad thing....just...interesting.

You're right.  And I'm OK with that there.  When you have a tremendously large "campus" environment like Werthan, it can be tough to break up and arrange massing to allow pedestrian paths so that the sheer massing does not overpower a space.  But that skybridge sure does create an interesting, and yes "collegiate," atmosphere. 

Edited by bwithers1

You're right.  And I'm OK with that there.  When you have a tremendously large "campus" environment like Werthan, it can be tough to break up and arrange massing to allow pedestrian paths so as not to overpower a space.  But that skybridge sure does create an interesting, and yes "collegiate," atmosphere. 

It's not apparent from the photograph, but that skybridge appears to be a gym.  It's full of exercise equipment.  

I would recommend the Gulch residents and businesses vote themselves an extra tax to pay for bridge. It is an amenity, a very nice one, but an amenity that is not needed since there will be connectivity with the new Bank of Nashville building.

Edited by Guest

I would recommend the Gulch residents and businesses vote themselves an extra tax to pay for bridge. It is an amenity, a very nice one, but an amenity that is not needed since there will be connectivity with the new Bank of Nashville building.

Good point.  I forgot about the new stairs going in; however, those won't be as accessible as a pedestrian/bike bridge.  I know the Gulch has a special assessment now, similar to what you have Downtown. I wonder if some of that could be used for a bridge.

Developers and business owners in the Gulch and SoBro can establish a fund to erect this lovely structure. There is perfectly good connection via the Demonbreun Street viaduct. This is essentially a vanity piece! (In my "never to be humble" opinion.)

The Gulch is essentially a collection of vanity pieces.

• Like 2

I am in agreement that this is a nice project but is more of a "vanity" piece than a connectivity essential.  I agreed with the Council's disallowance of paying for this out of the countywide sidewalk/road repair budget during FY14. That was precisely the wrong way to pay for that.  But I was pretty sure that this one made it into the Capital Improvements Budget for FY15, which seems like a more appropriate funding route assuming that the majority of the Council voted for that CIB ordinance.

But the MDHA announcement does intrigue me.  Since this pertains to the MDHA Arts Center Redevelopment District, is there no TIF money to dedicate to this project?

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

Developers and business owners in the Gulch and SoBro can establish a fund to erect this lovely structure. There is perfectly good connection via the Demonbreun Street viaduct. This is essentially a vanity piece! (In my "never to be humble" opinion.)

I entirely disagree that Gulch Crossings is an equal substitute. If you live/work/play anywhere near the MCC, it would take you two to three times longer to walk via Demonbreun and the stairs at Gulch Crossings vs. crossing this bridge. Granted it's an improvement from the way things are now, but still not adequate in my opinion.

In my own personal experience, the Demonbreun viaduct is a major vehicle thoroughfare with heavy traffic, inadequate sidewalks and is a long, barren expanse of pavement that is not particularly welcoming to the average pedestrian. Add on that it takes 10-15 minutes just to walk that distance to get to the heart of the Gulch and...nobody does it. Perception is everything to pedestrians and I believe very strongly that a proposal such as this bridge will dramatically affect that perception, changing both neighborhoods for the better.

Edited by Vrtigo
  • Like 3

The large project that spans almost the entire block from 3rd-4th at Monroe is on the docket for Thursday's Planning Commission hearing.  There are basically two large buildings:  the 4th Ave building and the 3rd Ave building.  The staff notes point out that the Germantown HPZ design guidelines will likely limit the height of the two buildings to less than five stories.

According to Google Maps walking directions, it is a sixteen minute walk from 501 Demonbreun Street (the front corner of the Music City Center) to the Station Inn. (and this is without the addition of the stairs at the Gulch Crossing)  The construction of the very expensive pedestrian bridge will not make it any closer!  Enhance the streetscape of the viaduct for a fraction of the price of the new structure, if there is a need to entice folks to walk 0.6 mile to get to the Gulch!  (The addition of the new hotels at 8th & Demonbreun will also do a lot to change the perception of that stretch of sidewalk, I should think.)

Edited by donNdonelson2

Well I think any map will prove your time estimate incorrect. If you are at the MCC's front door (Demonbreun and 5th Ave. S) it will take you less time to travel to Turnip Truck using the existing infrastructure. The sidewalk across the existing viaduct is plenty wide IMO. I walk it several times a week. 

With the new Crossings Development a pedestrian will even be able to bypass most of the viaduct.

BTW, I agree it is not an equal substitute but maybe we do not need a Bentley solution..... at least not one paid for by the government. They can easily start a special taxing district and get tho string built.

I entirely disagree that Gulch Crossings is an equal substitute. If you live/work/play anywhere near the MCC, it would take you two to three times longer to walk via Demonbreun and the stairs at Gulch Crossings vs. crossing this bridge. Granted it's an improvement from the way things are now, but still not adequate in my opinion.

In my own personal experience, the Demonbreun viaduct is a major vehicle thoroughfare with heavy traffic, inadequate sidewalks and is a long, barren expanse of pavement that is not particularly welcoming to the average pedestrian. Add on that it takes 10-15 minutes just to walk that distance to get to the heart of the Gulch and...nobody does it. Perception is everything to pedestrians and I believe very strongly that a proposal such as this bridge will dramatically affect that perception, changing both neighborhoods for the better.

Edited by Guest