Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

If only Nissan had stuck with DT, we could have the two right next to each other.

Nissan's movement to the area was one of the big things that kickstarted this city, but there's a part of me that wonders what would have happened if they had located here three or four years ago instead. Would they be downtown, or would they have still chosen the sprawling 'burbs?

My recollection is that Nissan always planned to move to north Alabama or as it is locally known, Cool Springs.  The use of the batman building was just temporary pending the construction of their building.  Too bad that Nashville didn't fight hard enough to keep them in Davidson county, and it is an outrage that state development funds were used to "lure" them to Williamson, instead of either Davidson or Rutherford counties.

THIS COULD BE HUGE....A GAMECHANGER

Even though this would leave a huge vacany in the airport area, I would love to see a Fortune 500 company like Bridgestone move to Downtown.

Out of the old convention center development, WES, Sheet Music, and 505CST, I would love to see them in 505CST.

However, with their lease up in 2017, It looks like Convention Center or WES would be the frontrunners, since all Alex has to do is drain the lake, and Pat Emery seems to already have the team in place to get the ball rolling. All he needs is a signed committment for financing.

This will be interesting to see how it plays out. I just hope they don't go to Franklin Park or Ovation in Franklin.

Out of all of these, Sheet Music makes the most sense. 505CST would be too skinny for office space, WES would be two towers, old convention center would take a while to demolish and build. Sheet Music could go right up, plus it would be on prominent display by the river.
  • Like 1

^ Exactly. Sheet Music is pretty much shovel ready. WES would require A LOT of reworking for the site plan and the Embrey plan timeline doesn't make the best use of time because it's deliverability date has been roughly 2018 or so, if I remember correctly. If I were in charge, my most logical choice is Sheet Music in terms of timeline, location, and visibility as a stunning new tower that is unmatched in not just the Nashville market, but the entire state that truly commands that this is a Fortune 500 corporate HQ.

• Like 1

Should we read anything into Emery's announcement of being in talks with Oliver McMillan on the same day as the Bridgestone news? Could be a coincidence but maybe not.

They were the only name mentioned in the news story I watched about Bridgestone, so I'm not sure if that's an indication of the front runner or channel 5 just didn't have all the info. They were a bit distracted by the small riot in Bordeaux.

I do remember Tony saying that he was in talks with an international company when first talking about Sheet Music. Though he said this company would need 200,000 sqft, with another 50,000 sqft for growth. Maybe this is the international company and they just changed their requirements. Landing a company who needs 400,000 sqft should be a pretty easy layup for financing a tower. Well, for most developers.....

• Like 3

My recollection is that Nissan always planned to move to north Alabama or as it is locally known, Cool Springs.  The use of the batman building was just temporary pending the construction of their building.  Too bad that Nashville didn't fight hard enough to keep them in Davidson county, and it is an outrage that state development funds were used to "lure" them to Williamson, instead of either Davidson or Rutherford counties.

While I agree that it would have been great to keep them in the cbd I do not understand your last statement at all.  If you are outraged that state funds were used to lure them to williamson over davidson, than what is different about rutherford?  and outrage seems a little excessive.  how would you have felt if they went to wilson or sumner?

also, I may have some news on this project myself to share on saturday.

edit:  news about bridgestone moving

Edited by volsfanwill
  • Like 1

Not sure what to make of this. Not much information on the partnership nor the hotel ...

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/09/04/new-boutique-hotel-planned-lower-broadway/15087603/

I believe this proposal is within the block where we saw announcements for development of a Westin, a Hyatt AND a Walgreens.  I hope the chorus of naysayers don't run off another project on this location in favor of saving the questionably "historic" buildings on the property.  (I'm all for saving buildings, but there's not really much there of any particular merit, IMHO.)

• Like 2

I believe this proposal is within the block where we saw announcements for development of a Westin, a Hyatt AND a Walgreens.  I hope the chorus of naysayers don't run off another project on this location in favor of saving the questionably "historic" buildings on the property.  (I'm all for saving buildings, but there's not really much there of any particular merit, IMHO.)

The article makes it sound like the current buildings will be incorporated with the entrance on Third Ave, where the former records storage building is, and ground level retail on the first floor. The Trail West building is not a part of this project.

Not sure what to make of this. Not much information on the partnership nor the hotel ...

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/09/04/new-boutique-hotel-planned-lower-broadway/15087603/

Will it be a musical hotel?

If not....MUST CRUSH PROPOSAL! NOT NASHVILLE ENOUGH FOR LOWER BROAD!

It does look as if the Trail West building is in the footprint. The address given is 215 and Trail West is 219, however the 2 store fronts in the next building are 209 and 211. I think maybe there are three addresses with the Trail West building being 215,217, and 219. Not 100% sure, but take a look at Google street view. The building right behind would be part of the project too.

I think they have to incorporate the buildings into the project. Again, not real sure how the overlay works.

Reading the article, it seems clear they will be renovating and using the existing buildings for the hotel.  Sounds like a good way to maintain the historic structures and still inject life into that part of Broad, though I'm sure the skyscraper fetishists won't be happy that we're not getting a tower on lower Broad.  At least not there; at least not yet.

I guess I also was unclear... the article contained no information on the flag for the hotel (maybe unknown but it could have stated that fact) , nor did it include any information detailing this groups current hospitality developments (if any) that would have allowed us to discern the quality and scope of the development. This particular area has been so troubled by start and stop proposals that IMO the article should have sought to detail the principals development experience. But yes, it does sound like the investment group that now owns the listed properties will incorporate them into some type of finished product... whatever that may be.

Edited by Guest

If you are outraged that state funds were used to lure them to williamson over davidson, than what is different about rutherford?  and outrage seems a little excessive.  how would you have felt if they went to wilson or sumner?

The use of state incentives to get a company to move to one of the wealthiest counties in the country, with the fastest growth rate in the region and the lowest unemployment in the state?  If not outrageous, then what?

If incentives are necessary [a debatable prospect], why not downtown Nashville, or if Nissan insists on a suburban location, why not areas that need development, such as the area near Nissan's plant - Smyrna, Antioch, or Lavergne?

Short answer, Williamson didn't need the help.

• Like 2

The short answers is, from everything we know about the Nissan relocation, it was WillCo or nothing. The question on the table was what could TN do to lure a major international company from Cali to TN...and not just anywhere in TN but WillCo.

The Nissan executives wanted exactly what WillCo provides..... low taxes, great public schools, plenty of retail offerings, a suburban corporate-campus, and safe environment. It was a much easier sale for the employees that decided to relocate from Cali and for recruiting the best talent moving forward. 

Econ development in rural areas works better with industrial/manufacturing jobs not Corp. HQs.

The use of state incentives to get a company to move to one of the wealthiest counties in the country, with the fastest growth rate in the region and the lowest unemployment in the state?  If not outrageous, then what?

If incentives are necessary [a debatable prospect], why not downtown Nashville, or if Nissan insists on a suburban location, why not areas that need development, such as the area near Nissan's plant - Smyrna, Antioch, or Lavergne?

Short answer, Williamson didn't need the help.

Edited by Guest