Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

I would imagine most churches downtown find that as the DT grows, their land becomes more and more valuable...thus the temptation to sell the land and go build something nicer with better parking and less congestion a few miles out.

Of course, there's a lot of differences between actual churches and gospel publishing houses.

Edited by titanhog

In regards to the Lifeway site. Good for them if they can get the deal done, but where would they go? Just imagine. The religious publishers who once anchored downtown will all be gone now. The Methodists and Baptists are leaving. The AMEC on 8th May sell their building too I have heard. There were many others.

Church attendance is dwindling and many of the older congregations who are down to a dozen members or so will be selling their lots as well. The Braeden United Methodist on Main Street in East Nashville will have a neighbor on the same lot; a row of town homes.

The face of the city is definitely changing.

Not really an accurate statement about churches. As has already been mentioned, the downtown churches can sell and build elsewhere. I don't see churches as a whole in Nashville leaving anytime soon. Many churches continue to expand and grow at large rates.

I'm surprised nobody has started screaming for an IKEA at the LifeWay property....

But seriously, how great would this area be for just retail? All these people moving downtown will need to shop....

Edited by satalac

an ikea parking lot at THAT location? no thanks.

If, in fantasy world, Ikea built here, they could do like the one in ATL and have a parking deck that the building sits on top of.  This area would be well suited for an arrangement like that.  

• Like 1

I would imagine most churches downtown find that as the DT grows, their land becomes more and more valuable...thus the temptation to sell the land and go build something nicer with better parking and less congestion a few miles out.

Of course, there's a lot of differences between actual churches and gospel publishing houses.

On the contrary. Many of the churches have stayed put and will continue to stay downtown as the mission of the church is to church the churchless and homeless communities. First Baptist and The Belmont Church on Music Row are two to name a few, that are excited about the growth of the area. Money is not a motivator for most of them. I would hate to see the older churches leave, as these are also architectural treasures.

The publishing houses I can see moving as most are anyway. That mission can be done at any location.

• Like 4

I have yet to receive an email back from the councilmember regarding the Lee Chapel AME project.....

I called zoning today and got bumped around to the person who is reviewing the parking lot. They sent it back to have impervious pavers instead of asphalt. I guess that's a plus. I couldn't get anyone in planning about the actual new church being built but I sent an email to the planning commission.

I know most of y'all aren't up in this neighborhood - but I can't express how ridiculously out of scale this thug is compared to what's around it. If they built the church up to the street, Id feel a bit better. I'd love it if some of y'all with more experience could help point me in the right directions to make sure this thing doesn't just get rubber stamped.

• Like 1

Admittedly, I don't know squat about the publishing businesss. But why would a publisher even need downtown offices? I mean, there are certainly advantages for the workforce, but I can't see how it would help the business in a logistical sense. Would it be better for them where land is cheap?

Don't get me wrong. I don't necessarily want them to leave. That area may be a little dead, but it's high density and they seem to be good neighbors. I guess I just think they would jump at the payout they could get for the land & buildings.

It sounded from the story as though they're not using all the space now.  It is obviously very valuable and I'd be surprised if they didn't sell at least some of it.  The space occupied by the bookstore on Broad would be much better as a mixed use tower, likewise where the property touches Church, it's not the best use for that land. 

• Like 1

This is one of the items I knew about and had to keep mum on. This is the sliver lot @ 12th & Division. I have heard some rumors about this site. Well' maybe more than rumors. I just saw the surveyors there and told William.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2014/8/15/gulch_site_surveyed

Here is a related story done by William at the Post about the Cambria Suites. There is also a rendering of the property in DC. On a related note the employees at the Goodyear say they just signed a new three year lease last week. Not sure what is up with that.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2014/8/15/nashville_could_land_urban_cambria_suites_hotel

This is one of the items I knew about and had to keep mum on. This is the sliver lot @ 12th & Division. I have heard some rumors about this site. Well' maybe more than rumors. I just saw the surveyors there and told William.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2014/8/15/gulch_site_surveyed

How "tall" are these rumors?   :whistling:

• Like 1

This has nothing to do with Barista Parlor in particular, as I'm sure it's a fine establishment.  But I'm worried though that the general consensus in Nashville is still that urban living is nothing more than a 'hip' trend which, at it's core, is really about nothing more than being able to live closer to designer coffee shops and organic taco stands.  I'm not convinced yet that it has really caught on as an actual way of life and/or standard of development that has a far more important and complex purpose than simply living somewhere that other people deem to be "cool."  Don't get me wrong.  I am exceedingly thrilled with the amount of development happening in Nashville right now, and all of the creative small businesses that have sprung up as a result.  It does worry me, however, that in most of Nashville's neighborhoods it's likely easier to find a $100 free trade bracelet hand-crafted by Indonesian pygmies or a cup of imported Madagascar coffee than it is to find a roll of toilet paper or stick of butter. 

I don't know about that, now.  We have a suburban-style strip-mall outparcel Walgreens/CVS/Rite Aid on every corner in this town.  And don't forget that we are the world headquarters of Dollar General.  There might be a free-trade ETSY store here or there in any given "hipster" neighborhood, but they are way, far outnumbered by all kinds of convenience stores where toilet paper and sticks of butter can be found easily and cheaply.  Even in Five Points, there is a Family Dollar across the street from Turnip Truck.  Rest easy.

I have yet to receive an email back from the councilmember regarding the Lee Chapel AME project.....

I called zoning today and got bumped around to the person who is reviewing the parking lot. They sent it back to have impervious pavers instead of asphalt. I guess that's a plus. I couldn't get anyone in planning about the actual new church being built but I sent an email to the planning commission.

I know most of y'all aren't up in this neighborhood - but I can't express how ridiculously out of scale this thug is compared to what's around it. If they built the church up to the street, Id feel a bit better. I'd love it if some of y'all with more experience could help point me in the right directions to make sure this thing doesn't just get rubber stamped.

CM Edith Taylor Langster is not going to tangle with a church, let me tell you that right now.  Just sayin.' 

I am struggling to picture this.  There was something at a recent Planning Commission hearing about combining lots for a parking lot, but I though that was for Meharry.  Does Heiman Street ring a bell?  Sorry, I'm exhausted at this particular moment.

I noticed dirt moving for real today on Salemtown Cottages.    Looks like this is finally underway.   

Has anyone discussed this one yet?  It's an Aerial cottage development on 4th Ave North in Salemtown.  This is the MHZC staff report for this Wednesday's hearing http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/MHZC/docs/2014%20Meetings/08%20Aug%2020/SR%201706-1708%204th%20Ave%20N,%202014,%20infill.pdf

The way it works in Historic with cottage develoments is that the Council approves the rezoning for the number and layout of the number of units, and then MHZC approves the actual buildings based on the design guidelines.  MHZC will tend to require that rear buildings be subordinate to the ones facing the street.  See the staff notes.

• Like 1