505 CST - 545 feet - 45 Floors

smeagolsfree

Personally I think the rounded setback is kind of tacky and looks like a tiny hat trying to fit on a fat head. It's a design element reminiscent of the 1990's.

The flat top looks clean and elegant and makes the tower seem taller relative to the buildings nearby.

5053.jpg

5054.jpg

Edited by NashvilleObserver
  • Like 3

OK, the Nashville Post cleared things up a bit more on what the final design will be:

Mixed-use tower 505 — rising within the heart of downtown’s central business district — will be open to its first residents in October.

Also, the Metro Development and Housing Agency Design Review Committee Tuesday morning unanimously approved an exterior change to the design of 505, according to developer Giarratana Nashville. 

"We were not satisfied with the typical mechanical screen wall on the roof of the building," Tony Giarratana, Giarratana Nashville president, said in the release. "While costly, we felt 505 deserved a much more elegant solution. Essentially, we extended the window wall up 20 feet to clean-up the building top."

According to a release, all units and amenities for what will be Nashville’s tallest residential building (at about 545 feet) are planned for completion by January 2018, according to developer Giarratana Nashville.

Relatedly, the final crane elevation will take place March 4-5. At that point, the crane will rise from approximately 500 feet to 600 feet.

To celebrate the final pour of the top floor, the 505 team will host a “topping out” ceremony Thursday, May 18, on the plaza in front of Fifth Third Center. The ceremony will take place at 10 a.m. and will be open to the public, according to the release.

“While the construction of 505 has been complicated and has moved at an incredibly fast pace, safety has been and continues to be a top priority,” Giarratana said in the release. “This project has gone incredibly smoothly, and I’m very proud of the work of our team.”

According to the release, the speed at which 505 is being constructed is unprecedented in the Nashville market. The technology being used allows for one floor to be completed every four business days. Deck framing occurs on day one; rebar, electrical work and plumbing are added on day two; core walls and stairs are poured on day three; and floors are poured on day four. A complete concrete floor pour can be completed within five hours.

The size and scope of 505 is highly unusual for Nashville, the release notes. If laid on its side, the overall building footprint would consume more than 15 acres; but with its vertical orientation, 505 takes up less than a half-acre of real estate. The attached amenity deck is another three-quarters of an acre, and it is located on top of an MDHA-owned parking garage.

This is the final rendering:

505 CST enhanced upper level render, Feb 2017.png

Here is a new aerial shot of the progress:

505 CST aerial shot, Feb 2017.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NashvilleObserver said:

Article from the Nashville post clears this up 

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20852792/real-estate-notes-505-to-partially-open-in-october

5051.jpg

5052.jpg

My understanding of the Nashville Post article was that instead of the rounded top section, they would simply continue the windows upwards instead. I'm not sure this equates to an increase in height since its simply replacing the structure that was already going to be there.

ohhhhhh well in that case.....

giphy.gif

• Like 4

So, am I reading correctly that there will not be an oval offset which would have given it that "something extra"...maybe kind of special? Still the same flat top? Very disappointing. 20 extra feet doesn't make this building any more appealing...and quite honestly, neither would an extra 100ft without some kind of crown or offset...

Edited by troyboytn
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, troyboytn said:

So, am I reading correctly that there will not be an oval offset which would have given it that "something extra"...maybe kind of special? Still the same flat top? Very disappointing. 20 extra feet doesn't make this building any more appealing...and quite honestly, neither would an extra 100ft without some kind of crown or offset...

From all accounts, it doesn't look like we even get any extra height.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, henburg said:

This is exactly what I'm thinking too. If you look at the progression of major buildings he's built in the city (Cumberland->Viridian->SoBro->505), it's roughly been increasing in both design and height. He also practically masterminded and sold the property for the Bridgestone Tower to get built. I think that he's building up his reputation to investors while also gaining major revenue to wind up for his ultimate dream, building a beautiful new tallest for Nashville. 

Could not agree more. I am sure he has his next building planned out at least in his mind of not on paper.

• Like 4

• dmillsphoto changed the title to 505CST | 545 ft | 45 fls Church St | U/C

I kept thinking that at 45 floors 545 ft seemed like it wasn't correct? If most of those floors except the first one and maybe the top one or two penthouse units are around 10 ft then 525 seems like it could be right.  What floor are we up to now?  Seems like they are getting close, maybe 10 more to go? I like others on this board tend to think that Tony has 1 more in him prior to being done and I would love to see it be on Commerce St somewhere or the old library site.  I don't know if that is realistic, just one man's opinion :)

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

According to a recent interview on Fox 17, Tony said the height is 525.So if anything the height will need to be downsized a bit.

That would put it at nearly 100 ft shorter than AT&T? I don't see how that's possible with renderings placing the roof half way up the twin spire antennae.