Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

The Burkitt Ridge development by Regent Homes in Nolensville is underway at the intersection of Burkitt Rd. and Nolensville Rd. It will have a feel very much like Lenox Village in south Nashville. There will be mixture of 800 residences made up of townhomes, condos, and single family homes.  There will also be coffeeshops, restaurants, boutiques, and services businesses.  There will also be community's outdoor pavilions, picnic areas, and a fenced dog park. Burkitt Ridge will be walkable, with wide sidewalks and decorative street lights. About half of the site will be undeveloped green space. 

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/homes/2019/04/05/homes-burkitt-ridge-joins-popular-mixed-use-nolensville-neighborhoods/3359504002/

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 8.13.29 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Ah yes... Tennessee! Where roads and access between key corridors (e.g. I-24 and I-65) forever remain an afterthought. Good job, TDOT!

840 between 24 and 65 is horrible now.  Just volume and the hilly elevations that slow truckers down... 840 could use a widening but TDOT told me there are no plans for that.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

840 between 24 and 65 is horrible now.  Just volume and the hilly elevations that slow truckers down... 840 could use a widening but TDOT told me there are no plans for that.  

Yep.  Didn't take long for that stretch to become a parking lot at times.  They also talked about building a 4-lane between Smyrna and Cool Springs (since so many people drive back and forth on the 2 lane country roads that twist and turn all over the place)...but I don't guess that's going to happen, either.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

3 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Yep.  Didn't take long for that stretch to become a parking lot at times.  They also talked about building a 4-lane between Smyrna and Cool Springs (since so many people drive back and forth on the 2 lane country roads that twist and turn all over the place)...but I don't guess that's going to happen, either.

I'm so old I remember when the under-construction SR 840 was a waste of money that no one was ever going to drive on.

It would be hard to get a roadway between Smyrna and Cool Springs. The stubbed-out end of Sam Ridley Parkway is now blocked by a subdivision. There isn't a direct route using existing roadways so it would probably have to be a new road. And Nolensville is right in the way as well. I think I would do something like this to connect McEwen Drive and Sam Ridley (even though I just punched through several ridges and very fancy subdivisions):

A.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, titanhog said:

When I lived in Smyrna in the late '90s, my wife and I drove on those twisty roads to Cool Springs almost every week.  The drive is beautiful and we enjoyed it, though we didn't have any traffic to deal with.  Today, I can't imagine making that drive though the closing of Hickory Hollow Mall would necessitate a regular trip to Cool Springs Galleria for many people.

13 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

I'm so old I remember when the under-construction SR 840 was a waste of money that no one was ever going to drive on.

It would be hard to get a roadway between Smyrna and Cool Springs. The stubbed-out end of Sam Ridley Parkway is now blocked by a subdivision. There isn't a direct route using existing roadways so it would probably have to be a new road. And Nolensville is right in the way as well. I think I would do something like this to connect McEwen Drive and Sam Ridley (even though I just punched through several ridges and very fancy subdivisions):

I think I heard someone talking about instead of using Sam Ridley, they would use the future Rocky Fork exit on I-24 in Smyrna...and it would stretch over to York Road...which leads into Clovercroft.  Now...what happens from the Clovercroft to McKewen Drive portion is unknown to me.

• Thanks 1

Yep... that was a boat that was missed by TDOT.  I-840 was not built to serve the southern suburbs but to enable traffic to bypass them altogether. If instead of I-840, TDOT had built a "tri county" link between Hickory Hollow and Cool Springs through Nolensville, they could have gotten ahead of a lot of the development going on there now. I also believe it would have served more Tennesseans (definitely more Metropolitica area residents) and possibly spread out the sprawl more evenly (rather than the fingers of intense development along I-65 & I-24). Now it's too late to link them directly. 

I'm not sure of the history of the decision making behind I-840 but I seem to recall it was sold as a supply link to GM's plant at Spring Hill. I recall some discussion about a toll road between Smyrna and Franklin about a decade ago, but I believe the whole mention of tolls made that proposal DOA. The legislature tried to pass a law to allow toll roads, but nothing came of it. 

I know there corporations in Cool Springs wanted quick access to Smyrna Airport...and Smyrna wanted quick access to Cool Springs shopping...but now that Murfreesboro has the Avenue...and Hickory Hollow is making a comeback, I'm not sure Smyrna cares as much as it did.  But yes....it would be really tough now to build a 4 lane through that area with the subdivision growth of Smyrna, Nolensville, etc.

3 hours ago, titanhog said:

The widening of 96 from Franklin to Murfreesboro is in the State's Improve Act and could total up to $150,000,000. No schedule for construction was noted. It has been around for awhile as I was involved in a portion of the plans development before I left TDOT, but the recession hit and it was shelved for a while. The improve act was created to fund a very specific group of projects and seems to be inflexible. Sr 96 will have to wait it's turn, whenever that is.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PHofKS said:

The widening of 96 from Franklin to Murfreesboro is in the State's Improve Act and could total up to $150,000,000. No schedule for construction was noted. It has been around for awhile as I was involved in a portion of the plans development before I left TDOT, but the recession hit and it was shelved for a while. The improve act was created to fund a very specific group of projects and seems to be inflexible. Sr 96 will have to wait it's turn, whenever that is.

It looks like some of this is already starting, at least on the Murfreesboro side.   Not sure how far they're planning to take it this time but definitely looks like something is going on there.

By the way, does anyone know what is happening at Triune? I don't go through there very often but recently noticed a lot of work going on in the area.  Are they finally making an adjustment to the 4-way stop?

2 minutes ago, glamdring269 said:

It looks like some of this is already starting, at least on the Murfreesboro side.   Not sure how far they're planning to take it this time but definitely looks like something is going on there.

By the way, does anyone know what is happening at Triune? I don't go through there very often but recently noticed a lot of work going on in the area.  Are they finally making an adjustment to the 4-way stop?

They are widening the intersection to provide some turn lanes and put a “real” traffic light.  Oh, and a Sonic.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

They are widening the intersection to provide some turn lanes and put a “real” traffic light.  Oh, and a Sonic.  

Good to know; I have lots of memories passing through Truine to see my grandmother in Shelbyville. Pretty soon, we'll begin seeing renderings for highrises there :lol:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, glamdring269 said:

I haven't been though there in a few weeks, but they were adding turn lanes, MAYBE in anticipation of signalization of the intersection. That would make the most sense. The four-way stop cannot handle the volumes.

• Like 1

Fairview is adding administrative positions to its city commission to deal with all the growth: Court Clerk, City Manager, City Attorney, Building Inspector, Police Chief, and Fire Chief. Public Works has also been restructured, Human Resources reassigned, and the Planning Commission has 8 new members.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/williamson/fairview/2019/04/09/city-manager-were-not-same-ole-fairview/2864942002/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, mbjjbbb said:

A ground breaking was held today for a new $150 million dollar horse racing venue in Oak Grove, KY, just across the border from Clarksville, TN and off Fort Campbell blvd. Though in Oak Grove, this will have positive employment and tourism impacts for Clarksville as well. 

https://www.theleafchronicle.com/story/news/local/clarksville/2019/04/09/groundbreaking-new-multi-million-dollar-horse-racing-venue-oak-grove-racing-gaming/3413603002/

https://clarksvillenow.com/local/churchill-downs-keeneland-break-ground-on-horse-racing-venue-in-oak-grove/

Churchill Downs has found a way to cash in on Nashville's boom!

• Like 1

City of Franklin now taking letters of interest from developers for redeveloping The Hill property at 403-405 Fifth Ave. North into workforce and affordable housing.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/williamson/2019/04/09/letters-of-interests-hill-property-franklin-tn/3417933002/

Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 6.19.11 AM.png

• Thanks 2

On 4/8/2019 at 8:34 PM, glamdring269 said:

By the way, does anyone know what is happening at Triune?

The biggest activity in that area that I know of is at Castle Gwynn, the Tennesse Ren Faire site.   Presently under construction is a massive addition of a 3 story great hall to the existing towers.  While this is technically a private residence of the the owner, Mike Freeman,  it is larger by far than many commercial buildings we cover on this forum.   It almost doubles the size of the castle.   I think the top floor has almost 30 foot ceilings.  I wish someone could see if Mike would allow a drone to photograph the project.  I suppose it would be possible before the Ren Faire in May.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2018 at 4:16 PM, markhollin said:

A roughly 775-acre development, known as Alexander Farm, is expected to move forward as major road improvements are put in place to handle the flow of traffic, including a planned new interchange at Interstate 65 and Buckner Road.

Preliminary development plans for Alexander Farm envision 3.9 million square feet of Class A office space, nearly 1.3 million square feet of retail and restaurant space, 400 hotel rooms and 2,926 residential units (via single-family houses, cottages, townhomes and multi-family buildings) over the next 20 years.

Nashville-based real estate, design and development firm Southeast Venture has been hired to plan the development. The land is owned by the Alexander family.

More at the Nashville Post magazine here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/nashville-post-magazine/article/21026548/a-natural-evolution-in-spring-hill

Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 4.07.21 PM.png

Anything new on this?    I noticed survey work on I65 last month, I suppose for the new Buckner Road interchange.  I hope it holds off a couple of months so my commute isn't blocked by construction again.  I retire at the end of June and I would prefer not experiencing the slowdowns we had from  840 to 96.    That lasted for 2 years.