Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

7 minutes ago, urbanplanet17 said:

Here's one way to look at it:

This development would *NOT be happening if Lebanon wasn't so closely tied to Nashville's socio-economic sphere of influence.

Much of the growth there comes from people who work/play in Nashville and desire affordable housing/decent school within a reasonable commuting distance/time.

But it's a weird "reverb" type thing.  It's not as simple as Nashville is 100% what drives growth in the suburbs.   The suburbs also help drive growth in Nashville, especially considering that more people are moving into the suburbs than are moving into Nashville / Davidson County...and probably less than 5% of newcomers are actually moving into downtown.  These people who are deciding to move here for work are often taking a job in Nashville...but then buying a home in the suburbs.  And...of course, industries are also growing in the suburbs.

IMO...we actually have to stop just looking at the suburbs (which now are many considered "urban") as something different than Nashville.  It's really ALL Nashville.  The city limits / county lines really don't mean a whole lot.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, titanhog said:

But it's a weird "reverb" type thing.  It's not as simple as Nashville is 100% what drives growth in the suburbs.   The suburbs also help drive growth in Nashville, especially considering that more people are moving into the suburbs than are moving into Nashville / Davidson County...and probably less than 5% of newcomers are actually moving into downtown.  These people who are deciding to move here for work are often taking a job in Nashville...but then buying a home in the suburbs.  And...of course, industries are also growing in the suburbs.

IMO...we actually have to stop just looking at the suburbs (which now are many considered "urban") as something different than Nashville.  It's really ALL Nashville.  The city limits / county lines really don't mean a whole lot.

The bolded is what I'm getting at.

Employers creating these jobs settled on Nashville because of Nashville's airport, Nashville's convention center, Nashville's cultural amenities, Nashville's university (Vanderbilt), etc. And the people who take on these jobs do so because Nashville offers all of the aforementioned amenities.

They don't move to Lebanon or any other suburb because there's anything special about them, but because they're in close proximity to everything they need/desire in Nashville.

Edited by urbanplanet17
  • Like 3

Every time I'm in Cool Springs, I chuckle (in a sad, depressed sort of way) at all the finely manicured landscaping and abundance of sidewalks and walking trails that appear to be never used. It would be great to see them actually used someday, even if it's 50 years after they were built!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, urbanplanet17 said:

The bolded is what I'm getting at.

Employers creating these jobs settled on Nashville because of Nashville's airport, Nashville's convention center, Nashville's cultural amenities, Nashville's university (Vanderbilt), etc. And the people who take on these jobs do so because Nashville offers all of the aforementioned amenities.

They don't move to Lebanon or any other suburb because there's anything special about them, but because they're in close proximity to everything they need/desire in Nashville.

But what I'm saying is Nashville would not be growing like it is without what the suburbs provide, as well...mostly, an inexpensive home...land...and for some, a quality of life that is different than downtown living.  I definitely know the towns surrounding Nashville (many have been here nearly as long as Nashville) would not have grown like they have without the heart, which is Nashville.  But the towns surrounding Nashville are the arms and legs and are providing life blood to Nashville...and without them, I doubt seriously that Davidson County alone would be at nearly 2,000,000 population with all of the corporate locations.

I guess what I'm saying is that we often lament "sprawl"...but let's not forget the cities surrounding Nashville have been here for well over 100 years each.  They each have their own economies (and yes, I realize Nashville helps feed into those economies...and vice versa).  It's not as if there is this Nashville city limits and suddenly people just started moving out into the countryside to escape Nashville.  These town provide something that Nashville doesn't have...which enriches Nashville.  Urban...suburban...and rural all have their place.  They are all valuable.  And I would say there are a lot of people who appreciate all 3.

I realize that's a lot of rambling about "sprawl"...and I'm in no way saying I'm right, because I understand the issues that "sprawl" creates on travel.  I'm just saying "don't throw the baby out with the bath water."  Suburban babies are good babies. :D

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Vrtigo said:

Every time I'm in Cool Springs, I chuckle (in a sad, depressed sort of way) at all the finely manicured landscaping and abundance of sidewalks and walking trails that appear to be never used. It would be great to see them actually used someday, even if it's 50 years after they were built!

Trust me, the sidewalks are used, but a lot of the use is from jogging. Mallory and Seaboard area does not have sidewalks, and it is very obvious! But yes, people do walk places there! 

• Like 2

I do see how some think that this proposed development will just add to the region's sprawl.  In spite of the region's rapid growth, Lebanon is still pretty far removed from the Nashville urbanized area:

image.jpeg.6f012ba58bd497b363514a894284d7ba.jpeg

While additional office park developments in CoolSprings are merely adding to the density of an area that's already part of Nashville's urban fabric, this proposed development looks like it's trying to create an urban area where there's not one for miles around.  Lebanon just isn't a corporate kind of town (Cracker Barrel notwithstanding).

I honestly don't give this much of a chance, at least not in the short term.  Maybe in a decade or two.  One thing that CoolSprings has going for it is that it's a highly desirable area to corporate big shots and CEOs:  excellent schools, gobs of high end shopping, close proximity to Nashville's toniest neighborhoods, and miles upon miles of very upscale housing developments.  Lebanon doesn't have any of that, and frankly neither does Mt Juliet (although Mt Juliet's schools are a bajillion times better than Lebanon's; disclaimer:  I used to work for Lebanon's public schools).  While Williamson County enjoys spillover from Davidson County's wealthy enclaves like Forest Hills and Belle Meade, Wilson County gets spillover from, what, Hermitage?  Old Hickory?

I just don't see this development happening anytime soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vrtigo said:

They're mostly used by runners. What I would like to see there is more bike infrastructure since the roads are already so broad. The apartment and condo boom in Franklin/Cool Springs might create a base for young folks who want to bike to work. Or, I could hope. Cool Springs is so car-centric that it would be tough to imagine it being anything more than auto-friendly.

I grew up in south Brentwood, near Cool Springs, and had the same displeasure for the colossal parking lots and wasteful space when new projects were developed there. One of my fantasies in high school was (and still is) to raze the old half of the cumbersome Galleria Mall and put a commuter rail center in its place. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

A little too small for me to read but I wonder how recent that is, as Mt. Juliet has exploded in the past 5 years. That map shows virtually nothing where MJ is. 

Here's a larger one.  It's pretty accurate.  The vast majority of MJ's growth has been on its west side, closest to Nashville, as well as the south side around Providence.  The new MJ high school, for example, is just a mile or so from the Davidson County line.  There's very little development between MJ and Lebanon.

Image result for nashville urbanized area map

• Like 3

On 3/28/2019 at 12:41 AM, BnaBreaker said:

It honestly breaks my heart seeing us without a care just burn through all of the beautiful woodlands and agricultural land that once surrounded our city just so a developer can make a quick buck by throwing up some cheap ass, uninspired cookie-cutter crap surrounded by an ocean of asphalt that looks like a million other places around the country and has zero sense of place or awareness of it's surroundings.  What a tragedy.

I'm with you! I don't think this is an overreaction at all. This is exactly what is happening all over Middle and even East Tennessee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

The new MJ high school, for example, is just a mile or so from the Davidson County line.  There's very little development between MJ and Lebanon.

For clarity:  the new high school is on Golden Bear Gateway more west of town surrounded by new subdivisions; the planned high school would be in Green Hill and closer to Davidson County.

Development between Lebanon and Mt. Juliet is taking off; mostly residential, but both cities have cooperated for the pending housing  development's infrastructure needs south of 40 between Hwy 109 and Beckwith Rd/Golden Bear Gateway.

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tragenvol said:

For clarity:  the new high school is on Golden Bear Parkway more west of town surrounded by new subdivisions; the planned high school would be in Green Hill and closer to Davidson County.

Development between Lebanon and Mt. Juliet is taking off; mostly residential, but both cities have cooperated for the pending housing  development's infrastructure needs south of 40 between Hwy 109 and Beckwith Rd/Golden Bear Pkwy.

Anyone know why Beckwith Road was renamed Golden Bear Parkway (or Gateway)?      I thought maybe there was a new Jack Nicholas designed golf course in Mt. Juliet, but that doesn’t appear to be the case.    jk     But seriously, the name change happened a few years ago when the road was widened, but I’ve always wondered about the name.    

5 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

Anyone know why Beckwith Road was renamed Golden Bear Parkway (or Gateway)?      I thought maybe there was a new Jack Nicholas designed golf course in Mt. Juliet, but that doesn’t appear to be the case.    jk     But seriously, the name change happened a few years ago when the road was widened, but I’ve always wondered about the name.    

Only the northern portion is Golden Bear (Gateway not Parkway); it leads back into Mt. Juliet and connects with Hwy 70 past the new high school.  Mt. Juliet Golden Bears.

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, tragenvol said:

For clarity:  the new high school is on Golden Bear Gateway more west of town surrounded by new subdivisions; the planned high school would be in Green Hill and closer to Davidson County.

Development between Lebanon and Mt. Juliet is taking off; mostly residential, but both cities have cooperated for the pending housing  development's infrastructure needs south of 40 between Hwy 109 and Beckwith Rd/Golden Bear Gateway.

Yeah sorry, poor wording on my part.  I meant the new high school in MJ (Green Hill), not the "new" MJHS which is actually about 10 years old now (the building--there's been a Mt Juliet High School since before the Civil War).  The new Green Hill HS is so close to Davidson County there's a spot on Hwy 70 (Lebanon Road) nearby where you can actually see the Nashville skyline off in the distance.

Edited by jmtunafish

22 hours ago, tragenvol said:

Only the northern portion is Golden Bear (Gateway not Parkway); it leads back into Mt. Juliet and connects with Hwy 70 past the new high school.  Mt. Juliet Golden Bears.

Sort of.  Beckwith Road still exists north of I-40.  Golden Bear Gateway is a new road that connects I-40 to Lebanon Road; Beckwith Road breaks off of GBG just a few hundred feet north of I-40 and also connects to Lebanon Road.

image.png.b5359d23fffde30173adb9175af18c7e.png

• Thanks 1

As far as suburban faux-urban centers like this go, I expect this one to incorporate nicely the main elements of urban design. The same people behind the Gulch are involved in this one. (Steve and Jay Turner) aka MarketStreet Enterprises. Like the Gulch, the buildout will be over 20 years. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Sort of.  Beckwith Road still exists north of I-40.  Golden Bear Gateway is a new road that connects I-40 to Lebanon Road; Beckwith Road breaks off of GBG just a few hundred feet north of I-40 and also connects to Lebanon Road.

And isn't Golden Bear Gateway an entirely new road, built in the last two years or so? That side of the interstate exit used to dead-end into nothing, or so I remember. 

Did I just see a rendering for Cool Springs without obscene amounts of parking spaces? This pretty forward-thinking. I like it.

On 3/27/2019 at 12:47 PM, markhollin said:

The widening of busy Sunset Road in Brentwood that will cost $8.9 million is about to begin, and should be done by summer of 2020.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/williamson/brentwood/2019/03/27/work-begin-sunset-road-widening-brentwood/3287928002/

Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 11.44.42 AM.png

This needs to happen so badly. Sunset Rd. felt like a country road when I was in high school.

23 hours ago, volsfanwill said:

I'm sure yall have noticed that I get my comic relief by reading Facebook and Twitter comments on local news stories. Well, on the story for this development in cool Springs, someone actually said 

"great, these same idiots that ruined downtown are trying to ruin Cool Springs now too" 

Just a matter of time before the Cool Springs/Franklin people complain that they're becoming the next Atlanta.

• Haha 1