Surrounding Counties - Cheatham, Dickson, Montgomery, Rutherford, Sumner, Wilson, Williamson, Maury, etc.

Rural King

On 4/9/2019 at 8:16 PM, mbjjbbb said:

A ground breaking was held today for a new $150 million dollar horse racing venue in Oak Grove, KY, just across the border from Clarksville, TN and off Fort Campbell blvd. Though in Oak Grove, this will have positive employment and tourism impacts for Clarksville as well. 

https://www.theleafchronicle.com/story/news/local/clarksville/2019/04/09/groundbreaking-new-multi-million-dollar-horse-racing-venue-oak-grove-racing-gaming/3413603002/

https://clarksvillenow.com/local/churchill-downs-keeneland-break-ground-on-horse-racing-venue-in-oak-grove/

Yes, this has been in the works for some time (they applied for their racing license last year). There was Paducah Downs, which opened in the 80's and is now gone. This one will start with 12 racing dates, but not thoroughbreds (of course)

I love that there is a 3,000 seat amphitheater, 1,500 horseracing machines,,,,,,,,,, and a 1,200 seat grandstand

• Like 1

On 4/10/2019 at 10:12 AM, Baronakim said:

The biggest activity in that area that I know of is at Castle Gwynn, the Tennesse Ren Faire site.   Presently under construction is a massive addition of a 3 story great hall to the existing towers.  While this is technically a private residence of the the owner, Mike Freeman,  it is larger by far than many commercial buildings we cover on this forum.   It almost doubles the size of the castle.   I think the top floor has almost 30 foot ceilings.  I wish someone could see if Mike would allow a drone to photograph the project.  I suppose it would be possible before the Ren Faire in May.

Thought I would add a photo from Wikipedia of the castle in 2012 . The new addition is behind these towers.

800px-Castle_Gwynn_cropped[1].jpg

• Like 4

The towers are built with a sort of visual tomfoolery such that they appear to extend back for a significant distance as a complete castle when viewed directly from the front, but that facade quickly disappears when you walk around a bit, leaving the towers to look rather lonely. I hope the new addition finally fills out the place a bit.

Edited by Vrtigo

22 minutes ago, Vrtigo said:

The towers are built with a sort of visual tomfoolery such that they appear to extend back for a significant distance as a complete castle when viewed directly from the front, but that facade quickly disappears when you walk around a bit, leaving the towers to look rather lonely. I hope the new addition finally fills out the place a bit.

It does indeed and I would not agree with your use of the word 'tomfoolery'.  Mr. Freeman has based the design of his castle on a castle in Wales, Castell Koch, (Red Castle) as his is Castell  Gwynn (White Castle).   His castle is larger than the one in Wales.  It has been a work in progress for 40 years and with the new addition, will finally achieve completion.   Perhaps you should devote some study time of the smaller European castles.  I hope that you will find the study as fascinating as do I.   

Here is the floorplan of Koch.

plan2[1].jpg

Castell_Coch4[1].jpg

Edited by Baronakim
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Archer Datacenters is set to buy 30 acres on Gateway Drive in Gallatin (directly across the street from Beretta USA's factory) to build a 70,000 sq. ft. data center in 2020.  It will serve as a "colocation" center where space will er rented out to servers and other hardware businesses looking to securely store data. 

The company's first facility will house up to 5 megawatts of IT capacity. "We could replicate that building two or three times on the site," says Jordan Milman, the Wall Street entrepreneur  behind the project . The land purchase also includes the right of first refusal on adjacent land.  The development itself may only employ around 10 people, but the entities who end up renting space could be in the hundreds.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/04/15/nashvilles-boom-and-renewable-energy-power-new.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

This map shows the location of the Beretta factory, which is just to the north of this 30 acre development:

Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 3.20.33 PM.png

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, markhollin said:

Some history on the former Superspeedway in Wilson County, photos from some of the races, and Panatonni's plans to make it one of the largest industrial parks in the region in this Tennessean article:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2019/04/16/nashville-superspeedway-race-track-nascar/3488256002/

Ugh, seeing this makes me want to cry. Seemed like there was so much potential for this track, yet it only lasted 10 years. 

• Like 1

A 3.6 acre lot of undeveloped land at 201 Cool Springs Blvd. in Franklin is being marketed for either a hotel or office building, and had the necessary rezoning changes in place.  The site overlooks Legends Golf Course. No price has been listed by the seller, Eric Powers of the Innovations Group.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/04/17/cool-springs-site-up-for-grabs-touting-office-or.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

Here is a suggested rendering of a hotel by the seller:

201 Cool Springs Blvd, April 17, 2019, selling render.png

201 Cool Springs Blvd, April 17, 2019, site map.png

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

I still wish someone with hugely deep pockets would make that land into a new Opryland.  The speedway site is 1,400 acres, and Panattoni bought only 147 acres.  Opryland was 120 acres, and the 4 theme parks that make up Disney World are only about 1,100 acres (out of 30,000 that Disney owns).  There's already a giant exit off of 840 that was built to accommodate superspeedway traffic which could easily accommodate theme park traffic.   There's plenty of room there for a kickass theme park.  Oh well.

Jeff Bezos has deep pockets and he's investing in Nashville. Jeff if you're reading this: We need theme park! Preferably Video Gameland or Musicland but Amazonland will do. We could shop while riding rides.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Jamie Hall said:

Ugh, seeing this makes me want to cry. Seemed like there was so much potential for this track, yet it only lasted 10 years. 

There wasn't a lot of potential. The layout is uninteresting and makes for poor racing; the only redeeming factor is the concrete surface. The roval is a joke. Probably wouldn't have gotten better with the addition of the drag strip and short track.

Granted if it had gotten a full NASCAR weekend it would probably still be going strong, based on the market area alone. But as it is it's just another unremarkable cookie-cutter.

That being said, Nashville needs a track larger than the Fairgrounds Speedway. Or we can use my alternative proposal for a NASCAR weekend, version 2.0:

B.jpg

I-65 interchange at Buckner Rd. in Spring Hill is among the larger projects listed in the TDOT 3-year transportation program.

More at The Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/infrastructure/article/21065118/new-threeyear-transportation-plan-includes-construction-of-i65-buckner-exit

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:49 AM, opendrawerwhore said:

Where are the really high paying jobs ( $100k++++ )in our community to support these developments?  Am I missing something or have I just missed out???? 

I often wonder something along these lines when I see the number of million-dollar homes being built in Williamson county.  As near as I can figure, it comes down to a mixture of financial situations among the buyers:  Some people with very high incomes, some people with moderately high dual incomes and a lot of debt, some people that inherited a lot of money, and some people relocating from out of state where the equity in their house was way more than the average house price in Williamson county.

But to answer your question about have you missed out... well, that depends on what type of life you were wanting to live.  Personally, I would like to have a micro-cabin in the woods.  Other people want to live in big fancy McMansions.  But to get into the nice neighborhoods of Williamson County, you need to be pulling down at least 6 figures.

• Like 3