Crescent Stonewall Station

CLTProductions

• 3 months later...

Not sure this really impacts this development, but Whole Foods is laying off 1500 people in response to increased competition. That being said, this project has been rather quiet the last few months. Is ground breaking still happening this year?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article36807723.html

Whole foods is still immensely popular in Charlotte and yeah this project is still on schedule. There's been back and forth with the city over plan approvals but it's in final stages now. 

This project just received its Land Use approvals today and its grading permit, and is currently in the Building Permit review process.

Key take aways from the Land Use plans:

7,000+ sf of retail in addition to Whole Foods

225' height (maybe 230' as it appear the highest point of the sun-deck roof isn't included" (19 floors, plus partially covered roof-top deck)

EIFS and Glass construction

Hotels not included in this approval

There is an artistic scrim designed to screen the parking deck (elevations show a Panthers mural motif, but notes indicate that is place-holder and will be up to a local artist to design)

I suspect we see this stay on schedule and break ground by year end.

• Like 2

This project just received its Land Use approvals today and its grading permit, and is currently in the Building Permit review process.

Key take aways from the Land Use plans:

7,000+ sf of retail in addition to Whole Foods

225' height (maybe 230' as it appear the highest point of the sun-deck roof isn't included" (19 floors, plus partially covered roof-top deck)

EIFS and Glass construction

Hotels not included in this approval

There is an artistic scrim designed to screen the parking deck (elevations show a Panthers mural motif, but notes indicate that is place-holder and will be up to a local artist to design)

I suspect we see this stay on schedule and break ground by year end.

Screen_Shot_2015-09-30_at_11.15.42_AM.th

Screen_Shot_2015-09-30_at_11.15.36_AM.th

Screen_Shot_2015-09-30_at_11.15.22_AM.th

Screen_Shot_2015-09-30_at_11.15.15_AM.th

Didn't this have a lot more retail space in addition to the Whole Foods?  I thought they were trying to get a department store next to Whole Foods but I might have just made that up...

That was a Tryon Place Rumor, Not Whole Foods. There will be additional retail at the bottom of the hotels that will make up the difference as well. 

Edited by Guest

So After close inspection, I have a couple thoughts.

SCRIMS:

I'm all for this, however, I feel like its a cop out. In NYC they have attractive architectural elements, and then they put scrims over that, that way you could eventually take the Scrims down and there would be something attractive underneath. I feel like this is a cheap way to hide a hideous parking deck. Not a fan. I'm assuming something attractive, local, and "collage-y" will make this wall. I would love to see something by Matt Moore and Matt Hooker, love those guys. Its going to have to look great so not to stick out too much.

MATERIALS

I'm happy with the stonewall facing side. Lot LOT LOT of brick. 5/6 is brick, unlike the usual 1/6 plus 5/6 EIFS. Thats great. 

I'm VERY unhappy with the 277 facing facade, and the Caldwell facing facade. These are the two views that 90% of people will see this project from. People driving by on 277, and people entering the city via South Blvd/Caldwell. Despite the front door being on Stonewall, I see this projects true front being the side that faces 277. Its one of the most heavily travelled roads in the state. My problem is, its completely devoid of masonry. Its all EIFS. Thankfully Caldwell facing will be eventually hidden by the two hotels. The 277 facing side... not so much.

WHOLE FOODS PLAZA

Seems a little smaller than I Expected... No?

• nearly 1400 space deck (dang)
  • That "transit" plaza will be 9000 SF
  • 456 apartment units
    • High rise will have a skylounge

This project rules...and atlvr, it says on some page 230' is the max height

I assume the parking deck will be for the hotels too?  That's way too many spaces for the number of apartments and Whole Foods.

This is the one I always think of.  Used to love driving by to see it on the way to Discovery Place as a kid.

467e0067828ae6f408e481609ef017eb.jpg

I hope that any murals on buildings will depict the founding fathers or history of the city like those in the Bank America building. Personally, the ones with the basketball players was sort of  tacky. I believe there was a lot of negativity about them.

I hope that any murals on buildings will depict the founding fathers or history of the city like those in the Bank America building. Personally, the ones with the basketball players was sort of  tacky. I believe there was a lot of negativity about them.

LJ, ZO and Muggsy were the founding fathers of this city. They put Charlotte on the map. There is no Charlotte today without the hornets. Oh and the banks... they are pretty cool too.

Edited by Guest

I'm still not a fan of the architecture overall, but I do like the Panthers mural. It would be cool if someone would install a Hornets mural on the Epicenter to compliment it (and help indicate which stops are closest to those respective venues). It also looks like there will be handful of other misc. retail fronting Stonewall which is a good thing.

I think this building is another wasted opportunity to build something that creates an iconic terminal vista along out "retail corridor" that is supposed to line Brevard Street someday (the other beingTWC Arena). For those who are unfamiliar with the term - it's a planning/urban design concept that basically means "something cool at the end of the street to look at."

Anyway. I'm glad to see some progress. This building will still be better than an empty lot.

I think the hope for Brevard retail died a while ago when the city decided to build giant, boring walls on either side of it.  Unfortunately, our city planners aren't doing much to help us shake the stigma of being boring and bland.

OH THE EXCITEMENT!

Capture.thumb.PNG.783773c0465fa696d1906b

Edited by ah59396

LJ, ZO and Muggsy were the founding fathers of this city. They put Charlotte on the map. There is no Charlotte today without the hornets. Oh and the banks... they are pretty cool too.

There is no Charlotte today without CLT. The key year is 1982, when the current terminal opened and the Piedmont hub that launched around that same time.

From that flowed everything else: banks, NBA, NFL, everything. The NBA would never have looked at us without excellent airlinks to other key markets. Having those airlinks meant that Charlotte would boom-and we did.

Hugh McColl and Eddie Crutchfield could not have bought all those banks without CLT in place. For that, we can thank John Belk. He went out shaking the civic pom poms not once but twice in the late 1970s to get voters to approve the bonds to build the 1982 terminal. 

Young'uns look at Charlotte and have no knowledge of earlier leaders like Stan Brookshire who kept a cool head and was Charlotte's mayor when other southern cities were exploding in racial animus or Slug Claiborne, who devised a clever way to desegregate Charlotte's restaurants in one fell swoop.

LJ, 'Zo and Muggsy could be here because of who and what came before.

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 1

Someone just read Ely's article on US Airways. 

Latest I've heard now is their timeline is still on target with ground breaking late this year and completion of phase 1 (no hotels) by end of 2017

Yes, I did! Thanks for the write-so many people know nothing of Charlotte's history, let alone how we got a big hub airport.

Old native that I am, I could have written it for you of course. :)

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods