Crescent Stonewall Station

CLTProductions

One annoying thought; Brevard Street could have became a strong retail stroll district like the city wanted if this project occurred during the last boom. The Hall of Fame and Convention Center kill the mood.

Embassy Suites may be too far from Crescent uptown to have synergy. AT&T building sucks. And there isnt even a sidewalk On Brevard on the block before the Transit centre.

I always said it. Stonewall has the most potential due to the continuous empty plots. If the terd that Ricky mentions gets built with some retail, Lincoln Harris does something decent on the Charlotte Observer block, thatd be a nice street to be able to go shopping taking you past the Hall of Fame, Museums, and to the Panthers Starium and near Romare and BBT Ball Park.

Retail clusters I'd like to see that seems realistic: Stonewall, Trade/Tryon and college stretching all the way to Stonewall.

I hope a larger department store thinks the economics of uptown could work. The one thing that gives me hope is WholeFoods is an anchor. What about a Saks 5th Avenue? We only have the outlet version at Charlotte Premium.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

When was the last time a department store was built in a downtown? More importantly, when was the last time a department store was built in the downtown of a SOUTHERN city that grew up on the automobile?

Depends on what you mean by department store. Mast General Store (which is arguably just a less formal version of a traditional ds)is popping up in existing spaces in downtown Asheville, Greenville (lesser Carolina), Knoxville and soon in Winston-Salem. Edited by kermit

Lincoln Harris does something decent on the Charlotte Observer block

You know, if there was to be a transformative, retail-centric project in uptown, I feel like this would be the spot. That could mean the original observer building gets demolished...but it's a huge piece of property in an ideal location.

Depends on what you mean by department store. Mast General Store (which is arguably just a less formal version of a traditional ds)is popping up in existing spaces in downtown Asheville, Greenville (lesser Carolina), Knoxville and soon in Winston-Salem.

Good point. Would Mast ever consider Charlotte though? Seems like they go for more 'traditional feeling' downtowns (for lack of a better term).

I always said it. Stonewall has the most potential due to the continuous empty plots. If the terd that Ricky mentions gets built with some retail, Lincoln Harris does something decent on the Charlotte Observer block, thatd be a nice street to be able to go shopping taking you past the Hall of Fame, Museums, and to the Panthers Starium and near Romare and BBT Ball Park.

After some research. It would seem that Pollack Shores has developed a few High Rises in the past, they have been just focussing recently on stick built Mid Rise construction, much as everyone else has been doing. The 12 Million they are bidding on this site would require vertical integration of the uses in order to make it feasible, so we will likely see a similar product to Crescent Uptown, just probably not as awesome. 

Edited by Guest

Drove down Stonewall today and noticed the field that's currently here has a mess of surveying sticks and ribbons all over it that are new.  In addition there was some equipment with associated operators drilling holes.  soil samples maybe?? mapping underground geology maybe??

Sure does take a lot of work to just get to being able to execute on physical construction.  Nice to see things moving forward.

As a side note, when the same looking machine was drilling holes at the site of now under construction Ascent it was about 6 months later they started construction.

Edited by navigator319

Finalizing the depth of supports, digging, types of soils on the site (some of the soils they can sell, others they will dump on any other site), how much rock (blasting, etc), and the sort. It is pretty extensive once you're finalizing the plans to double check and make sure you're not having to order materials last minute and getting screwed on the process, among many other reasons. 

When I moved here in 2008, I heard a rumor a Bloomingdales would be going into the base of the DEC, or maybe another building that was planned but never built?  Do any of you have a recollection of this?

One of my wife and my favorite things to do is go to Bloomingdales in Midtown NYC.  We go every time we are there.  One minute you are on the street and the next inside a fun, high end department store.  If a Bloomingdales or Nordstroms goes in here, I would always go here over Southpark...

There will never be a Bloomingdales in Uptown Charlotte in our lifetime. EVER. Maybe Southpark one day but even that is a stretch IMHO. I think the best bet for uptown retail is the likes of say, Gap, Old Navy, Possibly H&M in about 10 years. Would love to see Zara set up shop uptown. But I just dont see a shopping center at all. My thoughts are retail will be spread throughout uptown. I hope Im wrong but in a way it would be good for residents if it were spread out ground level of the new buildings sprouting up. 

BUT...I do think a Saks could work given the daytime office workers and the fact that South End is a few stops away and the fact that 12,000 or so people live uptown. That would be so awesome. But where would they put it?

Edited by Skyybutter

When I moved here in 2008, I heard a rumor a Bloomingdales would be going into the base of the DEC, or maybe another building that was planned but never built? Do any of you have a recollection of this?

One of my wife and my favorite things to do is go to Bloomingdales in Midtown NYC. We go every time we are there. One minute you are on the street and the next inside a fun, high end department store. If a Bloomingdales or Nordstroms goes in here, I would always go here over Southpark...

There will never be a Bloomingdales in Uptown Charlotte in our lifetime. EVER. Maybe Southpark one day but even that is a stretch IMHO. I think the best bet for uptown retail is the likes of say, Gap, Old Navy, Possibly H&M in about 10 years. Would love to see Zara set up shop uptown. But I just dont see a shopping center at all. My thoughts are retail will be spread throughout uptown. I hope Im wrong but in a way it would be good for residents if it were spread out ground level of the new buildings sprouting up.

BUT...I do think a Saks could work given the daytime office workers and the fact that South End is a few stops away and the fact that 12,000 or so people live uptown. That would be so awesome. But where would they put it?

It's projected 25,500 people will be living in uptown & SouthEnd by 2015 with around 8,000 units planned or under construction. I think uptown was projected to be around 20,000 for 2015. (then there is midtown, Elizabeth, plaza, NoDa)

I would crap a brick if American Eagle came uptown. It's my favorite store (their shirts fit so good for me). I also would love GAP, Old Navy, Urban Outfitters, Victoria Secrets, etc. Primarily because they are affordable, hehe.

I'm a little more optimistic about retail uptown paticularly ringing 277 like Metropolitan.. There is a lot of wealth around uptown that can just hop on 277 and take an exit ramp to whichever potential shopping center as opposed to SouthPark. Whole Foods uptown is a testament to that. Obviously the location will work for then relying on folks from surrounding hoods.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

I've always imagined, if Uptown ever got a decent amount of shopping retail, it would be in the form of an EpiCentre style development.  Just one open-air building where the stores feed off each other with a parking deck.  Maybe something like the FIGat7th in LA?  The Observer building would be a good location to tie in with all of these other projects.

But yeah, I would love to see a Zara or a Topshop / Topman or something not in the area that would be a huge draw.

Edited by Higgs Boson

I'm okay with Uptown just having some spotty retail.  Honestly I don't ever expect it to be a "destination" for it.  Uptown is the hub of the city's economy, like our mini wall street.  I don't got to wall street to go shopping when I'm in New York City.

Hopefully we see retail develop at the Crescent sites and then push south into the Gold District and South End (particularly Camden).  The area is still served by transit and will be much more walk able, especially with the development of the rail trail.

I'm okay with Uptown just having some spotty retail. Honestly I don't ever expect it to be a "destination" for it. Uptown is the hub of the city's economy, like our mini wall street. I don't got to wall street to go shopping when I'm in New York City.

Hopefully we see retail develop at the Crescent sites and then push south into the Gold District and South End (particularly Camden). The area is still served by transit and will be much more walk able, especially with the development of the rail trail.

I tend to see both sides. I'd love for there to be a big epicenter like development with a bunch of big name brand stores, mixed with boutique shopping on Camden

I'm okay with Uptown just having some spotty retail.  Honestly I don't ever expect it to be a "destination" for it.  Uptown is the hub of the city's economy, like our mini wall street.  I don't got to wall street to go shopping when I'm in New York City.

Hopefully we see retail develop at the Crescent sites and then push south into the Gold District and South End (particularly Camden).  The area is still served by transit and will be much more walk able, especially with the development of the rail trail.

SouthPark is our destination. But if I lived in/around uptown, I would much rather choose Uptown or an alternative location for occasional shopping, getting a  few new outfits, etc. And if I wanted to go full blown shopping then I'd choose SouthPark. I live in Huntersville and do my shopping in Birkdale (watch a movie, walk the greenway, window shop, eat) but when I want to go hardcore shopping, I go to NorthLake. People love going to Birkdale to stroll around. I'd imagine Uptown could fill that roll for the suburbanites urbanites down there.

Macy's just announced the formation of a outlet concept called Macy's Backstage in NYC. These stores are in the 30,000 sg ft range & Crescent just happens to have such a space. Either way I do feel Uptown/SouthEnd can support concepts like this along with boutique type retailers. Uptown doesn't have to try to compete with Southpark but instead could complement it while the outlet centers like Concord Mills & Premium Outlets are more than far enough away so as not to compete directly with them

• Like 1

It's projected 25,500 people will be living in uptown & SouthEnd by 2015 with around 8,000 units planned or under construction. I think uptown was projected to be around 20,000 for 2015. (then there is midtown, Elizabeth, plaza, NoDa)

I would crap a brick if American Eagle came uptown. It's my favorite store (their shirts fit so good for me). I also would love GAP, Old Navy, Urban Outfitters, Victoria Secrets, etc. Primarily because they are affordable, hehe.

I'm a little more optimistic about retail uptown paticularly ringing 277 like Metropolitan.. There is a lot of wealth around uptown that can just hop on 277 and take an exit ramp to whichever potential shopping center as opposed to SouthPark. Whole Foods uptown is a testament to that. Obviously the location will work for then relying on folks from surrounding hoods.

sounds like you want uptown to turn into a mall.  hopefully there will at least be a mrs. fields mixed in between the GAP and the Lids.   my own view is that charlotte should demand a hell of a lot better than a rash of crappy chain stores found in every suburban mall in every nowhere town usa.  i just can't understand why the hottest market in the south isn't demanding better.