Virgin Hotel on Music Row, 15 stories, 262 rooms, music club

leggy77

I really like it. There are some very cool, interesting architectural details. For instance, the glass sides to the swimming pool, the skywalk, the rooftop bar (really looking forward to a cocktail there!), the wraparound balcony, and round corners really lend an interesting edge that makes the building rather unique.

This gives better perspective to the orientation:

View+2+FINAL.jpg?format=1500w

I like it too... it sort of has a party vibe to it. And it needed to come right up to the street like that. It really is right on top of that corner, which I think is nice because it is not too tall. Sits great on that little hill too.  

Will this be Nashvegas' fourth rooftop (tower) pool?  Veridian... Omni... Westin.. Virgin?  The building planned for Elliston, across from Elliston 23, announced last week will also have a rooftop pool. Sobro's will be atop the parking garage... and (if built) so will Paramount's... and 1212's is.  Did I miss any others? What about JWM's. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

Now that we see Virgin's grand vision for the corner of 17th/Division (and I really do like what they're doing there at the street level), is there any chance Skyhouse will reconsider the design or placement of their parking garage directly across the street?    On the north side of Division, Roundabout Plaza's garage already occupies the NE corner and I just wish we weren't getting another garage on the NW corner (assuming Skyhouse happens).    I know the Skyhouse garage includes a retail component, but Virgin guests and residents are still staring across at a parking structure.    Come on, Skyhouse, think!    

• Like 1

Why?  I thought the retail lining the ground floor of the garage would be a nice compliment to the Virgin hotel, and the streetscape in general.

Now that we see Virgin's grand vision for the corner of 17th/Division (and I really do like what they're doing there at the street level), is there any chance Skyhouse will reconsider the design or placement of their parking garage directly across the street?    On the north side of Division, Roundabout Plaza's garage already occupies the NE corner and I just wish we weren't getting another garage on the NW corner (assuming Skyhouse happens).    I know the Skyhouse garage includes a retail component, but Virgin guests and residents are still staring across at a parking structure.    Come on, Skyhouse, think!    

Why?  I thought the retail lining the ground floor of the garage would be a nice compliment to the Virgin hotel, and the streetscape in general.

It might be, depending on what Skyhouse does with the overall design.     

You can have ground level retail in a parking structure and still end up with something many would consider unattractive.     e.g., 

post-29449-0-10969700-1422378355_thumb.j

• Like 2

It might be, depending on what Skyhouse does with the overall design.     

You can have ground level retail in a parking structure and still end up with something many would consider unattractive.     e.g., 

I think the skyhouse parking structure looks pretty good in the render.  It's not going to be that 1980 urban fortress look.  Altho frankly I think that area looks ok at the street level, my main complaint isn't the buildings but that Commerce street is too wide.  Would be better if the brick sheathing went up 2 floors.  1 story commercial always looks bad.

Edited by Neigeville2

This is a significant fact which moves this project back into the wishful thinking stage.

The equity piece of the cap stack is not yet fully accounted for but there is a significant equity commitment in place from an established and well-capitalized NYC investment firm.  Therefore I'd argue that, though not a done deal, this one is much closer to groundbreaking than wishful thinking.   

Edited by RonCamp
  • Like 1

Wow...was unaware of that. This had better get built! Richie rich can't postpone his next private space flight for a day to get this off the ground eh?

Indeed.

It was the same ol' song-n-dance with WES and the orange-brick Masonic Corinthian Lodge Nº 414, that got torn down in late winter 2005.  Originally built as a church after the turn on the 20th c, the Masons occupied that structure for some 60-70 years before Alex Palmer gave in and offered an enticing-enough price on that thing.  But few people even recall what was there anymore (on the north side of West End Ave, between 16th and 17th Aves.).

What a waste all this time for a pit the size of a quarry hole! (even if there has been announced a revival of interest in developing that property)

-==-

• Like 1

This is normal for most any hotel project. You have to buy the franchise rights to build and it is up to you to come up with the financing.

There are few companies that own a franchise, that are building corporately owned properties. They make more money from the franchise fees with no risk to themselves. They do not even pay for the signs. That is the operator/ owners job.

I accept that It may be normal for hotel projects, don't have a choice otherwise, but is ten years (come this March) after razing the final structure also "normal"?  I do realize that some of this might be outcome of one's own doing.  And some of this could be the "fault" of Metro's practices as well.

-==-

Edited by rookzie

Indeed.

It was the same ol' song-n-dance with WES and the orange-brick Masonic Corinthian Lodge Nº 414, that got torn down in late winter 2005.  Originally built as a church after the turn on the 20th c, the Masons occupied that structure for some 60-70 years before Alex Palmer gave in and offered an enticing-enough price on that thing.  But few people even recall what was there anymore (on the north side of West End Ave, between 16th and 17th Aves.).

What a waste all this time for a pit the size of a quarry hole! (even if there has been announced a revival of interest in developing that property)

-==-

Reminds me of losing the Corinthian Lodge for West End Summit. Ridiculous!

Oh yeah, that one, too.  ("musta" slipped by me...)

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1