Virgin Hotel on Music Row, 15 stories, 262 rooms, music club

leggy77

• 3 months later...

What I've always wondered is if David Chase is a big enough developer to pull off two major projects at the same time.  He's building the Westin right now...so he'd need an entire 2nd crew to be building the Virgin right now.  I don't know if that's a difficult thing to make happen...but it seems like it wouldn't be that easy to do if you weren't used to building more than one large project at a time.

What I've always wondered is if David Chase is a big enough developer to pull off two major projects at the same time.  He's building the Westin right now...so he'd need an entire 2nd crew to be building the Virgin right now.  I don't know if that's a difficult thing to make happen...but it seems like it wouldn't be that easy to do if you weren't used to building more than one large project at a time.

They're subcontracting all the actual work. But it's still a legitimate question of resources for DF Chase.

IIRC, it was reported that he has the debt portion of the financing in place and was beginning work on the equity portion. I would love for this to be Nashville's first large-scale crowdfunded development. To my knowledge Nashville developers have yet to go that route on any projects.

IIRC, it was reported that he has the debt portion of the financing in place and was beginning work on the equity portion. I would love for this to be Nashville's first large-scale crowdfunded development. To my knowledge Nashville developers have yet to go that route on any projects.

I didn't know developers had gone that route.  Cool!

What do the "investors" receive?  I'm assuming a percentage commensurate with their investment?

I didn't know developers had gone that route.  Cool!

What do the "investors" receive?  I'm assuming a percentage commensurate with their investment?

Crowdfunding is still in its infancy at this time, but it is rapidly growing.  I haven't seen any deals from the Nashville area yet.  These are essentially platforms that pools money together from several investors instead of one bank, private equity firm, etc. Those investors then get a rate of return based on the type of investment that was offered.  For example, in a purely debt position the investor can act as "the bank" with senior debt that has first position on the lien (8-12% IRR), they can get in for mezzanine level investment which holds a more junior position of financing (11-15% IRR), or they can be a pure equity partner which has higher average rates of return but also has a much higher risk level. 

Those rates for debt are likely a bit higher than they could get through traditional financing, but the speed of closing the funds can be pretty fast.

Check this project out in Manhattan.  It is a crowd funded project by Prodigy Network, and they even did their interior design through a crowd funded design competition.  http://newyorkyimby.com/2015/06/23-story-commercial-building-filed-at-17-john-street-financial-district.html 

• Like 1

The 3HL group on at 3 pm on the sports talk station called 104.5 The Zone apparently have moved to the Music Row area and remarking about all the cranes in the area. They mentioned several developments and said the Virgin Hotel is now underway. A few minutes later Littlejohn Engineering tweeted that they can provide them with any information they want about the projects. 

I'm inclined to think they probably don't know what they are talking about regarding the Virgin Hotel, but then there's that slight curiosity as to why he would say that with such affirmation.