JW Marriott - 385' - 34 Floors

smeagolsfree

Well, glass does tend to be transparent... :whistling:

As far as what it is...No telling. It could just be the mechanical penthouse up there, or maybe, just maybe, it could be some kind of atrium with an observation deck. Oh how awesome would that be?!

Lol I know.  I just thought it was kind of odd looking because you can't really see through the crown of the Pinnacle and the rendering for this made the glass so clear looking.  I'm sure you are right about it being the mechanical penthouse.  Still a nice looking development.  

That's a really cool view.  I love how the two buildings are connected, with the pool in-between.  Also...love how the office building mirrors the shape of the hotel.

When you hit the Tennessean link, though, it doesn't show that photo.  It's only on the DT Nash FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/DowntownNashville

I asked where they got the rendering and they said the source was Arquitectonica.  It was not even on the Turnberry website.

Edited by bruceman73

Something I find interesting about this new rendering is how much taller the office tower seems in comparison to the previous render. Looking at this new one I'd say the office tower is at least 3/4 the height of the hotel. Truly inspired. I agree this is the kind of architectural bravado we have all been dying for in our fair city.  This is a building that is going to make a statement. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but this view is looking from the North, with Demonbreun running in front of the building and the roundabout behind? 

Don't know if it's that the office tower looks taller in this perspective or that the hotel towers crown is gone; the previous rendering showed per my count 41 floors with a 2-2.5 to 3 story crown, and this one shows 41 floors with no crown.

This is very interesting... I read it as a vote of confidence for the JW project.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2014/11/14/nashvilles-iconic-union-station-hotel-sold/19029951/

Nashville’s iconic Union Station Hotel is under contract to be sold, according to sources familiar with the deal.

The sale of the 125-room hotel is expected to close within the next month. It would come amid strong investor interest in Nashville-area lodging properties and as Union Station’s majority owner Turnberry Associates plans to develop a 35-story JW Marriott Hotel and an office building on 3.7 acres it has under contract across from the Music City Center.

Edited by Guest

"The new, 35-story JW Marriott Nashville will rise on one of the highest elevation points in the city, second only to the Capitol building."

Uhhh...........

8th and Demonbruen sits at 482' according to Google Earth. Rolling Hill Mill is higher.

Elevations_zps54d7e1c0.jpg

Edited to refine data.

Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Someone else mentioned in another thread about the likelihood of this design being the one that actually gets built, and I'm kind of wondering that myself. Just about every project that's been proposed goes through several design changes by the time the projects actually get started (not just a Nashville thing), but I was just curious what everyone's thoughts were. I was thinking that this one might be different because Turnberry is actually self-financing the project and no lenders will be involved. We all know how much relying on a bank to finance a project can affect design. Here's to hoping that this one will be built as is... :alc:

Edited by mirydi
  • Like 1

Someone else mentioned in another thread about the likelihood of this design being the one that actually gets built, and I'm kind of wondering that myself. Just about every project that's been proposed goes through several design changes by the time the projects actually get started (not just a Nashville thing), but I was just curious what everyone's thoughts were. I was thinking that this one might be different because Turnberry is actually self-financing the project and no lenders will be involved. We all know how much relying on a bank to finance a project can affect design. Here's to hoping that this one will be built as is... :alc:

If they mess with what I believe is one of the best designs I've ever seen proposed for Nashville, I'll cut someone.  :angry:

• Like 1

Titanhog - In reference to your height post in the bits and pieces thread, I would agree on your estimate as that is close to my guess. I'm guessing 50' for the base, 350' for the room floors (depending on the floor heights - does anyone know what JWM's floor heights typically are?) and around 60' for the restaurant and cap. So I'm thinking 460' ish and who knows if the plan will change. Likely. Hope not.

Whether or not this will actually be built, the geek in me wants to agree with John in the optimism dept. Based on the last forum meet I feel more confident about 505.

• Like 1

Titanhog - In reference to your height post in the bits and pieces thread, I would agree on your estimate as that is close to my guess. I'm guessing 50' for the base, 350' for the room floors (depending on the floor heights - does anyone know what JWM's floor heights typically are?) and around 60' for the restaurant and cap. So I'm thinking 460' ish and who knows if the plan will change. Likely. Hope not.

Whether or not this will actually be built, the geek in me wants to agree with John in the optimism dept. Based on the last forum meet I feel more confident about 505.

If we get the JWM and 505 in the next 5 years, those two together will possibly have the biggest effect on our skyline since the L&C was built. (505 for height and JWM for design)

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Noticed on Emporis that they list the height of the JWM to be 442 feet...which is taller than Pinnacle.  Hope they're right on their estimate.  They also say a start date of 2016...which I hope is wrong.  I'm thinking this summer or fall (or hoping).

http://www.emporis.com/buildings/1241603/jw-marriott-nashville-nashville-tn-usa

Yeah, the construction start and construction end dates aren't realistic. Regardless, I'll be able to watch that baby rise from my office in the AT&T building. YAY!!!! :yahoo:

Edited by FromParkAveToTN
  • Like 4

I had heard it was going to be closer to 500'. It seems that it may be a while before this starts because they are creeping with the construction of the old Fountain Square for UMP. They have a ways to go before they can relocate out of their current building.

Those are also massive buildings and it will take a while to demolish and clear the site.