Davidson Southeast: Antioch, Century Farms, East of Brentwood

smeagolsfree

Actually, we weren't offered a zip. We were denied a zip code because the PO didn't want to get involved in another one.

I thought at one of the community meetings that we were offered a zip.  I must have misheard.  It's has been a while.  Anyhow, it is nice to hear about the jobs.  

I thought at one of the community meetings that we were offered a zip. I must have misheard. It's has been a while. Anyhow, it is nice to hear about the jobs.

Cane Ridge requested a zip code for the area south of Bell Rd. and west of I-24. The Post Office denied that request because there is not enough demand. However, the Post Office agreed to allow residents to also use Cane Ridge instead of Antioch. Nashville can also be used.

Anyone, ANYWHERE, inside the 37013 zip code can use Cane Ridge. Officially, it is still Antioch. But the insurance companies only looks at the numbers 37013, not the name

• Like 1

... Most cities can not do what Davidson/Nashville was able to do.  I grew up near Pittsburgh and annexation or whatever this is called could not be done.  Pittsburgh is very small sq mi speaking (56 sq miles) There was a community across the river where the stadium's are and it became part of the city many years ago.  I think it doubled the population.  The county has many communities (I believe maybe close to 100) and this joining would never happen. How was this pulled off here without a huge fight? To me, it does make economic sense.to eliminate redundancy in government functions. 

Frankly I do find it a bit odd that more cities haven't done what Nashville and Jacksonville and a few others have, that is merge gov't functions at the county level (not really annexation, that's why it's not all called Nashville).  There are obviously arguments pro and con, some responsible and some purely self-interested, but when you look at places like St. Louis County or suburban Chicago, you see many tiny towns that are barely functional due to lack of tax base; many are too small to support a high school and have to pool with some neighboring towns for this purpose anyway.  One St. Louis suburb, Kinloch, near where I grew up (in Jennings), has virtually been abandoned.

Antioch has had its ups and downs but if they were on their own, the collapse of the mall would probably have left them scrambling to keep the lights on.

• Like 1

I have a question for you folks down in ANTIOCH, echo echo.

There is earth being moved on Bell Rd. on the left, East Bound, about 1/2 to 3/4 mile past Blue Hole. This would be across the street from Bell Rd. Baptist I think.

Looks like about 20 acres being cleared and was curious if you know what is up there?

When I moved here 10 years ago I thought that Bell Rd was one of the worst interchanges I'd ever seen and thought, what were they thinking when they built it.  I avoided that whole mess and used the Parkway Exit.  Was there a Bell Rd exit in existence when Hickory Hollow Mall was built.  I have talked to a fellow who grew up in the Cane Ridge area and he told me about riding his bike to Bell and there was nothing there except a few gas stations.  I don't know how long ago that was.

The Bell Rd.- I-24 exit was built long before a Hickory Hollow or a Hickory anything had been barely conceived at best.  In 1968, I used to go hang around that area frequently.  At Una-Antioch Pike, Antioch Pk, Blue Hole and Mt.View Roads, there barely had been any civilization, much less so-called development.  Even though you weren't around those parts back then, remember now, it wasn't until back in '63 that the county became consolidated as Metro Davidson, and back then only a few outlying areas in the full 360 had just begun to "catch up", so to speak.

Back to the interchange at I-24 and Bell, for some unknown reasons, most likely much of that being political, it had been the state's decision to build the freeway as close as it did to the L&N Railroad (now CSX) in that general area to boot.  You drive anywhere else  along that Interstate, and you don't find many if any parallel side-by-side stretches of that RR with that freeway or any other interstate in this greater region. The I-65-at-OHB interchange is another bad one that had been unanticipated as well, along with the "afterthought" of Armory Dr. at I-65, and the Harding Pl - Sidco - Trousdale confluence near I-65).  The state should have gleaned from the inherent problems that historically US Federal highways have had in close proximity with railroad rights-of-way, even though in this case with Bell and I-24, it's a total separation of grade.  To me it was stupid or at least an acute lack of foresight with best practices, even way back then, to have built an interchange right next to a railroad.

You don't know the half of it, as far as the original Bell and I-24 was concerned.  It had been just a two lane road which passed beneath the RR underpass, and it wasn't until over a decade later that additional lanes had been added outside the original roadway lanes, on the opposite sides of the bridge piers.  So in '68, the city and perhaps the state as well basically "inherited" the long-to-be-discovered bad decision to forgo paying to have the L&N underpass replaced to accommodate expansion of that then lonely and desolate interchange, in part because of no perceived or foreseen issue with undertaking such a measure.  Development hadn't really set in rampantly until the advent of Hickory Hollow Mall around '78.  I vanished and returned in '92 to see a much different layout in the area, now bursting at the seams.  The current layout of Bell Rd and the track still ended up requiring the removal of berm on both sides of the original RR underpass bridge piers and shoring up the berms close to the end abutments by construction of new wing-walls to accommodate the "outside" lane additions.

If the grade levels had been reversed, such that the then-country Bell Rd. would pass over Instead of being below the RR track at the current depressed elevation, which of course would have cost much more, then this could have eliminated the need to surround the bridge piers of the nearby RR, in order to expand Bell Rd.'s capacity.  Of course, then a prohibitive amount of earth moving and back fill would have been necessary to accomplish such an elevation change, which eventually still might have been needed for one reason or another, despite the presence of the Mall and all other commercial activity in proximity.  A full and proper replacement of the RR underpass would require at least a temporary RR run-around structure (as was done during the construction of Briley Pkwy south of Walton Ln in the north, back in 1975), but this would require a soundly built pass-under provision, unlike with Briley, which had been an entirely new roadway).  A permanent realignment of the RR probably would be the most expensive and the most restrictive of any option in the long run.

Again, it was the 50-year-old decision of having an interchange so close to a railroad that seeded this travesty of an intersection, along with the fact that the city never negotiated to replace the RR underpass, which should not come at a cost to CSX.  Generally, it rarely if ever is the responsibility of a railroad to pay for having its bridges/underpasses relocated or replaced to accommodate a roadway below (or above), unless it's the railroad's election to expand.  As an aside, if some "godfathers" of state and the fed every did submit to support an expansion of CSX to accommodate passenger intercity- or commuter-rail along this stretch, then the existing underpass would be the first to go.  Until that century does arrive (if trains still need tracks), then the city and te state seem to remain set on doing as little as possible patch-work on that necessary evil.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 3

Looks as if South Nashville and Antioch are getting a lot of attention this week.

Mayor is proposing a 600 acre park  in the Cane Ridge area.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/environment/2015/05/14/acres-southeast-nashville-planned-park-space/27302801/

Rendering of CHS building released.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2015/05/14/haslam-announce-significant-economic-development-deal/27291317/

HtnzGjP.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Rookzie for the history lesson.  Now the goofy outside lanes make sense.   Still don't like it, but now I will be able to explain to visitors why it's like it is.  

Smeaglesfree, great news on a new park.  The existing Cane Ridge Park is so jam packed on weekends in warmer months with ball fields, model planes, dirt bike path and tennis, I avoid it.  

There is earth being moved on Bell Rd. on the left, East Bound, about 1/2 to 3/4 mile past Blue Hole. This would be across the street from Bell Rd. Baptist I think.

Looks like about 20 acres being cleared and was curious if you know what is up there?

It's been a dirt facility for years. They've changed the landscape - I think this is the going to be the Buckingham property (because I can't imagine they'd clear 20 acres of woods at Blue Hole)

All the excavation from projects like LifePoint and AIG (Seven Springs) has been going there. No current plans for any development, that I am aware of. But one would think that something will happen when the site is flat

Frankly I do find it a bit odd that more cities haven't done what Nashville and Jacksonville and a few others have, that is merge gov't functions at the county level (not really annexation, that's why it's not all called Nashville). There are obviously arguments pro and con, some responsible and some purely self-interested, but when you look at places like St. Louis County or suburban Chicago, you see many tiny towns that are barely functional due to lack of tax base; many are too small to support a high school and have to pool with some neighboring towns for this purpose anyway. One St. Louis suburb, Kinloch, near where I grew up (in Jennings), has virtually been abandoned.

Antioch has had its ups and downs but if they were on their own, the collapse of the mall would probably have left them scrambling to keep the lights on.

The lack of government consolidation has probably far more to do with politics then it has logic. Turf wars... Politics... The fight to hold onto control by people in power... Such lovely things.

It's not all just about development…Nashville to get new 591 acre park (five times the size of Centennnial Park) in Antioch. This goes along with another 1,000+ acres of parkland that have been purchased in Nashville Metro since Karl Dean became mayor.

• Like 4

It's not all just about development…Nashville to get new 591 acre park (five times the size of Centennnial Park) in Antioch. This goes along with another 1,000+ acres of parkland that have been purchased in Nashville Metro since Karl Dean became mayor.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2015/05/15/nashville-mayor-karl-dean-announces-new-park/27403215/

I try not to post everything to give you guys a chance to find and post. Thanks for posting Mark.

Antioch is starting to see a lot more announcements and I am glad to see it. I think there will be more coming as well. Antioch is back from the dead it seems.

• Like 1

I try not to post everything to give you guys a chance to find and post. Thanks for posting Mark.

Antioch is starting to see a lot more announcements and I am glad to see it. I think there will be more coming as well. Antioch is back from the dead it seems.

I'm glad. The proximity to downtown alone should make it attractive. Some positive investment could really turn the area around.

Antioch is not proximate to Downtown. 12 miles according to Google maps.

Doh! I'm an idiot. My perception of it being so close in comparison of murfreesboro distorted my opinion.