Davidson West: Bellevue, Bordeaux, Green Hills, MetroCenter, Nations, N Nashville

smeagolsfree

18 hours ago, markhollin said:

Two adjoining 1 level storefronts at 4914 & 4916 Charlotte Ave. (both circa 1900, and each at 3,00 sq. ft.) have sold for a combined $875,000 to a LLC led by Josh Ritter of Larence Ritter Properties.  Hopefully this will be the start of revitalizing this block which is sorely in need of restoration.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/sylvan-park-retail-buildings-sell-for-875k/article_9fe96676-a3c6-11ec-a11f-0f6887fbda97.html

4914 Charlotte Ave, March 14, 2022.png

973764080_4914CharlotteAveMarch142022sitemap.png

Here's a wider view of the block:

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 3.18.01 PM.png

Seems like the lack of parking is why that area is underutilized, but then again, lack of parking is the standard in Nashville.

45 minutes ago, ThunderOne said:

Seems like the lack of parking is why that area is underutilized, but then again, lack of parking is the standard in Nashville.

Hasn't stopped Headquarters, Rhino Books, and some of the other businesses over there from thriving. I think the biggest issue is just the dilapidated store fronts and probably the intensity of automobiles on Charlotte. 

5 hours ago, ThunderOne said:

There's a big, free public parking lot right across the street. I frequent that area and parking is rarely an issue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, go_outside said:

There's a big, free public parking lot right across the street. I frequent that area and parking is rarely an issue.

Ah, you're right, I forgot about that. I was just thinking you'd have to have a death wish to parallel park directly in front of the stores on Charlotte Ave

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ThunderOne said:

I was just thinking you'd have to have a death wish to parallel park directly in front of the stores on Charlotte Ave

On that note, I think this highlights how out of place this strip of shops is on Charlotte. You have front entranced, sidewalk accessible stores with zero setback attached to a major four lane thoroughfare. I really like the look and feel of these shops, and Charlotte was probably much less intimidating when they were built, but it seems like a bad fit now.

• Like 1

I spend a lot of time in that area on foot and it's not so bad outside of the highest-traffic times. That strip has three relatively close options to cross the street with lights at 46th, 49th, and 51st. The McDonald's and Hugh Baby's turn-ins are the most dangerous parts.  I'm more concerned about the 31st-46th stretch where there are much bigger gaps in safe crossing points and I see a lot of people making questionable jaywalking decisions (and I am a generally pro-jaywalking person). Especially since there are a lot of new alcohol-serving businesses on either side of the street in that section, I'm worried a pedestrian is going to be killed sooner or later. 

• Like 4

One of my biggest gripes about Metro traffic or Transportation, whatever they call themselves now, is they are way too slow to react to the changing neighborhood pedestrian needs as they are happening. There are way too many studies and red tape needed to get things done, and in the meantime its possible several people could be hurt or killed. The council people in some of the districts are also slow to recognize a problem as well. 

I think that is also because they are part time employees stretched way too thin with their duties. I do think Metro should allocate employees such as codes and inspectors based on the population of the district and start work arounds that way.  At least it would be a way to start. Who knows if it would work or not?  I know that Metro probably has way too many chiefs and not enough Indians, not to be racist but using the old adage.

That is always a place to start in any business is to get rid of the middle managers as most of the time they are not needed. The big bosses need to get out and get their hands dirty and do some work instead of getting fat behind a desk and doing needless paperwork to satisfy the boss over that person.

You need a mayor yes, but I think you need a city manager as well. Things in Metro are not done efficiently!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Pdt2fyour comments will arouse a few eyebrows , But your absolutely right. I’ve commented on this before, but it’s a hard sell.               ALL municipalities run on taxes collected, but that word “taxes” has been villainous from the beginning. ALL corporations run on revenue collected from their goods and services,to pay salaries,etc.  and in hopes of substantial profits. As we see exactly that now , with everything going up in price, corporations can and will increase the price to maintain profits. The only way to do that as a governmental municipality is to raise taxes. People will pay the price for their milk, gas, bread, cars, luxuries etc. it’s just looked at in a different way , it’s all in that word “taxes” if they can change that to “operations cost “or “municipalities fund “ maybe that would help. I find it sad , that people will pay whatever for unnecessary luxuries, but are unwilling to pay the price to keep their towns and cities at the level of goods and services that they expect and demand. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

@Pdt2fyour comments will arouse a few eyebrows , But your absolutely right. I’ve commented on this before, but it’s a hard sell.               ALL municipalities run on taxes collected, but that word “taxes” has been villainous from the beginning. ALL corporations run on revenue collected from their goods and services,to pay salaries,etc.  and in hopes of substantial profits. As we see exactly that now , with everything going up in price, corporations can and will increase the price to maintain profits. The only way to do that as a governmental municipality is to raise taxes. People will pay the price for their milk, gas, bread, cars, luxuries etc. it’s just looked at in a different way , it’s all in that word “taxes” if they can change that to “operations cost “or “municipalities fund “ maybe that would help. I find it sad , that people will pay whatever for unnecessary luxuries, but are unwilling to pay the price to keep their towns and cities at the level of goods and services that they expect and demand. 

Exactly. I remember back in 2020 when Metro was in the unfortunate position of having to raise property taxes. The alternative was massive cutbacks in services, including PD and fire, to the point where the city wouldn’t be able to function. Probably bankruptcy and being taken over by the state, a la Detroit or Birmingham, was in the future. People just didn’t believe it. I had neighbors who were just absolutely convinced, without evidence, that Metro had plenty of money but they were just wasting it on special interests. Like somehow the city spent so much money painting slogans on roads in east Nashville that they can’t afford to pay cops. Someone on 99.7 told them or something. Meanwhile I was having discussions with council members who were considering resignation if the budget wasn’t passed, and fiscal personnel in various crucial departments who were having to come up with various plans for how to deal with losing half of their funding. It’s insane. 

It’s like the owner of a McDonald’s refusing to pay more for employees, and then getting infuriated that the place is a disaster during the lunch rush when there’s only 2 people working and no burgers left. 

• Like 4

As I said Metro needs a City Manager to get the city out of the mess and take the responsibility of the day to day running of Metro. I think funds are not sent where they need to be sent and many government services can be farmed out. They are going to have to get with the plan and eventually do more tax increases. The price of everything is going up, so the taxes will have too as well. I think there should be a built-in increment increase on a yearly basis, so you do not have the huge increase that you had to have this past year. The tax increase will have to be tied to COL and inflation now.

I know they can't keep people in codes, can't collect garbage, can't hire enough police, fire and EMT personnel, so they are going to have to pay more. The fact now is that a lot of folks can go to Costco and make as much as a starting police officer in some of the outlying counties and will not have to out your life on the line stocking shelves.

The next thing is what they had to do years ago in other large cities and that is maybe to cut some services. I know that is not going to be very popular, but when you have labor shortages and budget shortfalls that is an alternative. Metro has been poorly run for a long long time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pdt2f said:

Exactly. I remember back in 2020 when Metro was in the unfortunate position of having to raise property taxes. The alternative was massive cutbacks in services, including PD and fire, to the point where the city wouldn’t be able to function. Probably bankruptcy and being taken over by the state, a la Detroit or Birmingham, was in the future. People just didn’t believe it. I had neighbors who were just absolutely convinced, without evidence, that Metro had plenty of money but they were just wasting it on special interests. Like somehow the city spent so much money painting slogans on roads in east Nashville that they can’t afford to pay cops. Someone on 99.7 told them or something. Meanwhile I was having discussions with council members who were considering resignation if the budget wasn’t passed, and fiscal personnel in various crucial departments who were having to come up with various plans for how to deal with losing half of their funding. It’s insane. 

It’s like the owner of a McDonald’s refusing to pay more for employees, and then getting infuriated that the place is a disaster during the lunch rush when there’s only 2 people working and no burgers left. 

Is there a document somewhere that outlines what the city is spending their money on?  I would like to take a look at it out of curiosity.  I tried to look at some point but gave up because whatever I was looking at did not offer the level of granularity I wanted to see.

Thanks in advance

Edited by ThunderOne

10 minutes ago, ThunderOne said:

Is there a document somewhere that outlines what the city is spending their money on?  I would like to take a look at it out of curiosity.

Thanks in advance

I’m sure there is, but I have no idea where. I’m pretty sure the city budget is public record. 

21 hours ago, rookzie said:

Many local governments, including Metro Nashville, house that information freely accessible on a Website, but that information often can be readily available in print as well ─ the latter format probably for a fee.  Local officials are legally required to have that information publicly available.

Additionally, all public offices are also required to submit their financial statements to independent review in a report called a Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, or CAFR.  A CAFR ─ casually pronounced as "KAFF-ur" ─ provides detailed information concerning the office’s financial management, and gives insight into the finances of a city or county.   A CAFR is essentially a city "report-card", so people can see how public funds are being managed by the government.  So in that respect the report should be granular, mostly in tabulated reference format.  Usually the current-period statement will be accompanied with archived reports of preceding years ─ typically 3 to 5.

For Nashville, one can start here on the Web: https://www.nashville.gov/departments/finance

Site navigation can be done either with the left-floating "Navigation" menu or with the cascading "bread-crumb" (hierarchical '>') elements below the heading.

Many governments have adopted a fiscal year as July 01 to June 30, or Oct 01-Sep 30, but it does vary.  Frequently the period is subdivided as quarterly or and/or monthly.  I've never bothered to look over the reports for Nashville, but I have pored over and "scoured" those of a few places like Detroit, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Cincinnati, and OKC.

Thank you!

On 3/11/2022 at 11:18 AM, markhollin said:

Sky Nashville (3 & 4 stories, 123 units) southwest of the I-40/I-440 split is now fully underway. New renderings and info at NashvilleNowNext here:

https://nashvillenownext.com/2022/03/11/site-clearing-starts-at-the-sky-nashville-development-near-sylvan-heights/

Sky Nashville, March 11, 2022, render 1.png

Sky Nashville, March 11, 2022, render 2.png

Sky Nashville, March 11, 2022, render 3.png

Sky Nashville, March 11, 2022, render 4.png

Sky Nashville, March 11, 2022, render 5.png

Sky Nashville, March 11, 2022, render 6.png

Sky Nashville, March 11, 2022, render 7.png

Sky Nashville, March 11, 2022, render 8.png

Sky Nashville, March 11, 2022, 1.png

Sky Nashville, March 11, 2022, 2.png

Sky Nashville, March 11, 2022, site map.png

I can now say with 100% certainty this is not happening. The person is not a developer and a land banker only. The story will come out Monday. As you know a few of us have always had doubts about everything this guy has proposed. Nothing special is going to go here either. Do not get your hopes up.

• Sad 4