BROADWEST (former West End Summit), 36 story Conrad Hilton Hotel/condo tower, 22 story/510,000 sq. ft. office tower, 4 story/125,000 sq. ft. retail/office, 1 acre plaza, 2,500 car garage, $490 million

it's just dave

Well, I think what you posted was a little more appropriate.

Seriously, this entire parcel of land and all his plans are more than a bad joke now. It is time for Metro to force his hands somehow and develop the property, or fill the hole I or sell the land.

One of the reasons we have not heard from him, I believe he has been humiliated, but his ego will not let him know he has been humiliated.

• Like 4

This is just a SWAG (with less emphasis on the statistical), but I thought I'd see just what sort of a developer Palmer is.  

I found this photo via the Tennessean.com website.  635657406309461266-85then04-055.jpg

They have a monthly series called "Nashville Then (mo/yr)".  Here is his Palmer Plaza under construction in April 1985.  The caption says it cost $30 million. Wow!!!   That was a lot of money back then.... and wondered what it would be worth today.  A dollar present-value calculator estimates that amount at around $66 million.  Okay... so he made income on the property (assuming what cap rate?)... assuming generously at 7%... or around $2 million in its first year... straightline annuity over thirty years....and sells this year for $50 million.  Without doing the excruciating math... I have concluded that he could have done a helluvalot better if he had just invested that amount in the stock market with an indexed fund. Granted, he would not have had the whole $30 million (as he would have been using investors' money)... but still!! What am I missing?  

• Like 1

^^^ Is that smaller white building across the street the Corinthian Lodge that I always hear about? I was around in those days, but just don't remember the building.

Edit; Never mind. I just realized the direction of this photo. That's looking towards Broadway. That white building still exists if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by nashvillwill

^^^ Is that smaller white building across the street the Corinthian Lodge that I always hear about? I was around in those days, but just don't remember the building.

Edit; Never mind. I just realized the direction of this photo. That's looking towards Broadway. That white building still exists if I'm not mistaken.

If I remember correctly it was a funeral home that was torn down to make way for the Hilton Garden Inn / Home2.  

No, it's been gone, replaced by the Bristol.  That was a J.B.Knowles assist. Live.Home ─ between Broadway in the front, Division in the rear.

-==-

Ahh, whoops!  Rookzie is correct in that it was an assisted living facility - though I do believe it was replaced by the HGI / Home2 and not the Bristol development.  

Ahh, whoops!  Rookzie is correct in that it was an assisted living facility - though I do believe it was replaced by the HGI / Home2 and not the Bristol development.  

Actually, it wasn't an assisted living facility, it was the Knowles Center of Senior Citizen's, Inc.  Active senior center and headquarters for their programs serving active and frail, home-bound seniors.  SCI sold that property in 2003 when they moved the Knowles Center to the ground floor of their new headquarters, the Patricia Hart building, located on Raines Ave on the corner of the fair grounds. SCI changed their name a few years later to Fifty Forward.

The original Knowles Center had been a school. Metro leased it to SCI for $1 a year, if I remember right.

I believe the Knowles Home is on Camilla Caldwell, but I think it used to be in the Melrose area.

Edited by Nashville Cliff
  • Like 1

Thanks for the correction; I have avoided B'wy at all costs, such that I have lost my touch, you know....

-==-

Actually, it wasn't an assisted living facility, it was the Knowles Center of Senior Citizen's, Inc.  Active senior center and headquarters for their programs serving active and frail, home-bound seniors.  SCI sold that property in 2003 when they moved the Knowles Center to the ground floor of their new headquarters, the Patricia Hart building, located on Raines Ave on the corner of the fair grounds. SCI changed their name a few years later to Fifty Forward.

The original Knowles Center had been a school. Metro leased it to SCI for $1 a year, if I remember right.

I believe the Knowles Home is on Camilla Caldwell, but I think it used to be in the Melrose area.

Seems to have been a Knowles something or another here and there.  The the old Tate Manor building on the corner of Heiman St. and 23rd Ave. N. used to be a Knowles, and the old'unz used to wave at us kids from their rockers on the porch, while we were on our way to play on the train tracks behind it.  That particular Knowles had been of a similar Georgian-style to that of the one near Reservoir (Hermitage Hall, at present I believe), with combined masonry parapet and chimneys on each flank.

-==-

This site from the Nashville Public Library shows a photo of the Broadway Presbyterian Church from 1911...which later became the Corinthian Lodge.  This is what Palmer tore down.

http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1035

This site from the Nashville Public Library shows a photo of the Broadway Presbyterian Church from 1911...which later became the Corinthian Lodge.  This is what Palmer tore down.

What are you suggesting... that Palmer gives developers a bad rep?  [tongue planted firmly in cheek]

What are you suggesting... that Palmer gives developers a bad rep?  [tongue planted firmly in cheek]

Haha!  I think he's gone way past giving developers a bad rep!  But...just answering nashvillwill's question about what the Corinthian Lodge looked like (before Palmer blew it up and dug a hole).  :shok:

• Like 3

Haha!  I think he's gone way past giving developers a bad rep!  But...just answering nashvillwill's question about what the Corinthian Lodge looked like (before Palmer blew it up and dug a hole).  :shok:

It had been a superb structure (to me, at least) and an asset to the dichotomy of styles on the main drag in midtown.  What set it off for me was the yellow-orange brick with matching columns made of curved brick of the same material.

-==-

• Like 2

Hell.. the way Palmer had designed his dual towers with motor court, the whole damn thing could have been built without touching the Corinthian Lodge... and something like that would have made a great urban contrast between the very old and the new (I know... assuming he had been able to get the thing out of the hole). 

• Like 3

Quit posting that picture...the thought that beautiful building was replaced with a soggy pit makes my stomach turn.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Crews were out this week working on the WES "coming soon" sign and repairing its lighting (which had somehow been damaged back in the fall or winter). I'm clinging to a glimmer to hope that it means -- for better or worse -- that somebody somewhere still thinks this project has legs and hasn't been totally abandoned. Call me an optimist.

• Like 2