CU-ICAR/Millennium Campus

JCT

Why not? It is plenty of close by, anyway, still got to get gas so people can stop to and from their drive from work.

We were discussing transitioning CU-ICAR from a suburban office park to an urban node of activity.

A gas station is fine on that corner. However, I don't think we should let it solely satisfy the needs of the campus employees. Taking the activity and placing it off site isn't going to achieve what was being discussed. If we take that approach, then there should also be no need to have cafes and restaurants on the campus either due to its proximity to Woodruff Rd.

We were discussing transitioning CU-ICAR from a suburban office park to an urban node of activity.

A gas station is fine on that corner. However, I don't think we should let it solely satisfy the needs of the campus employees. Taking the activity and placing it off site isn't going to achieve what was being discussed. If we take that approach, then there should also be no need to have cafes and restaurants on the campus either due to its proximity to Woodruff Rd.

In keeping with the mission of ICAR, I think the gas station is OK, BUT, only if it features plug-in charging stations for electric cars, a low-water-use car wash, clean air emissions testing technology, a transit stop on Greenlink, plenty of green plantings, etc, etc....a chance for ICAR to partner with the station owner and show off an "Energy Fueling Station" of the future.

Edited by gsupstate

In keeping with the mission of ICAR, I think the gas station is OK, BUT, only if it features plug-in charging stations for electric cars, a low-water-use car wash, clean air emissions testing technology, a transit stop on Greenlink, plenty of green plantings, etc, etc....a chance for ICAR to partner with the station owner and show off an "Energy Fueling Station" of the future.

That would be perfect! Even still however, I'd prefer that it be on the campus.

CU-ICAR continues to be a magnet. Baha SAE Carolina event. From the article:

Baja SAE Carolina, run by the Society for Automotive Engineers, has 100 teams signed up from Canada, Mexico and Brazil, and across the U.S. It will be held April 8-11 and features events to test each vehicle’s design, power, acceleration and maneuverability followed by an endurance race that will pit all teams on a suspension-busting, one-and-a-half mile course.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20100217/BUSINESS/2170308/1004/NEWS01/Global-student-vehicle-competition-puts-Greenville-ICAR-in-spotlight

I'd love to see that old Red Roof Inn at the corner of Laurens / 85 torn down. Replace it with a more modern 7 or 8 story Doubletree.

Personally, I'd like to see one the the new Element by Westin hotels built on that location, or perhaps another location adjacent to ICAR. They're contemporary, relatively green and a definitely a great value. Here's an example in Lexington, Mass., just off I-95 (Route 128 to the long-time locals) in a high-technology corridor: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/element/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=3210

Edited by RiverWalker

Sage Automotive is going to locate its international headquarters at ICAR according to this article: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20100224/BUSINESS/2240348/Auto-fabric-company-brings-entpreneurial-flavor-to-ICAR

Excellent news! :thumbsup::thumbsup: From what I hear, expect even more announcements in a fairly short time. I think we've hit the point that we can safely say ICAR is a great success.

Edited by gsupstate

Excellent news! :thumbsup::thumbsup: From what I hear, expect even more announcements in a fairly short time. I think we've hit the point that we can safely say ICAR is a great success.

I'm not sure what info you have, but just from the News article, it definitely sounds like there's some more things in the works...

Proterra, alone, is going to bring lots of jobs online. With 675 people currently working on the campus and all of the additional people in the next few years being added to that, I wonder when we'll be seeing the I-85/Laurens Rd interchange upgraded? That cloverleaf arrangement is going to be a nasty mess before it gets better.

It would even be nice if the state could simply assist Greenville in mass transit and maybe creating an urban growth boundary (??). A UGB would be difficult, I think, for Greenville to attempt alone with the number of municipalities that would be involved and the County... I'm not sure what the state could do, but it'd sure be a more simple fix than upgrading roads continuously... Plus, the added density and planning measures would assist in mass transit's effectiveness.

Edited by GvilleSC

I believe it should be. So, is this directly on Laurens Rd?

I couldn't tell the equipment appeared to be cutting a road down into the woods.Equipment was on the the left hand side if you turn into the campus from Laurens rd.There was also equipment beside Red Roof Inn working back towards the campus main rd.

As if on cue, your comment has been reinforced by a nice editorial in today's edition of The Greenville News. :)

A flurry of announcements about new tenants and events at Clemson’s International Center for Automotive Research is more proof that the research park is beginning to live up to its expectations.

027-15.jpg

I was stopped at the light in front of this wall this week. Noticed that this is going to be waaayyyyy more than just a brick wall with signage. There is a massive foundation that has been poured in front of the wall....sort of a very wide, open X shape. Very curious what the finished product will look like. Anyone have any renderings?