CU-ICAR/Millennium Campus

JCT

These complexes are helping to create density but I also hope they take this opportunity to improve infrastructure to this area. Sidewalks are missing in much of this part of town and people in multifamily buildings seem to be more willing to walk if they could get anywhere without huffing it through grass and trash alongside the road.

I just reviewed the application for the Vinings @ ICAR and I hope to goodness it does not get passed. They are horrendous looking, and in my opinion do little to create density. The amount of blacktop space is ridiculous. Density is created when something like McBee Station and the adjacent apartments are built. The Vinings @ ICAR have a terrible amount of black top space. Condense all the parking and redesign the exterior of the apartments and I'll be content.

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

I saw cranes gently removing the Clemson spire and loading it on a flatbed. No apparent damage. Had me wondering why, too. All kinds of thoughts - is Clemson pulling out; are those two buildings going "rogue" (ha!) or are they more likely going to replace it with some Marketing-driven campus-wide branding effort? I guess we just get to "stay tuned."

I saw cranes gently removing the Clemson spire and loading it on a flatbed. No apparent damage. Had me wondering why, too. All kinds of thoughts - is Clemson pulling out; are those two buildings going "rogue" (ha!) or are they more likely going to replace it with some Marketing-driven campus-wide branding effort? I guess we just get to "stay tuned."

I heard that a "certain someone" at Clemson was not happy with the spire after numerous businessmen passing through made comments that they "never saw CU-ICAR". I hear another, larger, more prominent unit will replace it.....more waste of dollars.

Don't know how true this is.....just what I heard.

How can you not see CU-ICAR?!? It's very visible from the interstate, there are mentions of it on the road signs going both north and south on I-85, and the old sign was simple but certainly noticeable. With that said, I'm okay with a new sign if the powers that be feel it is needed. Everything about CU-ICAR has been top notch, so I trust those guys.

• 1 month later...

The city approved new apartments in Millennium, so it might be those.

The amount of "slash and burn" at this site is sad. I've been out of town much of the last month and was horrified to see the acres of mature trees that have been cut down for these apartments when I was by there this afternoon. When will Greenville grow up and adopt some tougher laws about trees / "slash and burn"?

Edited by gs3

The amount of "slash and burn" at this site is sad. I've been out of town much of the last month and was horrified to see the acres of mature trees that have been cut down for these apartments when I was by there this afternoon. When will Greenville grow up and adopt some tougher laws about trees / "slash and burn"?

Isn't it out of the city limits though or do you mean Greenville county?

Isn't it out of the city limits though or do you mean Greenville county?

It's in the city. If you think this is bad, you should see the Verdae apartment site on Rocky Slope Road. Not one single tree left standing. Hopefully both complexes will have a lot of trees planted once complete.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20120825/NEWS/308250012/Greenville-puts-money-muscle-behind-tree-rules

Edited by citylife

Sign is now up at Millennium Campus for the future middle school.

This middle school will have a focus on science, technology, engineering and math and will be located at the Clemson University International Center for Automotive Research campus. The 136,000-square-foot building will serve 750 students.

Architects: McMillan Pazdan Smith Architecture, Spartanburg, in association with Fielding Nair International, Minneapolis

Engineers: Land Art Design Group, Greenville; McCutchen Engineering, Spartanburg; EDS Designs, Greensboro, N.C.; Buford Goff and Associates, Columbia; Carolina Engineering Solutions, Greenville and MMSA, Greenville

Estimated completion: May 2014

Estimated cost: $25 million

Rendering:

3d5ce3566f378dfff2893501d6b65104.jpg

• 2 weeks later...