CU-ICAR/Millennium Campus

JCT

Noticed a cool little detail while biking through ICAR this morning. The Clemson tiger paw is etched into randomly spaced bricks and pavers throughout the first collaboration neighborhood. Only about 2 inches, they are easy to miss. When I started to search, found they are everywhere....just very random. Kinda cool detail.

_MG_2581.jpg

I agree that they're a cool little detail, but I shudder to think how much cost was involved. These pavers were put in after the fact, meaning that there were "plain" pavers in their places before, then workers came back in, removed the plain pavers and replaced them with these. This is probably relatively minor item, but when you see this kind of thing go on here at ICAR day-after-day, you start to wonder why...

Edited by hodgie

I agree that they're a cool little detail, but I shudder to think how much cost was involved. These pavers were put in after the fact, meaning that there were "plain" pavers in their places before, then workers came back in, removed the plain pavers and replaced them with these. This is probably relatively minor item, but when you see this kind of thing go on here at ICAR day-after-day, you start to wonder why...

Who knows, maybe they were meant to go in originally and it was the installers' fault? Or, they wanted to wait out construction to prevent damage and it was planned all along? Nonetheless, if lots of additional costs are being added it could definitely get out of hand. The great thing though, is that ICAR has been developed in a first class way. It should all pay off, too, with more companies investing at the campus. This will translate to construction jobs before most likely becoming high-paying permanent jobs. Without cutting corners, I think we'll possibly see even great results! ;)

I think anyone would have to look long and hard to find something remotely like CU-ICAR. This isn't your boring office park or complex.

Don't know it it has anything to do with the campus, but noticed the past couple days the Waffle House on Laurens Rd. and 85 interchange has been closed. There is a large dumpster out front now. Didnt know if they are remodeling and need to remove the tar covered ceilings and walls or if something is going there related to ICAR.

Maybe I dreamed it, but I thought there was a rendering floating around here on UP. I've looked through this thread....can't find it. I remember it looks very retro-mod....almost Jetsons. I thought. Am I dreaming? :dontknow:

There were several trucks dumping cement where the signage is to go, so it looks like it is indeed going up.

Who knows, maybe they were meant to go in originally and it was the installers' fault? Or, they wanted to wait out construction to prevent damage and it was planned all along? Nonetheless, if lots of additional costs are being added it could definitely get out of hand. The great thing though, is that ICAR has been developed in a first class way. It should all pay off, too, with more companies investing at the campus. This will translate to construction jobs before most likely becoming high-paying permanent jobs. Without cutting corners, I think we'll possibly see even great results! ;)

I think anyone would have to look long and hard to find something remotely like CU-ICAR. This isn't your boring office park or complex.

I'm not knocking the concept behind ICAR, nor am I against it being developed as a first-class facility...afterall, I work there, and owe my livelihood to its existence. But, as I posted previously, there have been a lot of things that seem to have been extremely wasteful throughout the process. For example, as I write this there is a crew with jackhammers and sledgehammers working to tear down a section of a wall for the monolith/campus garden along I-85 (BTW, what the "monolith" part will be is apparently still TBD), which was poured on/about Monday. I'm sure that there's a perfectly legitimate reason for them to do so, but they don't seem to be in any hurry to get it finished. I'm not accusing anyone of anything, I just can't help buy wonder how much oversight has been involved in these projects.

For example, as I write this there is a crew with jackhammers and sledgehammers working to tear down a section of a wall for the monolith/campus garden along I-85 (BTW, what the "monolith" part will be is apparently still TBD), which was poured on/about Monday. I'm sure that there's a perfectly legitimate reason for them to do so, but they don't seem to be in any hurry to get it finished. I'm not accusing anyone of anything, I just can't help buy wonder how much oversight has been involved in these projects.

If that's the case, then that particular element sounds like it could be a design-build aspect. Then, there's a possibility that its nature is rather innovative and so precedents could be rare or non-existent. There could be a logical explanation, but who knows???

I'm looking forward to seeing what they create!

Hi hodgie, since you work at ICAR, do you know if the rooftop patio / garden can be rented out for small professional events by non ICAR companies? Unique perspective / view from there. :thumbsup:

I've never heard anything about renting it out, but I suppose its possible. There have been quite a few gatherings put on in the Carolina First Gallery in the past, so I would think that something might be able to be worked out for the patio as well...just a guess, though.

I've never heard anything about renting it out, but I suppose its possible. There have been quite a few gatherings put on in the Carolina First Gallery in the past, so I would think that something might be able to be worked out for the patio as well...just a guess, though.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Such a beautiful day today.....hiked the old rail line that runs through ICAR. It follows some really neat terrain....several creeks, ravines, marsh areas, rock outcroppings. Just playing with the camera. Looking forward to the distant day these tracks are new and have rapid rail.

IMG_3542.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Seems that Daimler / Mercedes is looking at CU-ICAR for a research center for Hybrid technology. Greenville is one of four locations under consideration, the others being sites in NC, Michigan and California. Even though Mercedes has manufacturing in Alabama, apparently they are not on the list.

The new research facility will employ around 225 people (highly paid) and focus 100% on Hybrid technlogy.

Great to know we are in the running of the final four, though I can't imagine Daimler coming into the back yard of their number one competitor BMW. We'll see.....

An article I found on the topic:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20090317/FREE/903179995

Unfortunately and I have this on good authority that we're not going to land it. :(

So what do you know?

As of today, the decision has not been made.

Who is landing it? NC, California, or Michigan?

Why are we not landing it?

If you have on "good authority" that we are indeed not landing it, then your "good authority" should also know why we aren't.

"It was the Detroit work force," said David Trebing, general manager of state and local relations for Daimler, when asked why the company chose Michigan over South Carolina.

This is yet another reason why our relatively poor, uneducated workforce must be addressed sooner rather than later. It's not just a Greenville, problem, but rather a state-level issue. It's also a cultural/family issue, and I'm not sure what we can do about that.

It would have been wonderful to land this. I'm disappointed that it didn't happen. Would have been a nice feather in CU-ICAR's hat, as well as Greenville's.

"It was the Detroit work force," said David Trebing, general manager of state and local relations for Daimler, when asked why the company chose Michigan over South Carolina.

This is yet another reason why our relatively poor, uneducated workforce must be addressed sooner rather than later. It's not just a Greenville, problem, but rather a state-level issue. It's also a cultural/family issue, and I'm not sure what we can do about that.

It would have been wonderful to land this. I'm disappointed that it didn't happen. Would have been a nice feather in CU-ICAR's hat, as well as Greenville's.

People coming out of high school or tech schools would not be getting these jobs. GSP is an engineering hub. The GM's comment is a politically correct answer to a reporter's question. The tax incentives were the key, is my guess.

The list of near misses in the last few years is getting quite long, Volkswagon, Mercedes, Rolls Royce, ...

The list of near misses in the last few years is getting quite long, Volkswagon, Mercedes, Rolls Royce, ...

This was my thought as well. We have been able to nab quite a few jobs/develolpments as well of course, but none really of this magnitude. Perhaps the carbon motor thing will materialize. Anyone know if we are offering any incentives?

People coming out of high school or tech schools would not be getting these jobs. The GM's comment is a politically correct answer to a reporter's question. The tax incentives were the key, is my guess.

While the incentives must have been a significant factor in the decision, that would not have been the only factor. In spite of Greenville's proximity to Clemson and in spite of the beautiful new ICAR campus (and its potential, which is yet to be realized), one can not overlook the engineering powerhouse that is Big Blue, the University of Michigan. We still have some catching up to do.

I moved to the Upstate 12 years ago from Washtenaw County - in fact, the very area in which this facility will most likely be located. The quality of life here is at least as good as, and in some ways - e.g., weather - superior to, the Ann Arbor area. Personally, however, I prefer it here, which is why I'm staying.

The decision wasn't a slam-dunk, however. For instance, the Detroit Free Press noted that "Already, a subsidiary called Mercedes-Benz Hybrid LLC has 14 employees in Michigan, according to the briefing memo provided to the Free Press."

The DFP article went on to say:

"The Michigan Economic Development Corp. is recommending a 100% employment tax credit for 10 years for up to 223 employees, which is expected to bring $9.9 million in company investment over five years.

"The memo notes that Michigan is at a competitive disadvantage compared with sites in Greenville, South Carolina [emphasis mine] and the research triangle area of North Carolina, which includes universities in Durham, Chapel Hill and Raleigh.

"The biggest disadvantage, according to the memo, is wages and benefits. North and South Carolina also have experienced significant growth relating to hybrid vehicle technology development."

Obviously industry leaders are recognizing the technological growth that the Carolinas have experienced in recent years, and the benefits to be enjoyed from the lower cost of living here and, therefore, the lower wage base. As you can see, Michigan's economic incentives really HAD to have been made in order to overcome those factors.

What SC needs is something like the Michigan Economic Growth Authority (MEGA) to become more competitive when it comes to incentives.

RW

One thing to keep in mind is that Michigan has a highly-rained unemployed workforce readily available. That's not to say we don't have our educational issues... but I'm thinking that the large layoffs that the region went through actually helped them to land the project.

One thing to keep in mind is that Michigan has a highly-rained unemployed workforce readily available. That's not to say we don't have our educational issues... but I'm thinking that the large layoffs that the region went through actually helped them to land the project.

That is an excellent point I had not thought of. :thumbsup:

I also agree with the sentiment mentioned earlier regarding the incentives likely being the key factor in all of this. Complimenting Michigan's workforce was probably just a nice way of avoiding the specifics of their decision. :)